Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting this Show on the Road

Default Re: Getting this Show on the Road

We also need to take down one of the sites (or disable any editing, put a big disclaimer on the main page), as right now we have two parallel wiki sites, and I don't know which one to use!
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

I've put a notice on the GC wiki. I'm also trying to move any edits people make on the other wiki across...

General Sun did say:
    I can easily forward the old url to a new one if the wiki moves (including partial url replacement).
    could I put in a big Please for that to happen... ... otherwise I'll have to try and remember where I spammed.. I mean posted links

Would also really help in-case anyone has bookmarked anything.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

I've enabled external image serving for now. I'll probably want to switch over to uploaded images at some point.

General_Sun should just need to add this to .htaccess: Redirect permanent /wiki/ http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Patrician

I've given up on a shared account database for wiki/forum, for now. I may implement it later, but it would require too much effort at this point. Also, cPanel isn't happy with adding Perikles' FTP account, so that seems to be off for now, but it wouldn't really have been helpful anyway, to be honest. I've got the URL rewriting done, so now it looks all pretty like Wikipedia.

Anything else? Do we want wiki.twcenter.net? The forums aren't at forums.twcenter.net. Besides, it can be slightly dicey to have rewrites directly to the root. There are some magic names in the root directory that some things look for, like favicon.ico, and so having pages at wiki.twcenter.net/Pagename means that anything looking for a favicon will look for wiki.twcenter.net/favicon.ico and get given the wiki page. (This wouldn't apply if we had wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?title=Pagename, but that's ugly.)

Risen from Prey

Frontpage ad... hmm... I think we can have a new thread for that...
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole
    Evariste says: I have huge, feminine breasts and I love them

I'd say leave it with www.twcenter.net/wiki and then the page name, looks like Wikipedia.

Ahh, just realised what Simetrical meant about giving up on shared account database - i.e. TWC log-ins don't automatically work, but you can create new / same account on Wiki.

Although it might be convenient to have it automatically accept TWC log-in details, I think I'd actually prefer to see option of creating new account left open anyway. If we end up trying to encourage anyone from other sites to contribute making them register via TWC first / use that log-in wouldn't help.

tonight I'm also getting some pages come up as
    http://www.twcenter.net/w/index.php?...edit&section=1
    etc. and quite a few white outs, is that just me having glitch?

Patrician

Risen from Prey

Not necessarily anything but I thought you said above that we weren't using
    index.php? I was getting it once I went to edit and the /w/index bit was staying on page name when I came out of editing it also at time tied up with me getting white outs so I wasn't sure..... ...the last was probably just me in a glitch though - so if its what its meant to do no problem

Patrician

The funky URLs are retained for editing, history, anything except simple page views. Same as on Wikipedia.

Risen from Prey

bump for General Sun, old forum links still seem to go to generals collective site, if it is feasible to give re-directs could that happen please?

Quote Originally Posted by Sim
    There are some magic names in the root directory that some things look for, like favicon.ico
    does that mean you can't have a different favicon.ico for the wiki? Sorry, dumb question again - I've not yet even managed to do one for my own website... If it were possible to have slightly different one it could be nice (and help tell what tab was what while you're editing cross referenced stuff).

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    does that mean you can't have a different favicon.ico for the wiki? Sorry, dumb question again - I've not yet even managed to do one for my own website... If it were possible to have slightly different one it could be nice (and help tell what tab was what while you're editing cross referenced stuff).
    Different favicon.ico would be simple. Just give it to me and I'll set it up. I was saying that names like http://wiki.twcenter.net/Main_Page would cause problems when people's browsers try loading http://wiki.twcenter.net/favicon.ico automatically . . . they'll get a page, not an image. Or else articles of that name will have to be banned.

Risen from Prey

You may or may not have noticed but this committee technically expired a while ago, under the terms of constitution it needs to pass a vote in the curia called by the speaker to make it legitimate again.

Before getting him to do that I was wondering what everyone thinks about continuing the committee in its present form anyway? It has been a little quiet in here. Would the Wiki benefit from being discussed somewhere open to more people? Should we try and convince staff to try and recruit more people for the committee?

Lastly how much of Wiki policy should actually be being set here and not on Wiki itself? It would be more Wiki-ish to have policy discussion and to-do sections on the Wiki but that would lose the element of increasing visibility acquired by discussing things on TWC.

Any thoughts?

From my experience as wiki editor hardly any of the day to day decisions that had to be made went through this committee. Mainly I discussed things on msn with various people, such as mak, and then did something. Personally, I believe that wiki discussion is best placed on the wiki, by the people who use it.

My feeling is, that anyone who has something to say at this point, will say it... I'm not sure what purpose this committee serves any more. But, I'd make the policy-discussion areas more obvious, in case people have suggestions or whatnot and aren't familiar with wikis... for example, I had no idea there was policy disccussion on the wiki.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

That area is relatively recent, set up is bit experimental at the moment, its linked to from page "about TWC Wiki" in the bottom tool bar - but it could probably do with more obvious link...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12