Thread: catapharacts overpowering?

Commander_Vimes's Avatar Campidoctor

Default catapharacts overpowering?

I think that catapharcats should be toned down a bit since they seem practically invincible i have defeated whole armies with only one unit of them and when i was doing a test of parthia vs egypt i won even though it was 300 vs 3000 is there a mod which tones them down

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: catapharacts overpowering?

I doont think they are too overpowered....a Armenia my cataphracs take quite a few casualties from just archers or in hand to hand with swordsmen. Their charge is their most devestating attack of course, which is probably why they seem overpowered...if you always charge them that is.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Hader has got it right. I have similar experiences with Cataphractarii, they rarely rout unless the unit number is low, but they can still be killed pretty easily by certain spearmen and pikemen units such as Phalanxes and Hoplites, upper end Roman and Carthaginian spearmen can still defeat Cataphractarii as well (Triarii and Poeni Infantry).

Icon2 Re: catapharacts overpowering?

Hader is right. Cataphract's charge is the most damage they can do to devastate an enemy army which causes them to rout faster than most other shock cavalry.
    I came, I saw, I owned.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Hate when AI have them, really devastating.
    Like in EB when faced Hellenic Katapracktoi or what they're called

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes View Post
    I think that catapharcats should be toned down a bit since they seem practically invincible i have defeated whole armies with only one unit of them and when i was doing a test of parthia vs egypt i won even though it was 300 vs 3000 is there a mod which tones them down
    What settings and what were they fighting? Against peasants they ought to do about that well, since they're about ten times more expensive.
    Under the patronage of Simetrical. I am but a pawn in his evil schemes.

Primicerius

You could just change their stats around if you find them overpowering.

not overpowering. i'm in a campiagn as the Julii right now and have just started attacking parthia and i thnk the secret 2 stopping the charge is running across their path with light cavalry . The cavalry will die but who cares? by that time hit them in the back with either a roman general or some spearmen. if you destroy the cataphracts from charging then the don't suck but are destroyed

Cathaphracts arent overpowered
    the spartans and all the romans are overpowered

Busy!!!

To elaborate, cataphracts are merely very heavy cavalry. If you prick them, they bleed. They are a little difficult to prick, of course, being all head to toe in scale armor like that, but it's doable.

Like anything else, cataphracts hate charging into the pointy end of a phalanx. They also hate the heat or anything else that makes them move around a lot. Cataphracts hate horse archers because they make them move too much. Cataphracts hate getting counter-charged by large numbers of desert cavalry and head hunters, especially because these nimble types can make a rear approach much of the time.

Cataphracts, like all cavalry, also hate walls. Cataphracts hate flaming projectiles. Cataphracts don't like scythed chariots too much either. Cataphracts hate elephants and camels, especially cataphract camels.

Does that give you enough to work with? There are definately units that can trounce cataphracts on a cost-competative basis.
    Under the patronage of Simetrical. I am but a pawn in his evil schemes.

I haven't had too many problems with cataphracts.
    Elephants, now there's something I don't like too much.
    Spartans are pretty strong but get behind them or on their flank with a fairly good unit and they die just as easily as other phalanxes.

Hold them in place with any unit you don't care about, then charge them in the flank with a general or some other heavy calvary.