Default Re: PORTUGUESE Character Names

Quote Originally Posted by finneys13 View Post
    What's the conclusion here then?
    Good question...

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Well,riquinhO wrote: (and well)
    Taken from what I already said, my proposal (if you want to have a more "polished" version fast) is that you give us a new list (3.01?) including the names on the late version and some new names "on the bench" and leave that for appreciation for some time (1 or 2 weeks?)
    Waiting for Manji...

Finney,

After your
    Quote Originally Posted by finneys13 View Post
    Will PM Manji about the rest.
    reinforced by Manji's 1st intervention, I was under the impression Manji is or was the "Project Leader" for the Portuguese Names part of the project. I think at least Ludicus was under that same impresiion.

Corrected me if I'm wrong and/or tell us what you want delivered. Because since my first intervention here I already presented suggestions for corrections, suggestions for additions and proposal for a squeme in order to have a more refined new version.

All I saw in return were comments about some of the names.

I'm not criticizing anybody but I think you'll understand me for saying that my will to return here everyday waiting for Manji's response is getting weaker and weaker and that I will stop coming very very soon.

I just don't see enough movement, at least on the relevant parts. And being just a newcomer it's not my place to say more than I already did.

Any and all changes are fine by me, if, an only if, a majority agrees, even if that majority is composed of two persons.
    I don't have the time to devote myself to this right now but other portuguese speakers are abundant in these forums so I trust you all to reach a reasonable consensus. Just a word in advance: do employ your common sense as well as historical data: just because you want a certain name to be featured that doesn't mean it really was common or even used back then.
    Check some of my earlier posts for historical references and data.
    浪人 - 二天一

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

Look, it is up to you guys if you want the list chanced, if you can make it more accurate, great stuff.

I disagree with the idea of putting recent name in the portuguese name list of this project if they are not minimably historically correct. Minimably in the sence that a certain name may have first appeared in the 15th century but it' s still acceptable, not one that appeared only a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    I disagree with the idea of putting recent name in the portuguese name list of this project if they are not minimably historically correct. Minimably in the sence that a certain name may have first appeared in the 15th century but it' s still acceptable, not one that appeared only a few years ago.
    Exactly my view.

Fine. As Manji is too busy and finneys13 already told us we can do what we want, I took the liberty of making a new list based on the following criteria:

1 - Names should be (or at least seem) of medieval origin, they should be also fairly common. The main principle should be: if a portuguese natural plays the game all the Portuguese names should not "shock". They should apear as a perfectly natural name one of our ancestors could have.

2 - Spelling should be the current one. "Gonçallus" or "Fernadiç" would seem almost like chinese to a modern portuguese person.

3 - We should avoid ridiculous repetitions that would not "normally" happen. For example "Miguel Miguel" or "José Lemos de Lemos". No "normal" father would name his son or daughter like that. I made the new list with no such repetitions.

4 - There are names like Pêro, Mendo or Bento that hardly can be seen nowadays. However those names are easily recognizable by anyone as "old names" and they should stay. As long as they are EASILY recognizable.

I suggest we progress fast because, if you think about it, this is not difficult. On the contrary: with team work it is very easy. I'll post now a new list based on Manji's work but with some changes made by me according with the above criteriae. To work on top of it I only suggest this:

Any name you have doubts about it you say it. And you propose another one (or better yet: two) for substitution. I'm perfectly sure in two weeks we'll achieve a list any portuguese will see as his own. And any foreign as "real" portuguese names.

Of course all of this is a suggestion and subject to the forumers opinion. But I'll ask you to please express now any thing you have against this main principles. If you don't have anything against it then I suggest we move on and then move by this suggested principles.

Note: It was with some hope that I saw in the "cimeira" UE/Brazil (a moment that will hardly repeat in history), our prime-minister defend Portuguese should be more valued in the world as it is spoken by more than 250 million people. What do you say: let's do our small contribution?

Here's my starting proposal:

;;;List created by riquinh0 based on MANJI's list 3.0
    faction: portugal

characters - 74
    Afonso
    Agostinho
    Alberto
    Alexandre
    Alfredo
    Álvaro
    André
    Antero
    António
    Arnaldo
    Artur
    Baltazar
    Bartolomeu
    Bento
    Bernardo
    Carlos
    Cláudio
    Cristovão
    Damião
    Dinis
    Diogo
    Duarte
    Egas
    Estevão
    Fernão
    Fernando
    Filipe
    Francisco
    Frederico
    Gabriel
    Gaspar
    Geraldo
    Gonçalo
    Gil
    Guilherme
    Gustavo
    Henrique
    Hugo
    Humberto
    João
    Joaquim
    Jaime
    Jorge
    José
    Leonardo
    Leopoldo
    Lucas
    Luís
    Lopo
    Lourenço
    Manuel
    Martim
    Martinho
    Mendo
    Miguel
    Nicolau
    Nuno
    Paulo
    Pedro
    Pêro
    Ramiro
    Ricardo
    Rodrigo
    Rogério
    Rui
    Sancho
    Sebastião
    Tomé
    Tomás
    Tristão
    Vasco
    Vicente
    Vitor
    Xavier

surnames - 115
    Abrantes
    Aboim
    Albuquerque
    Alcoforado
    Aleixo
    Almeida
    Álvares
    Amaral
    André
    Antão
    Antunes
    Bandeira
    Baptista
    Barroso
    Bastos
    Borges
    Brás
    Brito
    Cabral
    Calheiros
    Campos
    Carvalho
    Castelo
    Castelo-Branco
    Cavaleiro
    Coelho
    Correia
    Coutinho
    Cruz
    Delgado
    Dias
    Durão
    Eanes
    Faria
    Ferreira
    Fernandes
    Figueiredo
    Fonseca
    Freire
    Freitas
    Furtado
    Gama
    Garcia
    Geraldes
    Gomes
    Gonçalves
    Henriques
    Leal
    Lobo
    Lopes
    Martins
    Mata
    Mateus
    Meira
    Mendes
    Mendonça
    Moniz
    Monteiro
    Nascimento
    Navarro
    Neto
    Nobre
    Nogueira
    Nunes
    Oliveira
    Osório
    Pacheco
    Pais
    Pascoal
    Pedroso
    Pereira
    Peres
    Pires
    Portela
    Preto
    Quaresma
    Queirós
    Ramalho
    Ramires
    Raposo
    Rego
    Reis
    Resende
    Ribeiro
    Rodrigues
    Romão
    Salvador
    Sampaio
    Santos
    Saraiva
    Sarmento
    Sanches
    Santiago
    Seabra
    Serra
    Silveira
    Simões
    Soares
    Sobral
    Sobreda
    Tavares
    Taveira
    Teixeira
    Teles
    Valente
    Vasconcelos
    Vaz
    Veloso
    Viana
    Viegas
    Vieira
    Vilaça
    Vilarinho
    Vilhena
    Zarco

;;bynames - 47
    da Anunciação
    da Anunciada
    da Conceição
    da Costa
    da Cunha
    da Guarda
    da Horta
    da Maia
    da Mota
    da Ponte
    da Silva
    de Alter
    de Andrade
    de Araújo
    de Ataíde
    de Azevedo
    de Barros
    de Beja
    de Bragança
    de Bulhão
    de Cana
    de Castelo de Vide
    de Castro
    de Chaves
    de Cortegaça
    de Évora
    de Góis
    de Lemos
    de Lima
    de Matos
    de Mello
    de Mendonça
    de Menezes
    de Noronha
    de Novais
    de Paiva
    de Portugal
    de Sá
    de Sousa
    de Ulhoa
    de Valadares
    de Vila-Viçosa
    do Carmo
    do Crato
    do Vale
    do Vinhal
    dos Anjos

women - 39
    Aldonça
    Antónia
    Ana
    Brígida
    Branca
    Brites
    Beatriz
    Cristina
    Carolina
    Catarina
    Constança
    Clara
    Dulce
    Eulália
    Eva
    Filipa
    Filomena
    Francisca
    Glória
    Inês
    Isabel
    Joana
    Leonor
    Leopoldina
    Lúcia
    Luísa
    Madalena
    Manuela
    Margarida
    Maria
    Marta
    Matilde
    Raquel
    Sancha
    Teresa
    Urraca
    Úrsula
    Victória
    Violante

Total - 275
    Last edited by riquinh0; July 06, 2007 at 11:55 PM.

There is no Angelina in the list!!!

Now, a bit more serious, I didn’t make any research about these issue, nor I am particularly interested in doing it, but sometimes I deal with Medieval or early Modern transcriptions of documents, so I would like to give my opinion.

About the list: I saw it quite quickly. I didn’t like the name “Baltazar”. It sounds to much “Jewish” (disclaimer: I don’t have anything agaist Jewish people). I believe that in this thread someone had already discussed the Jewish names. I also believe that a surname like Quaresma can have the same origin. Even Mateus…
    The idea that I have is that new Christians search their new names in the New Testament and in the names of new Towns. But I can be wrong here.

