Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome Tool >> Virus !

Icon2 Rome Tool >> Virus !

In this tool http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1045

is a Virus

Why is there a Virus ? I don't think a virus is should be in this tool ?

Can somebody help, why there is a Virus ?

BNS's Avatar ...

Default Re: Rome Tool >> Virus !

ive downloaded it and it contained no virus, either way you should always scan downloaded files for viruses

Hi,
    you are right there are two viruses i think
    who adds the virus does nobody know
    i installed it too
    but i delete the virus and i use the tool now
    there was a discussion abou it look at here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77066

Kallikratis's Avatar Miles

This "tool" infected my PC with Parite B virus! Please, either fix it or remove it.

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

Got me too, Norton is removing it so many times over now. This sucks big time.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

Twas removed and all is fine, but it was a persistent bugger, this file should be checked out ASAP.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I believe it is in the xpack and idx files

EDIT: This is still a great tool. I don't know how the virus got there but this isn't a scam.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

As i ve said earlier, i verifed by my self this archive, but if you have some 'suspission' you can remove that files and download the original of Vercingetorix to replace them.

* If you remove them, it will be impossible to extract music, and Picts (buildings, Units ...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----> It's good to have a powerful antivirus, But what is his reasoning to detect a "suspect" (i don't say virus but suspects) ?
    Normally i have to talk about this subject in technical sections, but it seems that it's more required here

It's good to provide themselves with a good Antivirus and to update it regularly: the major part of the editors offers in theory updates (free)

But before speaking about antivirus, there are reflexes of good direction to acquire, because you are the first & last line of defence:

Some basic reflexes to acquire What to make in front of all these threats :

To always be aware of an attached files or an object of too gravitational email. To remain careful with the joined files whose name ends in .EXE, .COM, .BAT, .VBS, .PIF, .OVL or .SCR .DOC (Word), .XLS (Excel) or .PPS (Powerpoint), which “can” contain malicious scripts or macros in Visual BASIC. except with being absolutely, completely and completely sure of his contents (in theory, nobody has reason to send you this kind of files, In case of doubt, you do not have any reason to open them: direction TRASH, without reading).

It is very important to note that the three software (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) informs you if the file which you open contains “macro”.

Thus to remain careful, without being paranoiac…

Attention with the double extension, like “something.GIF.VBS” or “something.MPG.EXE”, because it is one of fakes used by the originators of virus to hide the true identity of an infected file.

Not to put in its mouth, forgiveness, in its disk drive, a diskette which one does not know where it trailed.

To datasave its important files regularly, because even with the most extreme vigilance, worst can arrive.

To install an antivirus (the most recent version).

To analyze all that you receive: it is about one of the fundamental points of the prevention.

Analyze all the programs or files which you introduce or introduced into your computer before carrying out them or to open them.

You can thus detect possible the threats before they do not have time to infect any of your files.

To update your definitions of virus.

To update your definitions of virus. Did I say to update your definitions of virus???

In parte operis mei licet mihi praefari, bellum maxime omnium memorabile quae unquam gesta sint me scripturum, quod Hannibale duce Carthaginienses cum populo Romano gessere. Nam neque ualidiores opibus ullae inter se ciuitates gentesque contulerunt arma neque his ipsis tantum unquam uirium aut roboris fuit.

Hemilco how can i modify rtr with your tool?
    it says something with campaign but i dont understand

Busy!!!

Matt's Avatar Tiro

False positives happen often. I have no warning on my side.

I very clearly had infection with Parite virus from Rome Tool. I know because i is a new computer, OS only recently installed and the virus was present in the downloaded Rome Tool, also the computer began hanging / freezing as soon as I downloaded and ran this program.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Update your definitions of virus.

And there is many bad warnings (concerning Parite B Virus)

i had participated in the devel of this tool, i use it and i have

checked for viruses more than three times (
    what anti virus do u use

Don't tell me AVG cos it is the most ridiculous application i ve seen ' any arch is a potential virus'
    )

you know what i ll replace all vercingatorix scripts by new ones...

In parte operis mei licet mihi praefari, bellum maxime omnium memorabile quae unquam gesta sint me scripturum, quod Hannibale duce Carthaginienses cum populo Romano gessere. Nam neque ualidiores opibus ullae inter se ciuitates gentesque contulerunt arma neque his ipsis tantum unquam uirium aut roboris fuit.

That would be awesome Hemilcobarca. It must be annoying after making such an awesome tool, and then being complained to that there is a virus. I myself havent tried because it said there was a virus, but if you replaced with a new one, that would be very much appreciated.

RM3
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

By virus I mean something that was identified as one and caused virus like effects and after deleting it the problems disappeared. It was a new install of windows, then I started getting system hangs/freezes after running Rome Tool. I ran the Parite virus remover, and since then haven't had freezes. That's pretty conclusive to me!

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Rome Tool revisited, Adware and spyware rechecked.
    I Hope you like it

This package is unfortunately still infected with the Win32/Parite virus.

The three files that are infected are:

Rome Tool.exe (5,202,400 bytes)
    xpak.exe (224,224 bytes)
    xidx.exe (300,500 bytes)

I haven't run the program yet, so I don't know if it's any good. It looks great from the screenshots, and I'd love to use it.

The version of xidx.exe (46,592 bytes) linked to by HemilcoBarca passes my virus scanner with no problems.
    Last edited by Setanta747; June 14, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: null edit to subscribe to thread

More information:

The (original) French version of the tool does NOT have a virus attached. The other two files are also virus-free.

Total Rome.exe (4,842,496 bytes)
    xpak.exe (122,688 bytes)
    xidx (46,592 bytes)

I hope this information is useful.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

technically, its a bacterial infection, because infections are curable, cirus are not.

Haven't managed to find a cure yet...

Be sure that Rome Tool does not contain any virus.

It use DELPHI language and It included two programs made by Vercingetorix which can be detected as virus because they are BATCH files and only because of their extension .bat (a common way to create virus).

In the french community, the tool has been dowloaded from January 2003 and NO PROBLEMS have been noticed.

PLEASE USE A GOOD ANTI-VIRUS ! CHECKED WITH ADWARE, SPYBOOT, NORTON, AVAST...

Do you really think it was my objective ? Please, be serious... The RTR team asked me to use my tool, is it not enough for you ?!

UDun, feel free to email me instead of warning everybody like this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast