Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Republican candidates

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default The Republican candidates

The campaign season for the Republicans is opening officially around now. So far, the main candidates are:

Donald Trump: If you don't know him by now then I believe this thread won't help you decide.
    Donald Trump by late May 2023 is the most popular of the candidates with large margin over the second who is

Ron DeSantis: Governor Ron DeSantis. Popular amidst the Republicans, very popular in the swing and important state of Florida. DeSantis has been involved in his own fair share of controversial decisions that some see as authoritarian while others applaud them as common sense made in law in a country that goes too woke.

Another big name is
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Scott: Black Senator from South Carolina. His conservative positions are only a bit more moderate than DeSantis but he is not as combative.

And a tried and tested candidate:
    Nikki Haley: Has been a governor so people should know what to expect. She has been both critical towards DTrump and then supportive.

My opinion:
    Trump: Practically led a coup in 2021 and did great damage to democratic norms and institutions by his attacks on the free press, free speech and appointing lackeys and yesmen here and there. You were with Trump or you were his enemy and he has no ability to compromise or forgive his "enemies". He easily turned on Commey, the FBI guy that made him president, has been indicted twice and is currently investigated for mismanaging campaign funds. He is an opportunist, a narcissist, he's loyal only to himself and simply using his party to bolster his ego, and he's too old. He backstabbed the Kurds because their grandfathers didn't fight in Normandy while he dodged the draft himself. He trusts the Russian intelligence more than his own intelligence agencies.
    He is also one of the greatest examples of "money doesn't buy class".
    He is not as bad as Bush2 was, and in the world stage he did better than others - the Middle East was at its most peaceful under Trump and when Trump said "Fire and Fury" to little Rocket man, Kim was worried (we all were) that he actually meant it. Trump is the kind of leader that understands autocrats. The problem is he admires them...

De Santis: Worse than Trump IMO. Do I like him? Well, he DOES fight the culture wars more successfully than Trump. BUT.
    He's a more effective authoritarian, that has led to book burnings, book bannings, great government overreach unheard of in the past 50 years AND he supports Trump-like attacks on the Free press and didn't speak against the coup attempt of 2021. Unlike Trump, DeSantis is a bona-fide hardcore conservative and Far Right, he doesn't just pander to them. He's also in his forties, which means he's going to be around for a long time.

Tim Scott: A hardcore conservative that is not a wannabe-dictator. I disagree with many (most) of his positions, but he seems to be able to have a discussion with those that disagree with him instead of trying to bully them to silence through his brownshirts and lackeys. He is also not trying to approach his candidacy with the "doom and gloom" of the other two nor is as combative.
    From what I have seen in 2015 Republican primaries and now, so far Tim Scott is a normal conservative politician.
    Which means that many democrats can tolerate him more than the other two but makes him unlikely to win in the Republican party that is dominated by the loud and fringe 20% of hardcore Republicans that want a punching ring and not discussions.

Haley: I disagree with more of her policies than with Scott although she is less conservative. Her record of criticizing Trump and then bending to kiss the ring reeks of hypocrisy, but again, let's temper our expectations here. At least she didn't support Trump's election lies although she did say in April 2021 that she will support him for the presidency... till she announced her own.

Thread locked, to discuss the primaries, visit this thread.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 20, 2024 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Notification added.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: The Republican candidates

I really do not know how the Republican party is going to reconcile the Trump/Desantis problem. Conservatives can bury their heads in the sand, but Trump is obviously not happy with Desantis running and he still wields a big part of the GOP. So...what happens? Who does the Republican party go with? If the GOP wants to go with Desantis, I don't see Trump conceding his run.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Trump is not going to go down. He's a petty man. If he's not the nominee, he will make a 3rd party to drug the Republican party down with him and then claim he could have easily won and it's all the fault of the RINOS.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Trump is not going to go down. He's a petty man. If he's not the nominee, he will make a 3rd party to drug the Republican party down with him and then claim he could have easily won and it's all the fault of the RINOS.
    Seems like a spread of candidates with a few differences, so the system is working. AFAIK the RNC is still an actual vote so if could get wild on the floor when the primaries happen.

If there is a secret cabal determined to pick a winner they need to clear potential vote splitters away.

