Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are traditional Forums dying?

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Default Re: Why are traditional Forums dying?

Quote Originally Posted by Ast4roth View Post
    People always say it is because of Reddit or Discord, but that is a description of the problem, not the underlying reason. What is it that makes Reddit or Discord superior to forums?

Personally, I've always preferred forums. They allow for more permanent discussions, people generally put more effort into their posts (not everyone all the time, but on average) and they are a lot more structured. You have a nice neat division into different subforums in which discussions are again structured by threads.

In contrast, Discord is basically just an assortment of chats that flow aimlessly and go nowhere. Finding stuff is often difficult, too. Most posts are just effortless one-liners, spam, emojis or trolling. And Reddit isn't perfect, either. The upvoting system usually promotes in-jokes, memes and even trolling. Having a proper discussion is often basically impossible. Voicing a dissenting opinion in a subreddit often leads to being downvoted to hell. Not to mention the arcane posting restrictions in most subreddits.
    It's an excellent question. I simply can't believe that people would find Reddit and Discord to be more attractive than our TWC. You just simply can't compare the two. I find them two to be like you pointed out: childish,
    ridiculous and unconvenient to operate...

Then again, like many members pointed out in their replies perhaps the reason is because people have much shorter attention span nowadays and they prefer childish apps on their smartphone
    instead of the powerful, organized and orderly forum like TWC is which can only be used on desktop, laptop or tablet possibly...

Anyhow, something should be done that TWC stays relevant and popular and important to others, either TW games or politics or something else is needed to bring people over here..
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

A few times a year TWC has a 'what's to be done' conversation. These conversations need to work around an absent owner; only the Second(?) Coming of GED can bring us necessary forum features and integrations that would bring this site technically up to speed with modern forum design. At that point TWC needs to be able to thrive while forums are not at their peak.

What I'll say is this: a dismissive attitude to competitors who have ate a great deal of TWC's share is not going to get TWC anywhere. Those who've moved on from TWC have their own complaints: that it is slow, old, and yes, inconvenient. On reddit and discord they have centralized logins with (mostly >.>) consistent UI design that they've learned and become familiar with. With that familiarity they have access to countless communities with little effort, often just a quick search. I think the issue of inconvenience here is lack of familiarity with those platforms, not failings of them. Where you would call them childish they would call this forum obsolete, stuck in the past with dismissive attitudes towards new solutions and then wondering why it's so far behind. TWC is endangered in everything from casual conversation to serious modding projects, a majority of which have moved on to a combination of Moddb and Discord or integrating with Steam.

It is not productive to dismiss them out of hand, but it may be useful to discuss their differences and what TWC can do to survive, dare I say, thrive in spite of them. To get anywhere this needs people with achievable ideas and the will to make them happen, as well as a humbler attitude in the face of most of the series from classic games to the latest releases typically being based elsewhere. That in any depth is a topic for our (due?) seasonal Q&S thread.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    A few times a year TWC has a 'what's to be done' conversation. These conversations need to work around an absent owner; only the Second(?) Coming of GED can bring us necessary forum features and integrations that would bring this site technically up to speed with modern forum design. At that point TWC needs to be able to thrive while forums are not at their peak.

What I'll say is this: a dismissive attitude to competitors who have ate a great deal of TWC's share is not going to get TWC anywhere. Those who've moved on from TWC have their own complaints: that it is slow, old, and yes, inconvenient. On reddit and discord they have centralized logins with (mostly >.>) consistent UI design that they've learned and become familiar with. With that familiarity they have access to countless communities with little effort, often just a quick search. I think the issue of inconvenience here is lack of familiarity with those platforms, not failings of them. Where you would call them childish they would call this forum obsolete, stuck in the past with dismissive attitudes towards new solutions and then wondering why it's so far behind. TWC is endangered in everything from casual conversation to serious modding projects, a majority of which have moved on to a combination of Moddb and Discord or integrating with Steam.

It is not productive to dismiss them out of hand, but it may be useful to discuss their differences and what TWC can do to survive, dare I say, thrive in spite of them. To get anywhere this needs people with achievable ideas and the will to make them happen, as well as a humbler attitude in the face of most of the series from classic games to the latest releases typically being based elsewhere. That in any depth is a topic for our (due?) seasonal Q&S thread.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12