Names
    Bermudo
    Raimundo *

Surnames
    Bermudes
    Raimundes **
    Vasques (Vasco is already in the name list)

Bynames
    de Riba Douro
    da Várzea

Theres are just a couple of ideas.
    Of course that would be interesting to take a look in some books, like the “Livro das Linhagens do Conde D. Pedro”, or “Livro das Linhagens do Deão”, or “Livro Velho de Linhagens”… or something like that…

*/** I know that these will remind you two characters, but, if I remember well, they were used in Portugal.
    Um dia destes vou mudar a minha assinatura.

Citizen

Of course that would be interesting to take a look in some books, like the “Livro das Linhagens do Conde D. Pedro”, or “Livro das Linhagens do Deão”, or “Livro Velho de Linhagens”… or something like that…
    If you are interested,here is a link to the "Livro de Linhagens" from the largest database about portuguese literature:
    http://alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt/vercial/linhagem.htm

Tulius:

Exactly the kind of contributions we need!

I did not included Angelina as it seemed a bit too modern. I can be wrong.

Bermudo and Bermudes don't sound like "fairly common".

Removals - Baltazar, Mateus, Quaresma and Raquel (too "jewish" - same disclaimer)

Additions - Raimundo, Raimundes, Vasques, da Várzea and de Riba Douro.

Cheers,

Riuqinh0,
    Hheheheh, I can’t make a joke with you! I was joking about Angelina… it reminds always an Hollywood star…

Bermudo and Bermudes are early medieval names from Galicia/Asturias/Portugal (i really don«'t know), it seems that they disappeared from documents in the XII or XIII century.

Ludicus,
    Always some good links!
    I don't visit Vercial for ages... I completely forgot it... I must return there...

Quote Originally Posted by Tulius Hostilius View Post
    Riuqinh0,
    Hheheheh, I can’t make a joke with you! I was joking about Angelina… it reminds always an Hollywood star…
    I understood that, I only forgot to laugh, lol. Anyway I justified why I took Angelina off (much to my displeasure ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulius Hostilius View Post
    Bermudo and Bermudes are early medieval names from Galicia/Asturias/Portugal (i really don«'t know), it seems that they disappeared from documents in the XII or XIII century.
    Well, even if they were common then (and we don't know that), I have serious doubts anyone would find those as EASILY RECOGNIZABLE.

In the meantime I made some more few changes:

Removals - André (repetition)
    Changes - Gama to da Gama (Post #2 by Boicote - because we have too much surnames)
    Additions - Codax, Távora, Elvira, Helena, Mafalda (Post #2 by Boicote, didn't find the reason why Manji didn't add these - Mafalda was an "Infanta" of Portugal).

We now have 74 characters, 115 surnames, 52 bynames and 41 women totaling 282. I would like to reach the nice round number of 300, for that we need more male first names (objective ~100) and female first names (objective ~50). I think we have enough surnames and bynames by now.

I know for a fact that some early Asturian kings were called Bermudo, if that helps.

Yes. There were 3 king with that name. It is also found in another form, with a “v”: Vermudo.
    But there are also in Galicia and in Portugal, which had the same language in the early middle ages. For instance in the Trava family, the origin of the Trastamaras.

In another post I only talked until the XIII century, but, I remember now a historical personage. D. João Bermudes, a Portuguese of the XVI century, was the patriarch of the Ethiopian church. He wrote an interesting book: “Breve Relação de embaxada que o Pariarcha dõ João Bermudez trouxe do Emperador de Ethiopia, vulgarmente chamado Preste João”.

I am not saying that it must be there, I am just saying that it seems to me that these names where much more common between the XII and XVI centuries that today. I mean, I was never introduced to someone called Bermudo.

Sounds like a perfect name to include, with a B or V.

If you guys really insist I can include Bermudes. Even if it is not recognisable by Portuguese players, it doesn't sound too bad. Bermudo however sounds very weird to me and really not recognisable.

I would like to remind you guys 3 things:

- We don't really need more surnames.
    - Manji set a frontier earlier in this thread at the Renaissance, I suspect the main reason for that was to exclude some names of Asturian or Galician provenience. If this names are early medieval than they have a lot less arguments to be included than Fuas for example. Fuas (remember D. Fuas Roupinho?) is much more recognisable than Bermudo but Manji discarded that name with the argument of being too early medieval. Makes sense to me. (Now that I think about it maybe Codax is a too earlier surname too).
    - I really would like that we don't stop too much time with one name and we be practical: there are dozens of more names. I realize you guys like to spend time discussing names, origins of the names and so on but, as my profissional experience is in the Logistics area, I confess it is not my style, sorry.

