Thread: Constantly crashing loading into battle (Stainless Steel 6.4 with Bugfix 1.27 installer method)

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Default Constantly crashing loading into battle (Stainless Steel 6.4 with Bugfix 1.27 installer method)

Hey there. I recently installed Medieval 2 from Steam and added Stainless Steel from here onto Windows 11 using the installer: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...patible/page13. Setup was fine all files passed. Game launches, runs great except it frequently crashes while loading into battle, always a graphics error suggesting I lower my settings. Tried that it doesn't seem to help. Tried adding the 4GB memory to the SS 6.4 executable doesn't seem to help. Sometimes It also will crash while in a long siege battle (unspecified error). Started to try to mess around with compatibility settings per a discussion I saw on Steam with Gigantus but I didn't really understand what to do.

I've basically given up, just thought I'd post here to see if anyone has suggestions. Got to turn 74 as Aragon, campaign was really heating up so I'm bummed. Basically can't get through a siege battle for Barcelona as besieged by the French.
    Last edited by Huberto; November 03, 2023 at 11:24 AM.

Default Re: Constantly crashing loading into battle (Stainless Steel 6.4 with Bugfix 1.27 installer method)

Update. I did manage to get through the siege battle, winning of course. I turned my video settings in the Medieval 2 menu even farther down to "medium" and selected widescreen and vsync. It shrunk my screen size and resolution for the battle quite a bit even though the settings in my config. file look the same, i.e. 1440 p. Just loaded the game and my original higher video settings are loaded. So the trick is saving each time there is a battle and then quitting to the menu, downgrade the video, then back to the battle? I'll keep tinkering with this.

Default Re: Constantly crashing loading into battle (Stainless Steel 6.4 with Bugfix 1.27 installer method)

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I'll keep tinkering with this.
    Well I tried at the lowest resolution but then crashes started up again after the battles for a change, or during campaign movement turns, and it got to be too much even for a die-hard like yours truly. Uninstalled game and mods. My system is Windows 11, RTX 4090, Intel 10850K, 32 GB DDR 4 memory. But SOL I have an old(er) quad core rig gathering dust in my closet maybe it's time to plug that in. A rig dedicated to Medieval 2 haha.