Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MTW - still playable?

Default Re: MTW - still playable?

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    Is the first Medieval TW still playable? Unlike the question concerning Shogun, M2TW is a newer more impressive revamp of the original.
    M2TW is in fact a "newer more impressive revamp of" RTW. It is RTW in the Medieval era and not really the same thing as STW/MTW. MTW was STW with a Medieval theme and many added gameplay features.
    Last edited by caravel; May 09, 2007 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic View Post
    Sorry but I simply don't agree. Although M2TW is a good game, but it lacks the immersion and atmosphere that both Shogun and Medieval possess.
    I'll second that. Medieval 2 *is* fun enough; don't get me wrong. However, it simply doesn't grip me the way the first two TW games do. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: While Shogun and MTW's atmosphere really got me immersed into the experience, I feel like I'm just "playing a game" in Rome and Medieval 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel
    M2TW is in fact a "newer more impressive revamp of" RTW. It is RTW in the Medieval era and not really the same thing as STW/MTW. MTW was STW with a Medieval theme and many added gameplay features.
    Exactly. So many of the game mechanics are different between Shogun/MTW and Rome/M2TW that in many ways it's folly to compare Medieval 2 to its older namesake.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

I don't have mine modded at all and I play it once in a great while just for the viking invasion part. Well, that and when I want to see the ram get covered in boiling substances... and when I get annoyed 'cause I can't knock down a wall in M2TW because you can have archers knock down walls in M1

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

EmperorJulian's Avatar Civitate

Although I've had many hours of Enjoyment with RTW, I must say when it comes down to Campaign Map goodness, MTW really seems to be the best of the series that I've played (bear in mind I never played Shogun). Let me give you an example of what makes MTW the best campaign map simulation (In my mind anyway), these two words: Glorious Achievements. Man I loved those campaigns! I hesitate to say the AI in MTW is "better" than its successors but I always knew that in a Glorious Achievements Campaign the AI would play to win, rather than trying, incessantly to destroy me, and me alone.

That's what I Find to be one of the big weaknesses of RTW/M2TW ALL AI decisions seem to be based or augmented on the idea that the player faction MUST be destroyed. There is no retreat, no surrender, no action is taken that does not, in some way, involve destroying the Player Faction, quite simply the AI does NOT play to win. And this infuriates me. with M2TW ANY border with ANY faction is grounds for a war, even if that faction is hopelessly outmatched. I've written on these boards specifically about the inane stupidity of the AI in RTW sending wave after wave of men to their deaths to no effect and not once going in a more productive direction.

So, I say MTW is definitely playable and worthwhile even now. Oh how I pine for the days when I could use my favorite faction of Aragon and build a maritime Empire without having to ALWAYS worry about Spain or France attacking me simply because I'm the player faction and I must be defeated. Anyway that's just my two cents on the subject.

I wouldn't bother with it. It's inferior to RTW and Medieval 2 in just about every way. Well, technically that is. I suppose one could argue that the old-school campaign map has a certain charm to it.
    Last edited by Venom; May 17, 2007 at 04:39 PM.

Hellmut34's Avatar Miles

Up until a week and a half ago i was purring over how good mtw was against mtw2.

However since the release of the official 1.2 + the Stainless Steel v3.2 mod i can safely say that my mtw days are over.

I will still play the Samurai warlords + Ntw v7 mods but not the original.

Sad to say it but im hooked playing as the Templar Knights on SS 3.2
    Goodbye MTW1

A little maiming never hurt anybody

Ciro's Avatar Laetus

This thread has proven to be most fruitful to me, as I am considering buying MTW, since I has heard so much about it.

The reason I hesitate is because of the graphics (I really like good graphics), but it should be possible to change the models since it is so modable.

Has anyone done that yet?

Unfortunatelly here are no unit models in MTW1. Only sprites...
    You can change them us much as you want or create new ones, but they'll always remain 2D.

Ciro's Avatar Laetus

That's too bad, but I'll try it anyway. It doesn't cost that much now.

MTW and Viking Invasion were fantastic games. I found this forum because RTW was unplayable without mods--I never looked for mods for MTW once (did get them after looking for RTW mods). I was hoping M2TW would be better, but it was just as unplayable as RTW without mods. The graphics in RTW and M2TW are nice, but otherwise they are completely inferior.

Baseball is the highest cultural achievement of human civilization.

is mtw1 still playable?

pffft, considering that rtw was a huge step down from mtw1, and sucked ass badly...

mtw2 was a huge step up from rtw...

but mtw1 still remains vastly superior to mtw2.

The only thing mtw2 has over mtw1 is graphics.

Ashame they didn't bring back the 2D campaign map from mtw1 and use that in mtw2, mtw2 would've been so much freaking better.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123