De Santis is a career politician, unlike Trump he will probably follow up a win with predictable business as usual incumbocraticanism instead of the wild ride Trump gave us. There'll still be the same shrieking (whoever wins) of course.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Above are being foolish. Unless Trump dies the nomination is his period. Sorry Cyclopes Desantis maybe a career position but he is a poor one and would not hold his fief in FLA but for massive Republican Gerrymandering.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Surprised Nikki Haley wasn't mentioned in the OP as a candidate but then again her chances are securing the nomination are even worse than Scott, DeSantis, or that bio-tech CEO that's running.

Ohhh... Haley. Well, I could add her, I guess. She is also a not-too-bad candidate. Better than the big two, worse than Scott, IMO.
    Last edited by alhoon; May 27, 2023 at 05:34 AM.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

She hasn't got a chance. Scott even less so.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    She hasn't got a chance. Scott even less so.
    Yeah, probably so. Still, worth discussing about.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Above are being foolish. Unless Trump dies the nomination is his period. Sorry Cyclopes Desantis maybe a career position but he is a poor one and would not hold his fief in FLA but for massive Republican Gerrymandering.
    I don't know about that. The GOP itself despises Trump, blaming him for many of their recent defeats, from my understanding. They don't want him; he is literally the guy who lost to the incumbent he'd be running against again. Now, as Alhoon said, Trump doesn't care about what the GOP wants or what is good for them. He is only out for himself. It's more of a question on if the GOP will kowtow to him or put their faith in Desantis.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    I really do not know how the Republican party is going to reconcile the Trump/Desantis problem. Conservatives can bury their heads in the sand, but Trump is obviously not happy with Desantis running and he still wields a big part of the GOP. So...what happens? Who does the Republican party go with? If the GOP wants to go with Desantis, I don't see Trump conceding his run.
    As he is a malignant narcissist, Trump's behavior is very predictable. He will obsessively attack Desantis, accuse him of horrible things with no evidence whatsoever, and enlist his cult and sycophants to echo his attacks. When Trump gets the nomination (and it is very likely he will), he will not let up, declaring his intent to see Desantis locked up and doing everything he can think of to ruin Desantis' life for daring to get in the way of manbaby's immediate wants. If he gets into the white house (God forbid) he will put the nation's law enforcement organizations to work on his behalf and use them to go after Desantis to find anything to charge him with; as he tried to do with Obama, Biden, Clinton, and everyone else who has ever wounded his fragile ego.

Think I'm exaggerating? List off in your head all of the people Trump loves. Now list all of the people Trump hates with the burning fury of a billion suns. One of these lists is far, far larger than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    As he is a malignant narcissist, Trump's behavior is very predictable. He will obsessively attack Desantis, accuse him of horrible things with no evidence whatsoever, and enlist his cult and sycophants to echo his attacks. When Trump gets the nomination (and it is very likely he will), he will not let up, declaring his intent to see Desantis locked up and doing everything he can think of to ruin Desantis' life for daring to get in the way of manbaby's immediate wants. If he gets into the white house (God forbid) he will put the nation's law enforcement organizations to work on his behalf and use them to go after Desantis to find anything to charge him with; as he tried to do with Obama, Biden, Clinton, and everyone else who has ever wounded his fragile ego.

Think I'm exaggerating? List off in your head all of the people Trump loves. Now list all of the people Trump hates with the burning fury of a billion suns. One of these lists is far, far larger than the other.
    Yes, I think you're exaggerating. He has said Carson should have been killed and called the people of Iowa stupid for supporting him, and then he went to enlist him. He turned on Graham early on, only to tuck him in nicely after he was elected.
    Trump's memory is often short.

However, I am not sure if DeSantis will kiss the ring if he's defeated. If he does, all will be forgiven and you will see DeSantis as secretary of education in a Trump administration. If he does not, he will become the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    I don't know about that. The GOP itself despises Trump, blaming him for many of their recent defeats, from my understanding. They don't want him; he is literally the guy who lost to the incumbent he'd be running against again. Now, as Alhoon said, Trump doesn't care about what the GOP wants or what is good for them. He is only out for himself. It's more of a question on if the GOP will kowtow to him or put their faith in Desantis.
    Of few of its elites who go on TV might might the base does not and he delivered a conservative SCOTUS majority. He might have lost but somebody has too. ANd in any case he turned out a a ton of votes. Besides Last I checked Trump is not making the republicans impose effective abortions bans, unpopular trans and anti LGBT laws, book bans try to but the ten commandments in public schools or offer up just thoughts and prayers in the face of AR-15 gun violence.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Trump is playing it cool right now and has shown no inclinations to run again in 2024. This may be an act on his part, or perhaps he is fed up with his experiences of being president and then what happened to him afterwards. Being president is just not profitable for him. Consider that he will run in 2024 anyway in order to get the GOP nomination. In which the GOP elite don't really like him, but which the GOP voting base does support him overwhelmingly.

