Thread: FPS capped to 60 on all games

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Default FPS capped to 60 on all games

hello TWC! when i play games my fps is capped at 60 for some reason. i only have 2 games installed, Skyrim and Resident Evil 2 remake. and im starting to think it has somwthing to do with windows 11. anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? i have a 7800X3D cpu and a radeon 7900XT graphic card.

thanks in advance!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: FPS capped to 60 on all games

Off the top of my head you might find it useful to check AMD Software -> settings menu -> Graphics -> see if Chill or FRTC are enabled which would affect your maximum framerate.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    Off the top of my head you might find it useful to check AMD Software -> settings menu -> Graphics -> see if Chill or FRTC are enabled which would affect your maximum framerate.

Hello, everythings been disable...by default. i really think it has something to do with windows 11.

OK i disabled vsync in RE2 and the fps limits gone lollll. now i just need to disable it in skyrim somehow.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Just a question: Considering you can't see more than 24 frames per second, why do you care about a frame limit of 60 FPS? Even 30 FPS would seem the same to you.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The effect is tangible. Nvidia has an interesting guide on the more extreme/competitive end, but the fact it goes that far should help signify that a difference does indeed exist.

In the case of skyrim from what I recall fps is tied to physics, so lifting the lock on that may not be a good idea. However I found this which might be some help:

Quote Originally Posted by Borthralla on Reddit
    First, in Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition SkyrimPrefs.ini, under [Display], set iVSyncPresentInterval=0. This disables Skyrim's VSync which is part of what caps the framerate. In Skyrim.ini, under [Display], Add bLockFramerate=0. Now your fps is truly unlocked, but you will experience problems with the physics engine/animations. To fix this, add to the bottom of Skyrim.ini:

[HAVOK]
    fMaxTime=0.0069

0.0069 is for 144 fps. For other fps values, look here

To fix the screen taring, I happen to have a GSync monitor which means I don't need VSync. If you don't have a GSync/FreeSync monitor, you can use the NVidia Control Panel or other Software to add VSync which works at higher framerates.
    If you use GSync like me, or if you want more consistant fps, it may be a good idea to use software like RiverTuner to cap your fps at your monitor's refresh rate.

Congratulations, you can now play Bug-free Skyrim at 144+ fps. Have fun!
    Spoiler for Useful nuggets from the "here" link
    [HAVOK]
    fMaxTime=0.0333 is for 30fps, may help performance on slow computers
    fMaxTime=0.0166 is for 60fps
    fMaxTime=0.0133 is for 75fps
    fMaxTime=0.0111 is for 90fps
    fMaxTime=0.0083 is for 120fps
    fMaxTime=0.0069 is for 144fps
    fMaxTime=0.0042 is for 240fps+
    and
    [Display]
    iVSyncPresentInterval=0 for Special Edition
    iPresentInterval=0 for Original edition
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Just a question: Considering you can't see more than 24 frames per second, why do you care about a frame limit of 60 FPS? Even 30 FPS would seem the same to you.
    Just a question: Have you ever played a video game before?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

The effect is tangible. Nvidia has an interesting guide on the more extreme/competitive end, but the fact it goes that far should help signify that a difference does indeed exist.In the case of skyrim from what I recall fps is tied to physics, so lifting the lock on that may not be a good idea. However I found this which might be some help:
    [HAVOK]fMaxTime=0.0333 is for 30fps, may help performance on slow computersfMaxTime=0.0166 is for 60fpsfMaxTime=0.0133 is for 75fpsfMaxTime=0.0111 is for 90fpsfMaxTime=0.0083 is for 120fpsfMaxTime=0.0069 is for 144fpsfMaxTime=0.0042 is for 240fps+and[Display]iVSyncPresentInterval=0 for Special EditioniPresentInterval=0 for Original edition
    Will this work for a skyrim modlist called NOlvus Ascension?? Its a huge modlist that adds more than 2000+ mods, and i think they also made adjustments to physics as well. i dont want to screw anything up and have this crash my game lol.
    Last edited by Douchebag; January 13, 2024 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    no way, 30 is way to choppy for me. i just want to see how much FPS i can get on my new rig. more the better

The effect is tangible. Nvidia has an interesting guide on the more extreme/competitive end, but the fact it goes that far should help signify that a difference does indeed exist.

In the case of skyrim from what I recall fps is tied to physics, so lifting the lock on that may not be a good idea. However I found this which might be some help:

[HAVOK]
    fMaxTime=0.0333 is for 30fps, may help performance on slow computers
    fMaxTime=0.0166 is for 60fps
    fMaxTime=0.0133 is for 75fps
    fMaxTime=0.0111 is for 90fps
    fMaxTime=0.0083 is for 120fps
    fMaxTime=0.0069 is for 144fps
    fMaxTime=0.0042 is for 240fps+
    and
    [Display]
    iVSyncPresentInterval=0 for Special Edition
    iPresentInterval=0 for Original edition
    OK, so i went ahead and tried this anyway. to my surprise everything has already been set to 0 except for "HAvok". i changed the number to 0.0069 and started my game but its still capped at 60 lolllllllllllll. im at a loss here. im really starting to think its windows 11 thats causing this.

NEVERMIND! I managed to unlock my fps after tweaking some settings. thanks a lot for the answers guys

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

What settings were they out of curiosity (if you remember), in case someone happens on the thread with a similar problem?

What settings were they out of curiosity (if you remember), in case someone happens on the thread with a similar problem?
    Nolvus modlist uses a mod called SSE Display Tweaks which you can find here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspec...ion/mods/34705

I set:
    EnableVSync = false

and according to the instructions in the SSE Display Tweaks Ini file, i should also set
    EnableTearing=true

and then scroll all the way down and set the Havok Settings to false. apparently SSE Display Tweaks overrides skyrim.ini files, which is why my FPS was locked
    Enabled=false