Thread: Have you ever been so bored...

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Have you ever been so bored...

Have you ever been so bored with just playing regular RTW that you actually find ways to make the game more interesting?

For instance I'm playing through a campaign in Roma Surrectum as the Greek City States. I was bored and decided to play the game in a whole new way - or at least look at the game and translate the gameplay into something totally different. This new way was to actually start recording a history of the Greeks during the campaign.

Mostly I'm writing a history of conflicts and wars at the moment but I started off by making and keeping up the Greek family tree. But I forgot that and am now centering on wars and military history.

The word document I'm writing for it is something like 10 pages long just giving pretty much overviews of wars and conflicts from 280 BC to 223 BC...I'm trying to make it as historical and professional sounding as possible but right now the 10 pages is just a quick overview and summary of major wars and conflicts.

At the moment I'm recording the ongoing war between Greece and Carthage with the Greeks allies of Gaul...I call it: The War for Gallic Restoration (working title). Basically Carthage invaded and moved up the Iberian peninsula and flooded into Gaul killing and conquering as they pleased. After I took the Italian peninsula from Epieros I formed an alliance with the Gauls and when Carthage began the hostilities I surged forward side by side with my Gaullic allies to push back the Carthaginians into Iberia...When all of central and western Gaul is taken back I have plans to release these provinces back to Gaul while persuing Carthage into Iberia and eventually into Africa...

So - this is how bored I am...has anyone else either a) done this? or b) has gotten so bored that they've done something like this to play the game in a whole new light?

*note*What I'm doing is not merely an AAR...this is year by year records of events/wars/confliicts that I try and make immensely historical sounding via adding fictional filler
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Have you ever been so bored...

LOL VOP2288, are you me in disguise? This is how I play RTW/RTR, BI & M2TW most of the time. It takes a long time Alt-tabbing to word etc but is great fun. I've never finished a full campaign though......don't have the discipline.

I find I get far more (emotionally) attached to my characters, and when they die after many years' service to my nation, well

As I get far more in-depth with my characters I tend to play less ruthlessly and more like a role-playing game, mirroring the character's traits with their actions.

Basically so yeah, I write my own historical-sounding AARs (no screenies) - just fantasy history. It is fun.

VOP2288 - why don't you post your (non)AAR when you have had enough of it / finished it? I would read it, but probably don't have the balls to post one of my own Hell, maybe one day......
    Last edited by boofhead; March 18, 2007 at 04:17 AM.

Civitate

lol well it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has actually spent a lot of time doing something like this. If you really want to read it I will post it sometime later...I actually wanna see if I can get through the ENTIRE campaign doing it. My first ever one was for M2TW as the English...I did the whole thing but I dont know where it got to on my PC...I also tried to do it with Iberia and Germania but I never finished them...hmmm I just realized I never actually tried it using Rome...maybe that'll be next.

Also if I'm going to post it I'll be doing it in bits and pieces...I dont think anyone wants to read a fake historical text 20+ pages long in one sitting so I'll post small portions in order...and if I'm going to post them then I might as well go back an rewrite them then...like I said: they sound more like summaries at the moment.

I always start one of these but I can never finish...my favorite was for the original Medieval where I had a princess run off and explore the east because of a row with her father, lol.

The game is just so much more interesting if you have a story behind it though, instead of little characters on the screen you have people...more or less...

nice idea im set for EB atm but it might be a nice idea for in the future
    Roma Surrectum Fanatics. Click HERE to Join Us!!!
    Death is light as a feather, Duty heavier then a mountain

Samuel_the_Great!'s Avatar Libertus

I wish i could do that.But i wish it was more built into the game.Its kinda dry the way it is right now
    Death solves all problems,no man no problem "Josheph Stalin":hmmm:

As soon as I finish the installation of Rise of Persia, I'll get one going and post updates

Civitate

Rise of Persia,
    Isnt that only the Beta 2 though?

Also I guess I will as well be posting pieces of my Greek campaign historical fiction sometime within the week...probably under a new thread as well

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Isnt that only the Beta 2 though?

Also I guess I will as well be posting pieces of my Greek campaign historical fiction sometime within the week...probably under a new thread as well
    Yeah but It'll still be fun, after reading heaps of books on that time I'll give it a go.

I suppose I could do it in nilla...anyway like I said it's an awesome idea and it sounds like you do a pretty cool job. I'll try to get mine to seem historical as well.
    Last edited by zznɟ ǝɥʇ; March 18, 2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: cursed spelling

oscarreeve's Avatar Getafix Loyal Companion

It would be good to give it a go on a fantasy mod

My Army ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^