Okay that being said the perfect GOP candidate now and in future elections is DeSantis. Why?
    -He is a fairly safe candidate, not a loud mouth like Trump.
    -His current actions have put him in the lime light.
    -He allegedly has done wonders as governor of Florida.
    -He is a good boy who will tow the party line.
    -Despite actually being more anti-Liberal than Trump he doesn't have the same stigma associated with him.
    -He isn't senile Biden who forgets what he is saying mid-sentence or falls over.
    -Biden term has been fairly controversial especially in the rural Mid-West and among GOP supporters in general.

Why DeSantis might not be a good candidate:
    -He lacks the charisma and crass appeal that Trump does.
    -DeSantis is viewed as a very milk toast and bougie individual. Again, unlike Trump who despite being a millionaire has lots of energy, angry energy at that, but talks and acts like a New York construction worker.
    -He is a good boy who will tow the party line.
    -Who the hell is excited for DeSantis as President? I haven't met one person.
    -Among really hard core conservatives he is appealing but most of the GOP voting base isn't even that hard core conservative, they would rather have a much more liberal far less Christian or truly conservative platform like Trumpism, unlike how Trumpists are usually perceived, or any GOP voter younger than like 60.

Either way it doesn't matter because the GOP institution itself clearly wants to run DeSantis. Can he defeat Biden though? Right now it seems like a pet rock could defeat Biden. Still it isn't just Biden that matters, but the Democratic party as a whole. A lot of people that would vote for Biden are actually voting against the GOP for no reason other than political ideology. The Democrats tend to have a lead when it comes to voting anyway for various reasons, not least of which is just sheer numbers. Trump might come back last minute, run for the nomination, get overwhelming support, and force the GOP to give him the nomination anyway.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; June 02, 2023 at 09:52 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Some thoughts of mine (I am Greek, not American):

I find it depressing, but also VERY scary that the two candidates that have so far a realistic path to victory are:
    1. an old authoritarian, alt-right bordering on far-right, whose followers tried to violently overturn the election results because they didn't like them.
    2. some that runs to the right of said authoritarian! DeSantis is not bordering to the far right, he is far right. And not the Libertarian, small-government kind of far-right, but closer to the "originals" of 1920s. I mean, come on... there are still people alive (in their 90s) that have memories of such personas from the previous century and have seen where such things lead.

Honestly, between DeSantis and Trump... I believe Trump is the less dangerous one.
    Last edited by alhoon; June 03, 2023 at 06:42 AM.

Right now it seems like a pet rock could defeat Biden.
    Why?

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65813361
    Former US Vice-President Mike Pence has officially filed paperwork to join an increasingly crowded field of Republicans running for president.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post

Well as a Democratic nice to see some republican donor money wasted - but Trump is going to be the nominee. I don't care if the special counsel charges him or Georgia or whatever other legal case is hanging over his head.
    Last edited by conon394; June 05, 2023 at 02:20 PM.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I am quite ignorant about US politics (as I repeatedly demonstrate), why is Pence laughable?

Experienced state level governor, term in the White house, knowledge of the constitution and the courage to stand up for it against a raid by MAGA shaman & co.

Isn't he at least on paper a good candidate?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I am quite ignorant about US politics (as I repeatedly demonstrate), why is Pence laughable?

Experienced state level governor, term in the White house, knowledge of the constitution and the courage to stand up for it against a raid by MAGA shaman & co.

Isn't he at least on paper a good candidate?
    Ha wow no just no.

First again first stop is the nomination is Trump's to loose. Second Pence has all the charisma of paint drying. If you want some non Trump person pick white boot high heel boy De Santis at least. Plus Pence thwarted the Trump lie on the election he is anamathe to the MAGA base. But he is also a weird Evangelicals Christian who likely happy supports abortion bans and anti trans polices so he not going to be attracting any of the mythical center undecided voters the NYT insistests exist someplace.

I put my marker down now Cyclops and we can trade email via PM to make good. But I am willing to bet a six pack of whatever you drink that the election is already determined it is Biden vs Trump - unless one of them drops dead - even if Trump has to run from prison.
    Last edited by conon394; June 05, 2023 at 08:47 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast