Thread: Paralyzed man walks after bluetooth connects his brain and spine

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Paralyzed man walks after bluetooth connects his brain and spine

I have 0 experience in the matter, but the news in itself it's shocking... it's not only about paralyzed people in general, but also about all the other possibilities it implies (controlling stuff with our brain in remote )

Does anyone here have any better insight on the matter?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Paralyzed man walks after bluetooth connects his brain and spine

There are ethical considerations about this. It is awesome for paralyzed people or people that due to age start facing mobility problems. It has however the dystopian option of someone else remote-controlling "linked" people's bodies against their will. See all the crap done to the rental cars that can be suddenly deactivated under you etc. I.e. companies have already abused such systems installed in cars (supposedly so they can't be stolen).
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

This technology has been in development for a long time.

From 2008:

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    This technology has been in development for a long time.

From 2008:

It's still a complete shocker to me, I mean I had no idea they could actually connect the nervous system to an electronic device such as the Bluetooth

As I said I'm no expert at all, but to me it really looks as science fiction.

@ alhoon, I agree, the moral implications can be huge.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    It's still a complete shocker to me, I mean I had no idea they could actually connect the nervous system to an electronic device such as the Bluetooth

As I said I'm no expert at all, but to me it really looks as science fiction.

@ alhoon, I agree, the moral implications can be huge.
    As far as I know this is yet another part of the AI revolution. It isn't just, or even primarily, about making the connection. It's about the use of AI to 'learn' how to use that connection. I don't know the specifics either, but I suspect the subject needs to think about doing something and then there has to be some positive feedback when the limb responds as desired. If so, that training process will be highly individual, and trained models are for all intents and purposes black boxes. So I don't really see one person controlling the actions of another through this technique.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    As far as I know this is yet another part of the AI revolution. It isn't just, or even primarily, about making the connection. It's about the use of AI to 'learn' how to use that connection. I don't know the specifics either, but I suspect the subject needs to think about doing something and then there has to be some positive feedback when the limb responds as desired. If so, that training process will be highly individual, and trained models are for all intents and purposes black boxes. So I don't really see one person controlling the actions of another through this technique.
    I see, but what I don't really get is how they have physically connected his brain with an electronic device, how is that even possible with modern technology and the relatively limited knowledge we have of the brain?

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

In fact, the threat of a new Frankenstein remotely controlled against his will via a digital implant, is not the first thing that comes to mind.
    --
    What is extremely encouraging, is the fact that this digital bridge seems to establish a framework to restore natural movement control after paralysis: a path, in some patients, towards a slow neurorehabilitation. Walking naturally after spinal cord injury using a brain–spine Nature

Le'ts say, as Armstrong has put it, that's one small step for man...
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty