Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is is worth upgrading to Windows 11 yet?

Default Is is worth upgrading to Windows 11 yet?

As the title states, is it worth upgrading to? Running W10 and finally got around to making my PC capable of upgrading to W11 but want to know what you guys think. Read over a year ago that it wasn't but who knows what could have happen since then.

Thanks.

EDIT: Ugh, the second "is" should be "it" in the title.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; May 29, 2023 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Misspelling

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Is is worth upgrading to Windows 11 yet?

My experience so far says that Windows follow a predictable pattern: Good (1998), crap (2000), good (XP), crap (Vista), good (win 7), crap (win 8), good (win 10)

I am not sure they would break the pattern now...
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Personally I find the onset of this edition to be a perfect opportunity to ditch the windows ecosystem and to only maintain 10 for backwards compatibility, but that's a little extreme and may not be an option. Bottom line is that 11 is not obligatory and its merits are, arguable. It can fulfill certain niches if you really need them, which strike me as having been withheld from 10 so they could sell you a new operating system after calling 10 'the one'.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Thanks, that's what I've read as well.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

From what I gather, it's not possible to play battles in the Medieval2 engine on Win11. Are we certains of that? (I don't have Win11 yet, I can't check)
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    From what I gather, it's not possible to play battles in the Medieval2 engine on Win11. Are we certains of that? (I don't have Win11 yet, I can't check)
    JoC
    What? WHAT?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    JoC
    M2TW Definitive Edition, Steam, Win11 Home....vanilla works. Just gave it a quick check, just using quick battle.

Mainly want to upgrade because I haven't been able to fix the volume changing when I change applications. As well as File Explorer crashing if I go too far into sub folders.

What are your guys' thoughts on enabling "Secure Boot"? Should I have it on, which is needed for Windows 11, or does it not really mater. Still waiting to hear good things about W11 before I upgrade, but would like to be in a position where I have the option, where as I currently can't.

Think I may make the switch to 11. The sound problem of switching volumes now is weird. Sometimes it'll change to loud when I bring a new window to the front, then turn down when I switch back to the window responsible for the sound (MusicBee).

Think I may have to try 11. Can't bring the program Lychee to the screen. It's open, I can Windows Button + Tab. See it and select it, but it never comes onto the screen.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm intending to upgrade Soon™ on one device to break it in and test its capabilities/quirks/ability to debloat. No clue on any issues for it yet though.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dismounted Feudal Knight again.

Upgraded, nothing amazing. "Apply template to all subfolders" still does the opposite of what it's suppose to do.

EDIT: I imagine an empty, dark room, full of computers with their screens on, the the door slightly open, a janitor mopping the floors outside just shaking his head at 2 am. That is what Windows is to me. Poor Scruffy.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/mbnh1...promo.jpg/file

Last edited by NorthernXY; December 26, 2023 at 08:34 PM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

You can buy windows 11 Pro for like 5 bucks from a reseller. its OEM but it worked for me lolllllll. Just make sure you download windows 11 from microsofts official website. but the cd key is legit.

Also, I LOVE windows 11. made my switch from windows 7 and its a such a massive difference. kind of reminds me of my ipad pro

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    You can buy windows 11 Pro for like 5 bucks from a reseller. its OEM but it worked for me lolllllll. Just make sure you download windows 11 from microsofts official website. but the cd key is legit.

Also, I LOVE windows 11. made my switch from windows 7 and its a such a massive difference. kind of reminds me of my ipad pro
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking about doing, as I had W10 Pro. Do you have link you could send me for the W11 Pro OEM? Been under so much stress for the last few months, I can't think anymore.

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking about doing, as I had W10 Pro. Do you have link you could send me for the W11 Pro OEM? Been under so much stress for the last few months, I can't think anymore.
    sure thing https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/en-u...ompare-prices/

scroll down and buy it from software codes

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    sure thing https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/en-u...ompare-prices/

scroll down and buy it from software codes
    Thanks, anything I should notice about upgrading to W11 Pro?

Can't +Rep you.

EDIT: Think I did it wrong. Bought OEM W11 Pro, but can't figure out how to upgrade my W11 to Pro.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; January 31, 2024 at 06:15 PM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

And they say linux is complicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast