Thread: CTD on loading save

Default CTD on loading save

Finally got to the good part of my Epirot campaign and now I crash when loading the save.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: CTD on loading save

Did you make any changes to game files after starting your campaign? Like changing building capabilities especially?

None, I like the vanilla EB2 experience (fully updated).

Looks like there are EBII scripts that run when the game is reloaded according to https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post14839112 . The monitor is called GameReloaded. EBII has two of them: one that does a bunch of unrelated cleanup work (this one didn't cause any problems, because your logs contain

Code:
    18:43:07.867 [game.script] [always] Game Reloaded
    18:43:07.867 [game.script] [always] Battle Scripts Reset
    However, another monitor for GameReloaded deals with the case where the player accidentally saves without addressing a Yes/No decision scroll.

Code:
    ; === Reload Safe Yes\No events, by Withnwar ===
        ; If a game gets saved while a Yes\No event is pending then the save will put the script into
        ;	a permanent loop. This monitor reloads the event sequence so that the decision can still be made.

;        if I_EventCounter [he_true_event] = 1
        ;            and I_EventCounter [he_true_event]_accepted = 0
        ;            and I_EventCounter [he_true_event]_declined = 0
        ;            campaign_wait 0.1
        ;            historic_event [he_true_event] true
        ;            ; add rest of monitor
        ;        end_if
    So, did you save the game without deciding on a Yes/No scroll? Since you're playing as Epeiros, the decision would most likely be the Federalization reform, where if you couldn't fulfill or maintain the Centralization reform conditions before the starting royal line dies out, you get a Yes/No decision to devolve into a confederation of city states.

Otherwise, please enable trace or even error logs and try to trigger the CTD again https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...=1#post7175298

Thanks for the reply, I was centralised having conquered Sicily and Pella so that shouldn't have been the problem, maybe a smaller scroll. from my understanding I have error logs enabled, I'll redo the config and see if that helps. I'll update in a minute. Also, here is my cfg file after changing it to how your linked post shows, does it look alright?

Code:
    to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt 
    level = * trace                    ## generates a smaller error log file. Use this setting during normal gameplay
    #level = * error                ## Currently disabled. Generates a large error log file. Use this setting when tracking down a CTD

Update, recreated the CTD with new logs.

We're getting closer to the issue, but unfortunately it probably has to do with campaign_script.txt, which means that even if the bug was discovered, the fix won't be savegame compatible. Please post your campaign_script.txt, since the last trace lines

Code:
    14:07:02.645 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <wait> at line 83193 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    14:07:02.645 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <wait_monitors> at line 307639 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    indicate that the crash happened while executing the campaign script there.

Also, please change your cfg to

Code:
    #level = * trace                    ## generates a smaller error log file. Use this setting during normal gameplay
    level = * error                ## Currently disabled. Generates a large error log file. Use this setting when tracking down a CTD
    so that I can see the error logs, and please redo the CTD

Done.

Please also share your campaign_script.txt

Yes boss!

Half a second before your game crashed, this log line got spammed multiple times

Code:
    14:07:03.457 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/portraits/portraits/dead/004.tga (from: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:07:03.457 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/portraits/portraits/dead/004.tga (from: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:07:03.458 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/portraits/portraits/dead/004.tga (from: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:07:03.458 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/portraits/portraits/dead/004.tga (from: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Medieval II Total War)
    14:07:04.041 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.
    Please check if C://SteamLibrary/steamapps/Common/Medieval II Total War/mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/portraits/portraits/dead/004.tga exists or not.

Going back to the trace logs, these lines

Code:
    14:07:02.645 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <wait> at line 83193 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    14:07:02.645 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <wait_monitors> at line 307639 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    refer to this quirky script that reminds you when you've played too much

Code:
    ; === Play Time Reminder ===
        monitor_conditions TrueCondition
            wait 3600.0                                  ; time in seconds until first reminder (one hour)
            historic_event HE_reminder_one               ; initial reminder after one hour
            if I_EventCounter HE_reminder_one > 0        ; initial reminder has fired
                set_event_counter repeat_reminder 1      ; setting repeat counter
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter repeat_reminder > 0        ; first repeat, two hours elapsed
                and I_EventCounter repeat_reminder < 2   ; first repeat, two hours elapsed
                wait 3600.0                              ; time in seconds until reminder (one hour)
                historic_event HE_reminder_two           ; repeating reminder
                inc_event_counter repeat_reminder 1
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter repeat_reminder > 1        ; second repeat, three hours elapsed
                and I_EventCounter repeat_reminder < 3   ; second repeat, three hours elapsed
                wait 3600.0                              ; time in seconds until reminder (one hour)
                historic_event HE_reminder_special       ; special reminder
                inc_event_counter repeat_reminder 1
            end_if
            if I_EventCounter repeat_reminder > 2        ; more then three hours elapsed
                historic_event HE_reminder_two           ; repeating reminder
                inc_event_counter repeat_reminder 1      ; optional, for use with additional special reminders
            end_if
        end_monitor
    Did you ever encounter a popup scroll after playing multiple hours telling you to touch grass or something similar? I'm serious, this script exists in the game, and the execution of that script started 2 seconds before the crash. To further go down this path, please revert your log level to trace like so

Code:
    level = * trace                    ## generates a smaller error log file. Use this setting during normal gameplay
    #level = * error                ## Currently disabled. Generates a large error log file. Use this setting when tracking down a CTD
    And trigger the CTD 3 times, grabbing the log file each time. If

Code:
    is consistently logged a few seconds before the crash, then we'd know what the issue is.

Meanwhile, from now on, please create a new save file each time you save in this format

Epirus001
    Epirus002
    Epirus003
    Epirus004

and so on, so that you can revert to an even earlier save each time. In fact, try loading your Autosave to see if that contains a usable version of your campaign

C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\Common\Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\ui\cul_4\portraits\portraits\dead\004.tga exists

I have seen that you played tooo long pop up before, but can't say if I saw it when playing on that save. I'll give you the logs when I have the time.

I tend to use a 2 save system, so if something happens I can revert to an earlier save. I've turned off Auto save so no help there!