Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Asterix's Campagnian Villa: A meeting place for TWCs old timers

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Default Asterix's Campagnian Villa: A meeting place for TWCs old timers

Welcome all TWC old farts and young snots - here is a place for sentiment to discuss anything you would like in the secrecy of my remote villa and with plenty of wine to smooth the tongue.

I am welcoming all to see if we can get a constructive discussion going here from the various generations of TWC members on what was great and what was not.

Elongate yourselves on my comfortable couches and reach for the memories and nostaliga friends....

While you are at it pull a drink from my Wine cellar and scotchbarrel...
    Last edited by Obi Wan Asterix; February 28, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Default Re: Asterix's Campagnian Villa: A meeting place for TWCs old timers

I loved the easy-going atmosphere of the good old times and the personal nature of everything. When a forum grows as big as twc, it is bound to become more impersonal.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Quote Originally Posted by wilpuri View Post
    I loved the easy-going atmosphere of the good old times and the personal nature of everything. When a forum grows as big as twc, it is bound to become more impersonal.
    Hmmm I agree with you as to the outcome but not necessarily the cause my dear Wilipuri

*pours a wine and lemony water for his old Germanic friend and former statesman*

I think the civitates system was created to ensure intimacy within a crowd... the forum is not much bigger than it has been in the past at some stages....

I would point my finger at the infighting and political strife we have had... I also think we have overregulated the Curia... for instance, I agree in principle and voted in favour of no comments during voting, but those threads were great fun when you could joke or comment on the legistlation being voted on and even try to sway others.....
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan Asterix View Post
    Hmmm I agree with you as to the outcome but not necessarily the cause my dear Wilipuri

*pours a wine and lemony water for his old Germanic friend and former statesman*

I think the civitates system was created to ensure intimacy within a crowd... the forum is not much bigger than it has been in the past at some stages....

I would point my finger at the infighting and political strife we have had... I also think we have overregulated the Curia... for instance, I agree in principle and voted in favour of no comments during voting, but those threads were great fun when you could joke or comment on the legistlation being voted on and even try to sway others.....
    *empties the glass and reaches for the bottle*

Well, perhaps the cause is within me, but I used to know more or less every active poster. Nowadays I still can't differentiate between members who've been here for ages and post actively. They're all 'newbs' to me, I'm bad with names I guess.

As for over-regulation and stifling bureaucracy, I cannot but agree, dear friend.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

a lot of the over-regulation though was a side effect of trying to save the Curia from the worst excesses of the ON Network Admins. It worked, the Curia survived, but it did it a lot of damage that will take a while to recover.

The plus side of it though was that it did unite the Curia against a common foe, its been ages since I've seen one of those daft 'the current civitates are useless' threads that were so prevalent about a year ago.

(ignores the wine and reaches for the 100 year-old malt)
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Quote Originally Posted by wilpuri View Post
    *empties the glass and reaches for the bottle*

Well, perhaps the cause is within me, but I used to know more or less every active poster. Nowadays I still can't differentiate between members who've been here for ages and post actively. They're all 'newbs' to me, I'm bad with names I guess.

As for over-regulation and stifling bureaucracy, I cannot but agree, dear friend.
    Ahhh my Germanic friend likes his wine straight

****Brings another bottle of 2004 TWC vintage out of the cellar****

In a way the same has happened in the realm of TWC as happened in post-communist Central and Eastern Europe....

We have dropped the shakles which had become too tight, and dumped Ogre and his minions into the anals of history...

But what we have not done is revived old opportunities which were not possible prior and profited from one of our own's newlyfound imperial rite to reinvigorate the place....

I think it would be great to recall some of the active members of the past and reconstitute TWC for what it is now truly worth....

I think if all of us try a bit of posting around we could well strike gold and rekindle old flames...

Take Garb for instance... I dragged him back to the site and he has been a great source of entertainment for me.... he was absent for almost a year when I used multiple forms of media to seek him out last year...

His contributions merit his reputation

Bringing Garb and his fervour back to the site has been one of my favourite achievements...

Wilipuri maybe you and I should try and get some of the oldies back to the site?

I think hunting down people like Crandar and inviting them to post should be fun

a lot of the over-regulation though was a side effect of trying to save the Curia from the worst excesses of the ON Network Admins. It worked, the Curia survived, but it did it a lot of damage that will take a while to recover.

The plus side of it though was that it did unite the Curia against a common foe, its been ages since I've seen one of those daft 'the current civitates are useless' threads that were so prevalent about a year ago.

(ignores the wine and reaches for the 100 year-old malt)
    Welcome Tac!

*Reaches for the Hagis Salad Tac brought*

Glad you share my malt fancies still

There I really agree with you and have been racking my brain on how to help the Curia regain its fun...

I think the newer generation dont anymore know what it was before.... they need a bit of introduction and I am glad you two are around to help
    Last edited by Obi Wan Asterix; February 28, 2007 at 09:31 AM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

I wonder if i qualify as an old timer, i only came to the Curia in December 05, after the erly days of TWC.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    I wonder if i qualify as an old timer, i only came to the Curia in December 05, after the erly days of TWC.
    Knowing his preference *hands Lusty a bear that Wilipuri brought leaving aside the sausage Tac dragged in*

Off course you do Lusted

You lived through a good bit of the bog... and there a people in office today who were born when the hair on your feet was gray

Knowing his preference *hands Lusty a bear that Wilipuri brought leaving aside the sausage Tac dragged in*
    *Lusted pulls out a bottle of Harveys from his portable fridge, then pours himself a pint*

Off course you do Lusted

You lived through a good bit of the bog... and there a people in office today who were born when the hair on your feet was gray
    It's wierd knowing i now class as an old-timer. I suppose i have seen both the Curial reforms of last year, ON's interference, the April Fools joke(so much fun), and other things.

Now we are free from On, we really need to explore what the Curia can do, and we need to build up more of that community spirit again. I miss topics like the Cookbook, and others like it.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

if the delightful lusted has grey hair, i shudder to think where that leaves me...

one wonders if Asterix remembers my preferences when it comes to beverages!

i can't help but feel that the community spirit is being divided by all the attention lavished on the modders. modders with their special colours, and special banners, etc as if they were some kind of elite and ultra special member, which they're not. I recall the days when a citizen was recognised for his contribution to the community alone.

if the delightful lusted has grey hair, i shudder to think where that leaves me...
    Who says you have hair anymore?
    i can't help but feel that the community spirit is being divided by all the attention lavished on the citizen. citizen with their special colours, and special banners, etc as if they were some kind of elite and ultra special member, which they're not. I recall the days when a modder was recognised for his contribution to the community alone.
    Edited it for you, to show another attitude that people might have. If citizens are recognised with special colours and badges, why not modders? And having adifferent badge for them helps people know who the modders are, and allows modders to show what they got the rank for. Now that my Citizen amendment has passed, civs and artifex are the same rank, and should be the same colour. The only difference should be the badge.
    Last edited by Lusted; February 28, 2007 at 09:55 AM.
    Creator of:

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

I think the concentration on modders is just a current reflection of the (maybe perceived) inbalance in the past - certainly in the Curia.

It'll die off and the pendulum will swing back again, though hopefully more towards the centre than to one extreme or the other.

*looks accusingly at Asterix - you want to bring weird sausage don;t blame it on me*
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalwithsausage
    I think the concentration on modders is just a current reflection of the (maybe perceived) inbalance in the past - certainly in the Curia.

It'll die off and the pendulum will swing back again, though hopefully more towards the centre than to one extreme or the other.

*looks accusingly at Asterix - you want to bring weird sausage don;t blame it on me*
    Well well, we have a problem on our hands: namely - the mods are no longer as promising as they used to be... for this reason I supported the EUIII bit, I think we should attract some EUIII modders to the site as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the baldeagle prince

one wonders if Asterix remembers my preferences when it comes to beverages!

i can't help but feel that the community spirit is being divided by all the attention lavished on the modders. modders with their special colours, and special banners, etc as if they were some kind of elite and ultra special member, which they're not. I recall the days when a citizen was recognised for his contribution to the community alone.
    *scratched his sabled silver head with fleeting memory within and hands the good prince a cup of rose water*

I once thought that we should guilotine all modders who scoff the community, but I realize now that the modders draw the masses in and out of those plebs shine a few diamonds

*splutters* rose water???? thats for washing in not drinking!!!

bring me the liquors! the southern comfort, delightfully poured over a mere 2 cubes of ice and mixed with no more than 3 dashes of the sublime liquid gold that is coca cola!

lusted, my point is, modders are/can become citizens. why should they have any special recognition over and above that of any other citizen? modders got their rank for contributions to the community, exactly the same as everyone else.

lusted, my point is, modders are/can become citizens. why should they have any special recognition over and above that of any other citizen? modders got their rank for contributions to the community, exactly the same as everyone else.
    Because whether you like it or not, modders are perhaps the biggest draw to this site. And we like getting recognition for our work. Citizen has traditionally been a CC rank, having a seperate badge for civs/artifex just shows what people got promoted for. When i was promoted i thought of civ as a CC rank, with a few modders, now i would like to see citizen seen as the rank for the whole site, with just different badges if people want them.

*finishes his pint and pours another whilst reclining in one of the marvelous armchairs located throughout the room*
    Last edited by Lusted; February 28, 2007 at 10:18 AM.
    Creator of:

Nihil's Avatar Annihilationist

Make mine a bourbon. Happily, I am already drunk on arrival, having fortified myself from my trusty hipflask en route.

As regards the impersonal bigness to which the venerable Wil alluded - it's a problem, to be sure. I mean, you can go for weeks without coming across some of your mates, even though they are on at the same times as you are. You just don't happen to be in the same threads, or even the same subforums.

We have dropped the shakles which had become too tight, and dumped Ogre and his minions into the anals of history...
    The anals, eh? A fitting fate indeed...

I have great hopes for the future, now that self-sufficiency has been attained, and the foul occupation forces of the ogre have been driven off to the, ahem, anals.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Acting Paterfamilias of House Rububula
    Former Patron of the retired Atheist Peace
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina

Im not old, Im too young and wild to join an old farts club! But im not a snot. hehe
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Do I qualify?

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

So what about us middle aged middle class folks, no no not a drop for me I have to the kids to football practice then take the misses shopping types. We arrived here oh jesus just checked my account it will be two years in september.

Please sirs can we come in?

(what you don't realise is I skipped training so am in reality drinking a rather large rather fine glass of v and c)

Peter

@Imb: normally the answer to the emperor would be yes, but since romans often sought refuge in their villa to escape the burden of political strife (Cicero, Seneca etc...) I am not so sure (Just kidding)

As to the opening of this noble house, thanks Asterix. Though I am still feeling that I shall go out into the open field again some day, when I regain more time, to be productive for the community once again.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast