Thread: The cancer of King Charles and implications on the British Monarchy

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default The cancer of King Charles and implications on the British Monarchy

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...cer-diagnosis/

The British Monarch has been diagnosed with cancer.

First, I would start by saying that prostate cancer is often mild and Charles' doctors probably caught it early enough to treat it easily.
    However, inevitably, this development will remind everyone how old Charles is. He is simply not a young man. Thus, I expect his diagnosis will lead to more British and commonwealth subjects to realize that unlike Elizabeth, their new king won't be around for decades.
    That said, Charles being diagnosed with cancer just a couple of years in his reign would perhaps strengthen the institution of the monarchy. Even if Charles survives and lives another 20 years, people will look towards William, and from what I gather, William is looked more favorably than his father. He is also significantly younger and has, so far, lived a healthier life so I expect William to survive 45-50 years more.
    If Charles' health deteriorates fast, I expect that the pro-monarchy people in the commonwealth won't start discussions about Republicanism, even on the Eve of Prince Andrew's scandals. And Charles having a serious health issue will perhaps push Andrew's scandals out of people minds.
    On the other hand, a quick succession of the head of state could lead people to think "if the head of state changes so often, why shouldn't we have a word on who he or she is?" Or Republicans may be emboldened by the monarch being a simple human like the rest of us and capitalize on it. I don't know.

What do you think?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: The cancer of King Charles and implications on the British Monarchy

Well King Charles/the royal family ARE cancer.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Based on my experiences with Britons and British media I don't think the Monarchy is in any danger. They either love them or love to hate them, but either way they care quite a bit about their royals and not having them would create a big hole nobody would know how to fill. I think you can add to that general mistrust in politics, meaning the prospect of having an elected head of state is probably not at all appealing. If Britain were to declare itself a Republic, they'd probably elect Charles (or William) as its president, for life.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Based on my experiences with Britons and British media I don't think the Monarchy is in any danger. They either love them or love to hate them, but either way they care quite a bit about their royals and not having them would create a big hole nobody would know how to fill. I think you can add to that general mistrust in politics, meaning the prospect of having an elected head of state is probably not at all appealing. If Britain were to declare itself a Republic, they'd probably elect Charles (or William) as its president, for life.
    Dunno about them becoming president but otherwise I think you're right. The 'health issue" isn't his prostate AFAIK and treatment has begun immediately so its at least serious if not critical.

I haven't spoken to my English and other British friends for ages but I suspect its still the case its familiar so they'll hang on for a while. My view is the monarchy isn't a cancer, it's a mask for the City to rule the British Isles and run its money laundering cartel.

Charles is unpopular, he's very arrogant and only slightly less hated for his direct manner of speaking his mind than his father who was truly hated in the armed forces to my direct knowledge, even loyalists in the SAS found him uncomfortable. The Queen was a charming able and hardworking woman, and earned even here opponent's respect.

William and Kate are more popular than Charles. Should Charles die they will improve the Monarchy's chances for survival.

Australia is shaping up to become a republic, albeit still in the Commonwealth and still with a huge proportion of UK corporate ownership. UK based miners (and agriculturalists) are a dominant force in our politics still: they sacked a government in 1975 who wanted to nationalise the mines.

Charles is a nobody here, perhaps mildly distasteful because of the split with the popular Diana. The left here are shaping up to create the republic and its a matter of time. The push was skillfully foiled in 2000 by a rat politician called Howard. this time around the leadership on the right is the enervated by factional infighting. As with UK Tories having Murdochs support means pretty hopeless cases get elected because they are gifted power rather than earning it.

The Murdoch Family largely support the monarchy although they like to milk them for stories too, eg the pegging stuff recently, the Diana tapes and so on. They are too good an assett to be discarded so for this reason above all I think the Monarchy will survive for now, even if Charles lives.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

On the banknotes (with the touched up portrait), Charles actually looks a lot like my uncle

But my uncle died a few years ago.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I haven't spoken to my English and other British friends for ages but I suspect its still the case its familiar so they'll hang on for a while. My view is the monarchy isn't a cancer, it's a mask for the City to rule the British Isles and run its money laundering cartel.
    That... has some merit I haven't considered.
    Having a king allows England and the UK to keep the commonwealth more integrated with them, since having a king preside over the various countries of the commonwealth is MUCH easier than telling Canada "You know what? Your head of state will be elected in England!"
    Nope. If the head of state is hereditary and happens to have both Canada, Australia, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and 50+ states around the world, it is much much easier than tell having one elected.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Kate Middleton had surgery too and would take months to recuperate.
    Anyone knows what happened to her? Months to recuperate at her age sounds a bit... too long.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Kate Middleton had surgery too and would take months to recuperate.
    Anyone knows what happened to her? Months to recuperate at her age sounds a bit... too long.
    The propaganda machine is sputtering a little. Young people marry into the royal family to be served up like sashimi to the press one slice at a time.

This poor princess isn't fit to face the cameras. Her value to her husband is diminishing.

Overall the monarchy keeps the peace in the British Isles. Their firim of rule is a barbaric throwback and they embody a lot of bad principles including bigotry (monarch can only be from one religion) and theocratic rule (ultimately the sovereign rules through divine right and owns the entire country).

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Hm, I guess the prophecies may be proven true afterall. The indolent King Charles will not reign for long and will be soon replaced by the glorious King William who will restore the British Empire to its former glory... or sth along those lines.