Thread: is intel core 5 series good processors?

Default is intel core 5 series good processors?

Heres the computer i wish to get. As you can see, the ram and SSD space are terrific, but i was just wondering about the 5 series of intel processors? Seeing that i7 and i9 are out allready, is i5 a good enough one to go with? Remember, the most you can ask for of SSD and ram, without raising the prices well over $1000
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

Default Re: is intel core 5 series good processors?

I also have an exterior cd rom drive. this computer has a USB port to plug it in but how do i even know if it will work with and register CDs? I know CDs are a thing of the past but thats what i save my important stuff on before i make a new computer transfer

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I have like zero idea about technology/computers. that said:

If I were you I would put the processor before the RAM, which may not be so important to you if you have a very good graphics card. (i7 or i9 and 16Gb ram). Also, I've been taking a look and it seems that the price difference between i5 and i7 may be between 50 and 100 euros. Don't be stupid like me, I bought a Ryzen 5 and am regretting not paying a little more for a Ryzen 7 (or 9. wtf.)

Doesnt this one looks better? (16G ram, expandable to 32)
    I respect your fetishism with disks, your new computer will most likely recognize your reader, but for the love of god, buy an external hard drive.
    Last edited by mishkin; March 13, 2024 at 04:45 PM.

I respect your signature.

Im really happy with the RAM and SSD size. Would it supplement for a yesterday processor? It could
    Because the highest RAM ive seen is 64 GB, the highest SSD ive seen is 2T. But my computer is in the order now, so i cant do much about it

My processor now is an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U. Surely a newer intel must be that much better?

Im with you, ive only been learning about this stuff for several weeks now, doing some PC hunting on the web

EDIT. And my current ram is only 8 GB, so this new computer surely is an upgrade. Only the extremely newer games run a bit sketchy on my comp right now, the other ones are fine. Some games however sure do take their sweet time loading up though!

edit again. And someone told me its hard or impossible upgrading anything in a laptop PC verses a desktop, because everything in a laptop is crammed in there and hard to change
    Last edited by Gaul; March 14, 2024 at 03:29 PM.

Blog Entries

There is no doubt that you have bought a very good laptop, enjoy it. I just want to emphasize that I think it is possible to expand at least the RAM and the hard drive (things that you obviously don't need, but coincidentally I am considering*). Greetings and again, enjoy your purchase

*my laptop only have 512 gigabytes of hard drive

Yes, im very happy its a nice little computer. for a decent price. i cant even figure where i can check my hard drive, i just know about the 8 gigs of RAM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
    i cant even figure where i can check my hard drive, i just know about the 8 gigs of RAM.
    I know Windows is a piece of , but it can't be such a big piece of that it doesn't have a place where you can see complete information about your system.

yes, the calamities of life. Well the new laptop will be here any day now, so i just update windows and re down load important stuff like CCleaner, Avast, zoom, skipe, etc?

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

There is a System Information tool that gives all sorts of details although it's not terribly intuitive. Speccy would probably simplify it. Frankly I'm not sure either avast or ccleaner are particularly important, indeed the opposite. Avast just got dinged for gross invasion of privacy and offers little that isn't given by windows defender + sanitary browsing and installation habits. Ccleaner offers incredibly little you can't do by other means (clean up the browser? just do that with the browser) or does stuff which it really ought not to be touching (playing with the registry which ought not be played with anyway). I'm curious what other programs on this vein you have in mind as I have a feeling some bloat is added on top (in fact, often times a first priority of a new laptop is cleaning the crap that's preinstalled which has no particular value to you). As stand in replacements for those two I like to advise ooshutup10/11 (a good start for learning what windows actually does and neutering some of its worse tendencies) and hardentools (a more effective security layer in addition to defender). Both good ways to start cleaning up although I'm well past them in terms of what I do to make my (somewhat limited now) windows experience more tolerable.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

avast and CCleaner are just small programs, ccleaner just erases internet cookies and screws around with the register, oh boy, avast is decent for blocking viruses before they make their way onto your computer and does im assuming a very thorough whole computer scan, with zero bugs found. Im guessing that always comes up because it blocks most viruses before they happen? skype and zoom are obvious. So what other programs do you think i would need with my new PC? Ausilogics can defrag in about 10 minutes, so im not guessing its of worth. If you can run me to window's defrag program, that would be great

Blog Entries

You might find here some useful information (about a lot of diverse windows things) Windows/Dedoimedo

Don't pay too much attention to me, remember that I know very little about technology and almost nothing about Windows, but I was under the impression that SSD disks did not need to be defragmented. Of course in Linux it is not necessary, and it sounds to me like it stopped being necessary in Windows years ago, regardless of the format they used (ntfs?).

Sorry for going off topic a bit but this is one of the reasons why I left Windows, the number of maintenance tools, often fake, that were "needed". Anyway it is very hard for me to believe that even Windows being Windows in the year 2024 you need external applications for its maintenance/security. Do not inflate your already inflated operating system, Gaul.
    Last edited by mishkin; March 18, 2024 at 02:33 PM.

Windows is the OG, what would be of computers or cell phones with out the invention of windows going back to windows 95? Just my opinion even though we all know theres better operating systems out there. Arent most windows apps free? i don't remember the last time i payed for anything besides the mcafee anti virus years back. And another question, will i be guided through the operation process through prompts or is it pretty much me, myself and I? A friend of mine said just fire it up, windows will update to need be and then add anything else you might want on your computer

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

defrag is meaningless / harmful for SSD and normally disabled. "Optimize" for SSD does the "trim" function instead.

The thermals on HP Victus are bad & would cause throttling issues after a year due to collection of dust and poor cooling/heat dissipation. For gaming laptops the famous & reliable series in:
    1) HP has Omen,
    2) Lenovo has LOQ,
    3) ASUS has TUF and
    4) ACER has Nitro series.
    So try to lookup in those offerings. As for laptop budget gaming, i5 processors are fine but will struggle on CPU bound games. Here you're more GPU limited, wouldn't recommend 3050 for 1080p gaming. For total war games (CPU intensive), i7 (basically 6+ cores) and 3060/4060 combo is more suitable.