Thread: Loosing my interest in Total War. Looking for advice

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Loosing my interest in Total War. Looking for advice

This is not for complaining but to share my feelings about Total War. Recently Im loosing my interest in new historical Total War games.

I discovered Total War for first time in 2009 when I started looking at youtube videos with Empire naval battles, I was so impressed that I did my best to get Empire and I was even impatient to start playing it back in 2010. When Napoleon arrived I felt the same, I was very happy and wanted to Play Napoleon, I really enjoyed that games. With Shogun 2 and mainly Fall of the Samurai I could not resist a Total War based on 19th century but also I had similar feelings of happiness and fulfilment I had with Empire and Napoleon. Similarly happened to me with Rome 2 and then started loosing some interest with Attila but still I was very happy with Attila.

Then after Attila I started loosing interest in coming historical titles to the point that I purchased them but I didnīt want to play but casual games. I purchased Troy and I have it almost abandoned and the same for Pharaoh. These 2 latest Total War games do not have naval and historical battles, 2 of my favourite features I loved to play in other historical Total War games. I loved to plan a strategy, to command my units in challenging historical scenarios. Now I canīt no longer play naval battles and also I have to use custom battles in Troy and Pharaoh. I have them but barely played and also Im not happy with them.

I know is my fault and I feel sorry to not being able to enjoy and appreciate all time and effort of Creative Assembly in all these games from Thrones of Britannia to Pharaoh. Maybe I no longer enjoy videogames or I can not find rts games in recent years that appeal and connect with me. For this reason I am thinking to switch another hobby or look in other genres historical games.

This is not for complaining but hopefully somebody can read me at least and understand my feelings.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Loosing my interest in Total War. Looking for advice

Interest in any kind of game wanes. I would strongly suggest you to try 3KTW as it is refreshingly different from other titles.
    I am not surprised Pharaoh or 3KTW don't have land battles but I AM surprised Troy doesn't have naval battles. It does sound strange.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

My sugestion is to go even backk further than ETW to M2TW/KIngfoms that with thousands HIGH QUALITY mods for every time period or fantacy you will never get bored.
    Mods with FHD graphics textures and high polygone and historically accurate models waiting for you.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Antonie, Incendio was clear that naval battles are very important for his enjoyment and the lack of naval battle post-attila is one of the main reasons of his disappointment with the series.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

You're aging, Incendio... Maybe Ultimate General? Or Grand Tactician?
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

SlartyBartfast's Avatar Decanus

I find that house rules can reinvigorate your interest. Sometimes it helps to get away from the computer and out into nature for a few months as well
    "Huh?"