Thread: Someone claims to have modded the campaign map...

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Someone claims to have modded the campaign map...

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...nd_new_region/

Here is a person that claims to have successfully edited the campaign map for R2TW and that this would work for other games too. Can someone more tech-savy check and tell me if this is true? I am aware that a group of modders are making a brand new campaign map for Attila.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Someone claims to have modded the campaign map...

It's a claim with a video and I don't see a downloadable proof of concept, but I do believe it and the video doesn't look fake to me. I've always characterized campaign modding as 'prohibitively difficult' and not impossible, meaning it would be a matter of time before someone would eventually figure out some tricks. If there's a team on Attila for this and downloadable proofs of concept for Shogun 2, why not this?

What will be more interesting to me is if someone provides useful workflows so others can do it, and at a reasonable pace to make it worthwhile.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    It's a claim with a video and I don't see a downloadable proof of concept, but I do believe it and the video doesn't look fake to me. I've always characterized campaign modding as 'prohibitively difficult' and not impossible, meaning it would be a matter of time before someone would eventually figure out some tricks. If there's a team on Attila for this and downloadable proofs of concept for Shogun 2, why not this?

What will be more interesting to me is if someone provides useful workflows so others can do it, and at a reasonable pace to make it worthwhile.
    The guy there, down in the thread, says he's working on a tool with a team of friends, that they plan to give out for free. Some tools that would still require a lot of work but they would be easier than what they did. Trying to make them more user-friendly.

As for S2TW, CA gave the tools needed.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If the tools are published and usable, that will be quite the advancement indeed.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

If the tools are published and usable, that will be quite the advancement indeed.
    The time barrier remains, but at least it would be accessible to more people with a lot of free time.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

The tool is perfectly usable for Attila, Thrones of Britannia and I think Warhammer III also had a proof of concept.
    Having access to the tool myself, I can say that it is not 100% ready yet for Rome II, hell it's not even 100% ready for Attila, some features are still missing.

You have access to the tool?!? Is it easy to use? Or... easier than what we have for S2TW?

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    You have access to the tool?!? Is it easy to use? Or... easier than what we have for S2TW?
    I don't know what there is around for S2TW so I can't judge.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Is there any more news on the development of a campaign map modding tool for newer games?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Is there any more news on the development of a campaign map modding tool for newer games?
    The tool hasn't been made public just yet, but it definitely works. Only "public demonstration" so far is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3R_XCKwBDs

The Dawnless Days mod for Attila is what you should follow for more news, as it's going to be the first big mod to made use of it (As the creator of the tool is one of the lead devs there)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks, good luck to everyone working on the Dawnless Days mod!