Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lion Of Flanders - Flanders Faction Mod

Default Re: The Lion Of Flanders - Flanders Faction Mod

this looks really good, downloading now

good work!

I've added some comments to the download page.

Hello ! First : sorry for my bad english !

I think it is a good idea, and I like your realisation.

But I have some things to say about new units.

Here it is :

Badelaar Militia, nothing to say.

Goedendag Militia : Very good idea, but there is a problem : armor.

Goedendag was used by peasants and "low cast" against armored units and chivalric knights.

It was a simple weapon easy to create, and very good against armor. But it was used by fighters who had no money. No money for a chainmail, no money for armor.

So I think you should replace "peasants" by "goedendag militia", with good characteristics against armor and against cavalry. It should stay cheap.

Eventualy, you could add "armored goedendag militia", unit armored with chainmail, but not with full plates... it seems nonsense to me.

I think you should add heavy bourgeois or merchants... Flanders were rules by bourgeois and "low class" ; Nobles were there but powers were limited. The big part of the army was bourgeois on foot, more armored and richers than nobles of the country.

So less cavalry, less knights, more bourgeois (merchants, maybe "milician" type, free inside of the walls), more "foot units"-militia, makes big battles like Courtrai, Bouvines, etc.

What do you think about it ?

I agree with Floren. The only thing I'm not so sure about is adding more cities. I think it's good as it is now. (Bruges and Antwerp)

Quote Originally Posted by Floren d'Asteneuz View Post
    Hello ! First : sorry for my bad english !

I think it is a good idea, and I like your realisation.

But I have some things to say about new units.

Here it is :

Badelaar Militia, nothing to say.

Goedendag Militia : Very good idea, but there is a problem : armor.

Goedendag was used by peasants and "low cast" against armored units and chivalric knights.

It was a simple weapon easy to create, and very good against armor. But it was used by fighters who had no money. No money for a chainmail, no money for armor.

So I think you should replace "peasants" by "goedendag militia", with good characteristics against armor and against cavalry. It should stay cheap.

Eventualy, you could add "armored goedendag militia", unit armored with chainmail, but not with full plates... it seems nonsense to me.

I think you should add heavy bourgeois or merchants... Flanders were rules by bourgeois and "low class" ; Nobles were there but powers were limited. The big part of the army was bourgeois on foot, more armored and richers than nobles of the country.

So less cavalry, less knights, more bourgeois (merchants, maybe "milician" type, free inside of the walls), more "foot units"-militia, makes big battles like Courtrai, Bouvines, etc.

What do you think about it ?
    I love your ideas!

Could you perhaps be more specific as to what units the bourgeois and merchants would be like? I.e weapons etc.

I would really love to add em as they would make Flanders stand out a bit more from the other factions.

If any have more suggestions, keep 'em coming

Hello !

@SimonL : I did not talk about adding some cities, I talked about great battle of Flanders It was just exemples of what did flanders at thoses years

@Dezzerx :

About Bourgeois : They were rich men. Verry rich men. They had the best armor, as noble did elsewhere. So chainmail, and after : full plate.

They were not by horse, like unmounted knights. They had political power in flanders, and money... And they wanted to keep it !

The weapons are swords, hammer, ("bec-de-corbin") spears (against horses, too ! and becoming halebards later), badelaars, everything not exotical is open. (no danish axe, no scimtar, no war elephants... )

They are just the Elite of wariors in Flanders, as nobles are in the rest of Europe.

There is some nobles knights, but they are rares. Counts and Duc's Bodygards.

This is a faction with almost no cavalry, but with very strong milicia (bourgeois, etc)

Bourgeois are merchants... Rich merchants. They don't buy war horses, and they will fight for their cities... So you can count them as "militia", because they do not cost anything inside cities.

That's all I have about Flanders... It is summarized, and there is lots of things to say about Flanders, but there is lots of things I do not know !

Try a search on wikipedia. It is not a source... It is a reference.

Regards,

Floren
    Last edited by Floren d'Asteneuz; March 31, 2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Forgot Hallebards

I was wondering if you know or maybe think that this mod could work with Zeph's faction mods. I have all of them in my game and I know that the limit of factions you can have is 30. Im just wondering if there will be any issues from the mods mixing?
    "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy."
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

DeZzErX,

Thank you for creating this mod, it's a great idea
    Do you have plans for creating more authentic character names? I see you have already included a few. Have a look at the Character Names Project by De Rougemont. If you want I can help you with this (I helped creating the French and Polish lists).

I agree that some of the unit skins look a bit too "canary yellow". I'd prefer a more subdued look. Or even a mix of different colours, to reflect that the troops are made up of different city militias. I do realise this is a lot of work.

Someone suggested replacing Antwerp by Ghent. As much as I'd like to see my hometown on the map, I'd rather have Antwerp so I have something to plunder

Now we just need to find someone who can create historical battles...
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Hello !

I like your ideas

Concerning Antwerp, at this period, it was in Brabant, not in Flanders, so it is more historicaly correct not to use it.... But the city could be in "rebels" faction...

I think there is lots of cities to add.... But it is a lots of work !

I find your idea of mixing colors very interesting... Heraldicaly speaking, there is lots of work, but that could be great to see Antwerpen's two hand and tower, or blason of Brugge inside a battle !

If I can help...

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

About adding more diverse unit skins: no need to go overboard there. In fact I think there is a limit to the number of different skins/shields that you can add to a particular unit. If you have two or three colours (say, off-white, yellow and brown) you'll already get a lot of variety. Again, about the heraldry (emblems on uniform and shields), just a few will do. Maybe go for Bruges, Ghent and Ypres as I believe they were the major cities in Flanders at the time.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

I agree with that.

I can add different shields with heraldry of the different city militias, but then you might see a militia man from Brugge fight next to a militia man from Gent for instance. Now imo that wouldn't be a bad thing perse, but I was wondering what your opinion was on that.

I'm gonna start work on the next release today, I was also thinking of adding a new mercenary unit in the Bruges province. I would like to add the Kerels and equip them with Sax. I would like, before I make a decision on that, to hear you're opinions on that.
    Last edited by DeZzErX; April 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM.

Pagan.

WoTN Member. Skinner.

Lion of Flanders 1.1 mod:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88837

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

hi,
    any other mod by "you" ??
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Updated 27 April 2007, check first post

@Methoz, nope as for now this is my only mod

PS: I have not added Gent or any other citys yet.

Also Deus Lo Vult will include Flanders in its 2.3 release! Defenatly checking out as DLV adds a lot features to the overall gameplay of MTW2 and 2.3 will even add Flanders Can't wait!

Pagan.

WoTN Member. Skinner.

Default Re: The Lion Of Flanders - Flanders Faction Mod UPDATE 27/04/07 V1.1 Released

Uploaded some new screenshots at the download page, the previous ones were taking using a low-end machine which made the units looky smirky and just plain bad.

These ones should be better.

Pagan.

WoTN Member. Skinner.

Default Re: The Lion Of Flanders - Flanders Faction Mod UPDATE 27/04/07 V1.1 Released

Verry good idea !

Your work is beautifull. Hope to see Antwerpen's armories on it soon !

Just strange seeing collors on those shield, because heraldry was not on old shields, (nor on old shirt) but I hope to see it on other shields too

So remove the heraldry from the kite/round shields then? I could perhaps give the Kite and Round shields the colors from the heraldic designs but not put the lions etc on it?

Pagan.

WoTN Member. Skinner.

I tried installing the mod and it didn't run, and in my fiddling I deleted the original descr_strat file and replaced it with yours!
    HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeZzErX View Post
    So remove the heraldry from the kite/round shields then? I could perhaps give the Kite and Round shields the colors from the heraldic designs but not put the lions etc on it?

Yes, maybe...

Actualy, I think round shield have no place after 1100 A.D.... That's why those shields hurts me

HREats, why don't you reinstall ?

Can you play this mod with the newest patch?

I am from Flanders myself and would very love to play this mod

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast