Thread: low , normal, disciplined, impetuous mental status

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

Default low , normal, disciplined, impetuous mental status

Im trying to reach back into some shady memory on these attributes in the mental_stat line.

im thinking i actually read some of the information im mentioning here in game manuals , cause i cant find any decent explanation in EDU breakdowns.

i thought i read once that low represented low mental awareness, not low morale (as morale is numerically rated). I noticed in the vanilla EDU a lot of excellent morale units used this attribute. .................................... However in all the mods i have played over the years no one has ever used low.
    So what exactly does it do. does it cause a lower morale drop to shocks in battle or a higher morale drop? Is it not as aware to what is happening on the flanks and rear?

normal seems explanatory enough.

we know that disciplined for sure ignores death of general. however is it related to the older version medieval 1 and shogun total war discipline attribute that ignores routers who are not elite?

We know that impetuous can lead to a unit not following orders, however on impetuous i thought i remember reading somewhere that impetuous gave some type performance bonus to the unit in combat. but i dont know i read that for medieval/shogun era games or later.

or i could be having a lot of false memories. could be things i read for previous versions of the game.

Ive already read all the EDU tutorial breakdowns. I know exactly what they typed but the descriptions are not thorough enough.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Default Re: low , normal, disciplined, impetuous mental status

i have a hypothesis that the low attribute means that a small amount of morale is taken off per morale hit.

so that would mean the unit will take more losses etc etc than a unit with a normal attribute.

thus low may almost be as strong a morale protector as disciplined. but in a different way.

how would i test this?

BETTER PIKES

so the test i made used the botet warhammer mod.

1 goblins normal mental attribute vs 5 zombie units

1 goblins low mental attribute vs 5 zombie units

the hypothesis was proven wrong. the low attribute leads quicker routs from morale shocks.

so we say that

low - routs sooner from shocks
    normal - normal
    disciplined ignores death of commander
    impetuous is the opposite of disciplined. it charges without orders. (some say ignores orders to withdraw, routs sooner due to morale shocks than disciplined.)

of course there is the berserker attribute also that i forgot about but not sure what it does. i hope that can be explained as i only read that berserker does not need to be explained which seems a rather ignorant explanation as it does not explain in a quantified manner.

my next test will involve whether impetuous gives a combat bonus.

BETTER PIKES

and here are some excerpts form medieval 1 total war which may give some insight into morale attributes

Morale
    Morale is the make or break factor in battle. If your morale gets too low your units will start to run. Each fleeing unit
    gives a morale penalty to friendly units that can see it, unless they possess the disciplined or elite status and the router
    doesn’t. To keep morale high you should act as the tutorial showed you: Keep your units together, protect their flanks,
    don’t make them turn their back on an enemy, make sure they are winning without taking too many losses.
    What is disciplined and elite?
    Disciplined and elite are two special statuses that a unit can have.
    1.Disciplined means the unit is less likely to chase off after enemy units when it is in the impetuous morale state. It also
    means that the unit doesn’t care about routing units on its own side unless they are of disciplined or elite status. The
    death of your general also has a reduced effect on disciplined units morale. This means that routing peasants and the like
    can no longer panic your army. If a unit does not possess disciplined status by default the only way to add it is to build
    the military academy in one of your production provinces. This will not add the disciplined tag to your unit but it will
    increase their discipline slightly. Units like knights still tend to be impetuous even with the discipline upgrade.
    2.Elite is a status that only the best troops have. It is similar to disciplined in that it means the unit ignores some routers,
    in this case anyone who isn’t elite themselves. Elite does not make a unit easier to control and it can never bee added to
    a unit that doesn’t already possess it.
    Both of these statuses are highly desirable. You should try to use more units that have one of these statuses than units that

Medieval: Total War - Beginners Guide by frogbeastegg

have no special status to make your army harder to rout in one go.
    so i wonder if units in medieval 2 have an attribute that would make them "elite". but medieval 1 morale mechanics were very good. so it would seem reasonable to assume that a unit in medieval may have some attribute that also gives a unit elite status.

BETTER PIKES