Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions, Comments & Suggestions

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Icon5 Questions, Comments & Suggestions

Please post here any comments and/or suggestions.

Check out the new rules thread.
    Last edited by Каие; November 05, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Default Re: Comments, questions and suggestions on the FC.

Mein Gott! I didn't know this existed. This is just the place for some of our more unruly members. Anyone comeing into the FC would have to expect to be offended.

Good idea, Garb!

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

I think you touched upon it in the rules you laid down, but I think there definately needs to be a set limit on the amount of linked data presented as part of a debate. I know that sources of evidence are important to prove ones case, but the observer does'nt really want to have to trawl through page after page of technical details or verse after verse of the bible or koran, which does occur on some of our more hotly contested threads. If limits are not observed it will turn from a debate that we can all keep up with and vote upon into a full time research project.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshireman View Post
    I think you touched upon it in the rules you laid down, but I think there definately needs to be a set limit on the amount of linked data presented as part of a debate. I know that sources of evidence are important to prove ones case, but the observer does'nt really want to have to trawl through page after page of technical details or verse after verse of the bible or koran, which does occur on some of our more hotly contested threads. If limits are not observed it will turn from a debate that we can all keep up with and vote upon into a full time research project.
    You are right. I will add this to the rules:

"The text quoted in any post cannot exceed a total of 15 lines. However there is no limitation on the number of supporting links, which will be checked for veracity by the host."

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

The gloves are off!
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I will gladly participate, time permitting. I have no challenges to issue, but I am ready to be challenged of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon View Post
    I will gladly participate, time permitting. I have no challenges to issue, but I am ready to be challenged of course.
    I will inform...ehem...all of them, Ummon...

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

A suggestion on the amount of data in a post. Why not just have a poster break their post into sections, and put each one in spoiler tags with a header above it so other people can read through the post a bit at a time?
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    A suggestion on the amount of data in a post. Why not just have a poster break their post into sections, and put each one in spoiler tags with a header above it so other people can read through the post a bit at a time?
    Excellent idea!

Will this be a one post fight? So, I post, you post, we vote? Is there a "rebuttal" -esque idea here?

Quote Originally Posted by Shyam Popat View Post
    Will this be a one post fight? So, I post, you post, we vote? Is there a "rebuttal" -esque idea here?
    Good questions, to add to that...

Seems to me like the person doing the challenging will always have one up on the person being challenged, because they can just choose the topic they are most knowledgable in, right?

And is there anything stopping this from becoming long winded essays? I ask because Ive seen some long ass posts on TWC and I dont always think long = better.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

I think in this case, its better to have long essays; they allow for more detail, greater depth of thought and greater clarity of ideas, than is usually possible in the hack and slash of general debates. Personal preference, purely.

And the following rule implies multiple-post debates:
    The argument will last for a predefined number of days that cannot be more than 7 in total and will be arranged between the opponents. The two opponents will post an opening statement. The series of statements depends on the toss of a coin here in my house in front of my screen. This is as impartial as it gets. The text quoted in any post cannot exceed a total of 15 lines. More than 15 lines (if you really feel like it) should be in "spoiler" tags. However there is no limitation on the number of supporting links, which will be checked for veracity by the host.

It seems the fights have a hard time beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon View Post
    It seems the fights have a hard time beginning...
    I find it's wise to consider your blows carefully, especially the first punch. The first punch has been landed - but thanks for your concern.

There's a very interesting reply by Kloss. It's possibly a little weak, especially because of little medical non-sequitur which is though difficult to notice for the layman. I suspect the discussion will be entertaining, though Kloss has an uphill confrontation to face, because:

1) people do not like holocaust deniers (I find it difficult to consider his points worthwhile myself, a priori).
    2) he has tried to demolish the witness, a weak approach reasoning-wise. It is proven that judges (especially non-experts) tend to make up their mind based on primacy, sympathies, etc.

A chat thread would be nice, as promised by the rules post. I reckon Kloss has violated the rules on quote length as well.
    Last edited by Ummon; March 18, 2007 at 04:28 AM.

So did you in your last post agaisnt me Ummon, but I do not view these rules as fully binding, more as quidelines, as such quotes are useful (your longest quote was very useful for singling out the important section of an article)

Also I'd like a comments thread for debates (not one per debate, that would be too many) for outsiders to comment on past post, root for winners ect

Does someone judge it? How do you know who wins?

TheKwas's Avatar Civitate

I think that the biggest problem with getting the fights started is that although there are many willing debators, it is hard to agree on what issue to debate. My suggestion would be to include a 'blind debate pool' option where would-be debators sign up, are paired off, and then are forced to debate each other over a question provided to them by Garbarsardar (or someone replacing/helping Garbarsardar). As well, each debator should be assigned a position to take in the debate so that the debators can't just agree.

If such a pool is created (alongside the challenge thread I presume), allow me to be the first one to sign up.
    1) The creation of the world is the most marvelous achievement imaginable.
    2) The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
    3) The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
    4) The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
    5) Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being — namely, one who created everything while not existing.
    6) Therefore, God does not exist.

Garbarsardar's love child, and the only child he loves. ^-^

Civitate

Default Re: Questions, Comments & Suggestions

I just want to bump this thread up, If anyone has any questions whatsoever post them here, and not in the Challenge thread. Also feel free to suggest improvements and to make any other comments about how this area is being run.

Default Re: Questions, Comments & Suggestions

This is a suggestion for the official fight club picture

If this is a fail, delete it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast