Thread: Is Troy worth getting?

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Is Troy worth getting?

The Ultimate version is 60% off, so I was wondering as I'm considering getting it.

RafSwi7's Avatar Content Staff
    Citizen

Default Re: Is Troy worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    The Ultimate version is 60% off, so I was wondering as I'm considering getting it.
    Do you like the setting (the Trojan War)? If yes, you will most likely will like the game.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

It's not a standout mechanically and the gameplay is limited, but then, the game is generally cheaper than other titles anyway as a saga title. Sagas haven't sold me yet in value but as Raf indicates you still have a shot if the setting appeals to you. Note that it likes to straddle the line of fantasy and historical far closer than previous historical titles for unit choice and mechanics.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

It's a hard question to answer that question even at 60% off.

It's very similar in desgin to Warhammer, even the "historical" mode which CA added a year or so later. Troy features some of the worst of modern Total War: an over the top hero-centric game system you can't avoid with loads of special ability buttons. The trading system is fun at first but becomes tedium like the leveling up systems.

Battles are negatively impacted by so many things like the special abilities which can wreck the logic of battles (e.g. I've got good spears in line in the forest on a hill slope but they all rout quickly because a hero used a morale debuff). Units float around and can run through each other. Slingers can arc fire quite effectively, the physical simulation of combat is discarded to make the effects work. Units rout the wrong way and end up flanking or taking victory points which wrecks the tactical meaning of combat. The AI turn times are marathons you can jockey them with a FF button but it's hard to tell which button is toggled. The UI is a disaster & I cannot emphasize how much is wrong with it (if you're really curious I will respond in more detail).

If you can tolerate all this (maybe you like the gameplay of Warhammer?) then you might enjoy Troy. I did enjoy the tense situation I was put in, with few resources, many foes and allies, and interesting resource allocation decisions relative to the situation on the map. In that sense, and in that sense only it resembled some of the best experiences I've had in TW.

The bottom line is all this does not bode well for Pharaoh.
    Last edited by Huberto; July 05, 2023 at 11:01 AM.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I see what you mean about the UI. I see what they were going for, but everything is way too small and the minimap is useless. Plus, it'd be nice if the campaign diplomacy map actually showed what territories are held by whom. Instead, its a big blob of sand. Hopefully there's a mod that rectifies this and I can find it.