Thread: internet outage while using steam

Default internet outage while using steam

My internet and cable provider sucks, pretty much. If im playing a game in steam, or more importantly a total war game, and my internet goes out, would i for example loose the battle im playing? And perhaps a return to windows? Or can this actually harm my computer if this scenario happened?
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: internet outage while using steam

It depends on the game, only games that require constant online connectivity to play would kick you from the game - I don't think any total war game does that. It definitely couldn't harm your computer.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

I never play multi player, just on my own. so you're saying a game doesn't have to run through steam constantly, just to start it up? So if i have a game going the internet acting up again won't affect it? I guess that's true because saved games and game files are all on my own computer not through steams installation on my computer

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Unless you're playing multiplayer there's no reason an outage should cripple your game though if you use steam cloud for save games, you may experience less inconvenience by ensuring games save local to your system. For med 2 at least I know completely terminating the steam application can cause the game to shut down but not offline mode.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
    I never play multi player, just on my own. so you're saying a game doesn't have to run through steam constantly, just to start it up? So if i have a game going the internet acting up again won't affect it? I guess that's true because saved games and game files are all on my own computer not through steams installation on my computer
    Correct. Your saves are stored locally and in the cloud. If you have a game going and it doesn't require constant internet connectivity, which most don't and if they do it has nothing to do with Steam, then your internet going out wont effect anything.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Thanks bros, and happy gaming!