View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the Republican primaries?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vivek Ramaswamy

1 12.50%
  • Nikki Haley

3 37.50%
  • Donald Trump

4 50.00%
  • Ron DeSanctis

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Presidential primaries (2024)

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Presidential primaries (2024)

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I strongly disagree. Biden has been an ineffective president, paralyzed by a country divided and faced with global challenges he is ill-equipped to handle.
    His achievements would not have been minor... if he didn't have to roll them back later to get approval from the Republicans.

Meanwhile Obama is the 10th best president in USA's history according to several historians and presidential scholars.
    Obama was supremely mediocre but he has the advantage that he was preceded and followed by 3 comically bad presidents. Anyone would look like genius when following Bush and being followed by Trump and Biden.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Obama was supremely mediocre but he has the advantage that he was preceded and followed by 3 comically bad presidents. Anyone would look like genius when following Bush and being followed by Trump and Biden.
    Well, "mediocre" is not bad. As you said, he was preceded and followed by presidents worse than him, several ones. And those bad presidents were not the only bad presidents in USA's history. Thus... your comment is not completely contradicting the historians. You effectively said "Obama was mediocre and still the best President since 1988".
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Well, Read: Historians rank Trump as worst president

I wonder why...
    -----
    The Washington Gerontocracy -New Yorker

In a declining society, the images of an aging leadership can come to embody a general sense of withering and decay...Is the United States in the midst of its own zastoi? Are we a teetering democracy of gerontocrats? The polls show that much of the American electorate fears just that.

(...)And yet voting is often a matter of choosing among highly constrained choices. The portrait of Biden that emerges from Franklin Foer’s new book, “The Last Politician,” isn’t always flattering, but it makes plain that Biden is the one calling the shots in this Administration. Unlike the Eastern Bloc gerontocracies of the zastoi era, there’s nothing ossified about its approach to politics. In the 2020 primaries, Democratic voters picked Biden by a sizable margin; he has not, amazingly enough, grown any younger since. The real menace isn’t posed by an elderly pol intent on protecting and renewing a democratic republic; it’s posed by a chaos agent who fomented insurrection and promises to return America to a state of misery.
    Well said.
    Last edited by Ludicus; February 20, 2024 at 02:08 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Well, "mediocre" is not bad. As you said, he was preceded and followed by presidents worse than him, several ones. And those bad presidents were not the only bad presidents in USA's history. Thus... your comment is not completely contradicting the historians. You effectively said "Obama was mediocre and still the best President since 1988".
    Not really from a democratic perspective Biden is clearly a better democrat president. Obama remains mediocre lots a of flash put very poor delivery when he had a very large working edge in the house and senate and than pretty flat footed after loosing it. ON balance I not from a democratic perspective he rates over Clinton. There a lot to look back on and dislike about Bill but things like China in the WTO were pretty universal approved at the time and a republican GB seniors policy would have been the same. But the fact was the US was saint Ron's America and no democrat left of Bill was going even have a chance at victory.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

So, Williamson for reasons unknown re-started her campaign after dropping out.
    What is that, for starters? Quitting being a quitter? Does she expect donors to re-trust her after she dropped out and re-entered the race, just because a lot of people are skeptical of Bidet?
    Second, how on earth she still thinks she has a chance in hell to make a blimp (let alone challenge Biden)?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

So, Williamson for reasons unknown re-started her campaign after dropping out.
    What is that, for starters? Quitting being a quitter? Does she expect donors to re-trust her after she dropped out and re-entered the race, just because a lot of people are skeptical of Bidet?
    Second, how on earth she still thinks she has a chance in hell to make a blimp (let alone challenge Biden)?
    This is merica if you get any money at all you gad about on someone's dime not your own and live large - look at pudding fingers. Plus she probably realizes the NYT will burn the country down in order to have horse race coverage rather than do real journalism so she will get headlines.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Trump, no question. He is the only question who will even pretend to care about the issues that affect normal Americans on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Trump, no question. He is the only question who will even pretend to care about the issues that affect normal Americans on a daily basis.
    I really can't think of one Trump policy that during 4 years helped me or my family.

Exactly. Yet MAGAs are giving him money and getting nothing in return other than the hope that something good will happen for them. Then when nothing good happens they don't blame the man who took their money and gave them nothing in return. They blame everyone else.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-sai...033136120.html

Putin says he prefers a Biden win in 2024.

To be honest, the Russian troll farms say something different.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ally-bloodbath

Joe Biden tore into Donald Trump’s mental stability at a dinner in Washington DC on Saturday – just as the former president was making verbal gaffes at a campaign rally in Ohio as well as predicting a “bloodbath” if he met defeat in November’s election.
    Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, confused the crowd at an appearance in Vandalia by insisting that Biden had beaten “Barack Hussein Obama” in elections nationally that never took place.

Freewheeling during a speech in which his teleprompters were seemingly disabled by high winds, Trump – a frequent critic of the 81-year-old Biden’s age and mental acuity – struggled to pronounce the words “bite” and “largest”. And he left the crowd scratching their heads over the reference to Obama, whom Biden served as vice-president from 2009 to 2017 before taking the Oval Office from Trump in 2020.

“You know what’s interesting? Joe Biden won against Barack Hussein Obama. Has anyone ever heard of him? Every swing state, Biden beat Obama but in every other state, he got killed,” Trump said.
    Biden joked about Trump’s mental fitness at Saturday night’s Gridiron club dinner, a traditional “roast” attended by politicians and journalists dating to the 1880s.
    “One candidate is too old and mentally unfit to be president. The other one is me,” the president said.
    “Don’t tell him. He thinks he’s running against Barack Obama, that’s what he said,” Biden added, referring to several previous occasions when the 77-year-old Trump has confused the incumbent and presumptive 2024 opponent with his Democratic predecessor.
    Trump’s Ohio address, ostensibly in support of Bernie Moreno, his preferred candidate in the state’s Republican Senate primary Tuesday, also saw the former president returning to darker, more apocalyptic themes.
    The US, Trump insisted during comments about the auto workers and the car industry, was headed for “a bloodbath” if he was rejected again at the polls in favor of Biden.
    “Now, if I don’t get elected, it’s gonna be a bloodbath. That’s going to be the least of it. It’s going to be a bloodbath for the country,” he said, without clarifying what he meant.
    Alright Magas, tell me what he really meant. How he didn't really get confused about who he's even running against and didn't really threaten a bloodbath against Americans if he loses.

Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123