As a reference here is a list of portuguese prenoms (to my surprise Bermudo is there!) and in the top of that page is a much bigger list of the portuguese prenoms officaly admited by the Portuguese Republic. Maybe you guys could find inspiration in one or the other. We have not dozens but hundreds of more possibilities....
    Last edited by riquinh0; July 07, 2007 at 07:13 PM.

I think it also boils down to our own opinion.
    For example, "Guilherme" only appears as a common name late in the 18th century, from "William" and "Wilhem"; this doesn't mean that there wasn't a single "Guilherme" back in the 1400's simply that it was such an outlandish name that no mention of it is to be found in official records.

By the way, some of my sources were:

* A complete account of the Portuguese language, 1701; with, Grammatica Anglo-Lusitanica [by] A. J. (Menston, Scholar Press, 1970.)
    * Livro do lançamento e serviço que a Cidade de Lisboa fez a Rei Nosso Senhor no ano de 1565; documentos para a historia da Cidade de Lisboa. (Lisboa: Câmara Municipal, 1947-48)
    * Registo Onomástico Português - Da Fundação á Época das Descobertas (Lisboa: Câmara Municipal. 1962)

and the invaluable:

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/julia...uese/data.html
    浪人 - 二天一

Citizen

Tulius wrote:
    The idea that I have is that new Christians search their new names in the New Testament and in the names of new Towns. But I can be wrong here.
    Above all,patronymics,my good friend
    Read it all here:
    http://pwp.netcabo.pt/soveral/mas/ju...staosnovos.htm

Excerpt:

.....O mais interessante documento que conheço sobre os nomes adoptados pelos judeus baptizados é uma genealogia [2]dos cristãos-novos de Barcelos, escrita nos finais do século XVI, onde se inventariam todos os cristãos-novos desta cidade, começando cada família com o judeu baptizado, dando o seu nome original e o nome que então adoptou. E aqui verifica-se o que julgo ter sido a regra geral: os judeus da conversão obrigatória adoptaram sobretudo patronímicos.
    De resto, o mesmo acontece com os cristãos-novos que consegui documentar como tal até à Inquisição (1536), amostra onde de facto predominam os patronímicos, assim como certos nomes claramente recuperados dos anteriores nome judeus. A saber: Manuel Alves, Diogo Fernandes, Luiz Álvares, Rui Lopes, António Rebelo, Sebastião Garro, Manuel Lopes, Pedro Homem, Diogo Mendes, Cristóvão de Brito, Fernando Rodrigues, Gabriel Dias, Francisco Lopes, Luiz Lopes, Diogo Nunes, Diogo Mendes, Leonor da Paz, Gaspar Lopes, Miguel Gomes, João Fernandes, Fernando Álvares, Henrique Dias, Cosme Dias, António Gomes, Diogo Fernandes Safim, Luiz Álvares Vitória, Luiz Vaz de Negro, Diogo da Pena, Diogo Vaz, Álvaro de Medina, Simão Fragoso, João Rodrigues, Francisco de Burgos, Francisco Mendes, Gabriel Rodrigues, António Dias e Fernando Lopes.
    Portanto, se a maioria usou patronímicos e alguns mantiveram os nomes judeus menos evidentes, outros adoptaram os nomes de famílias pré-existentes, nomeadamente dos respectivos padrinhos, o que, nalguns casos, se documenta....

Removals - Guilherme and Codax

Citizen

From Tulius:
    I didn’t like the name “Baltazar”. It sounds to much “Jewish” (disclaimer: I don’t have anything agaist Jewish people). I believe that in this thread someone had already discussed the Jewish names. I also believe that a surname like Quaresma can have the same origin. Even Mateus…

By the way,if i still remember it well,D.Fuas Roupinho mother was jewish and he was Afonso Henriques half-brother.

Just a question,why are we carefully avoiding portuguese jewish names?they should be in the game as diplomats and merchants,for instance.
    They were very important not only in the early reconquista,but also later during the 12/15 centuries and also during the Discoveries.
    And,in the 14 century about 200.000 Jews were living in Portugal (about 20% of population)
    They had a huge importance in the economy,politics,expansion,science,etc.
    There was a time,in early reconquista,when Christians,Moors and Jews lived togeter im mutal acceptance of their different cultures.And proud we are of all of them.
    Last edited by Ludicus; July 08, 2007 at 12:45 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast