Thread: Lougiones campaign experience ver. 2.35R2

Default Lougiones campaign experience ver. 2.35R2

Faction : Lougiones
    Difficulty : Hard (Campaign)
    Medium (Battle)
    Turns : 1-30
    Cheat :
    Auto victory for taking Kalisia because that's the only battle i will always repeat each time i start a new camapaign and i don't want to repeat the same battle i knew i have already won.

So Lougiones. I've been ignoring this faction for a long time but finally decide to give a shot. It's actually a pretty fun start, you start with full army with a workable economy and a lightly guarded settlement you could conquer immidiately in the next turn. I won that handily and quickly attack Scurtum in the north with intention to attack Sweboz however the high casualties inflicted after taking it forced me to recruit more man for reinforcement.

That's when the nigh-impossible start to seeps in. Kalisia is raided by 2 wandering rebel while the third rebel besiege Kalisia. This forced me to focused my attention on them first while still try to recuperate my losses.

Then Sweboz attack Scurtum where half of my army reside with no chance of winning and i restart.

The second attempt manage to anticipate the rebel that try to besiege Kalisia however the rebel the two wandering rebel is on the edge of the Kalisia province which i failed to detect them quick enough before Sweboz show up with my capital empty of garrison. Again i restart this time for a third attempts, let's see how it goes this time.

Edit : Celtic Nobility just require you have settlement above village level. So any settlement with 800 population or more can build them
    Last edited by eyelurker; May 26, 2023 at 03:02 PM.

Default Re: Lougiones campaign experience ver. 2.35R2

My third attempt. Finally the gameplay could start. After wiping out the roaming rebel in Kalisia and raid Luppae to fill my coffer i could turn my attention to Sweboz which decide to take Luppae. While my general now raid Scurgum since their army reckless failed to raid me and are now vunerable i decide to take my army to invade Luppae before attacking Leufana.

I face Sweboz three times. Sweboz armies are spread out and rather thinned out, presumbaly from attacking Luppae. Their total armies is still about equal to mine though and they have the dreaded Germanix Bodyguard. They seems to get nerved though that while their morale is still high, loss of General and flanked by cavalry charge can break them. I lost half of my army in the expedition but the invasion is successful and Luppae and Leufana are mine.

Administration prove relatively simple as both can buil Celtic Nobility and give access to Germanic levies. In addition my income are now large enough to sustain 1 army and i grown rich enough that i Allied Sauromatae for 10000 gold and start recruiting elite Gallic warrior and Lugian heavy spearman.

Since my Lougiones campaign could start right away here's an overview of their overall armies.

Lugian youth and Celtic slinger :
    Meatshield that take the brunt of Infantry charge(As the region is pretty dried in cavalry) however their missle, especially the slingers are very useful in killing the Elite infantry due to their lack of armour.

Gallic light swordman :
    You start with 3 of them in the campaign, a good nfantry for the duration of starting campaign but the limited availibility means they would likely disbanded soon since half of them have died to be replaced with a much better Celtic Retainer and Celtic eastern swordsman.

Lugian Heavy Spearman :
    The decisive unit of the camapign. Their stats stronger than what most enemies could muster but their other strength, unlike most elites they have a high availability as a mercenary. You start campaign with 2, i buy the mercenary 1 which i used later to replenish depleted ranks since mercenary benefit from their own recharge. Now i'm planning to buy 3 more such mercenary so my stack would have 6 of them

Celtic light cavalry:
    Due to their light gear they are not used for combat much but when they do their role are decisive, wheter for flabking to rout a stubborn units or ot clean up enemy routing units.

Lugian light spearman:
    Not the most impressive of unit but you start with 5 of them and you could recruit more in your capital(somewhat limitedly) Used as reserve to plug the gap in line and attacking flanking enemies. Peform better than their stats suggested but like Gallic light swordsman i also lost half of them.
    Last edited by eyelurker; May 26, 2023 at 06:24 AM.

Good luck

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You probably already know this, but the forests in that first province you took is packed with hidden rebels

Turns 57 for now.

It turns out Celtic nobility can be build anywhere(at least in Germanic and Baltic. This may changes as i conquer more territories) as long as it's above village-level settlement which is why Scurtum and Waldawa cannot build Celtic nobility initially since their population are too small. For whatever reason i cannot upgrade from Protectorate into Celtic Nobility so you shouldn't upgrade Militray occupation once you conquered them and instead wait until their settlement have been upgraded to immidiately turn them into Celtic nobility(I cheat to recover money loss and auto build military occupation because i feel bamboozled haha)

Turns out imposing order among dense forest territories with no road is no easy task. 2 large tribes(Eleutheroi) arose in Leufana and besiege it but thankfully lack the manpower and unity to actually take it so they just besiege in one turn before leaving and resiege it again later. Another one smallet tribes arose near the border of Tyragetae and begin march to Kalisia but they are too far away from the settlement so they are content to just raid. Because i only have one if powerful army the respond against the eleutheroi have been slow although my army just reach Leufana and after defeating their 2 armies in the future turns my army have to march into Kalisia
    Last edited by eyelurker; May 26, 2023 at 03:18 PM.

Turns 91.

Okay so far east in near Sauromate border the Gallwagardas and Jukelitna despite high pastoral tribalism cannot build Celtic Nobility but you can build Tributary nation. I also start conquering Boii, they still only hold 2 territories despite having 3 stack armies but their capital i have conquered leaving only Alkimoenois. It seems naturally you could build Celtic nobility in Celtic region if Streuinta is any indication. Looks like Celtic Nobility would spread across central Europe.

Internal affair have been good. Few rebel army spawned amd those that did are close to my newly formed army(i have around 80 stack of armies now spread out across my territorirs) and my income have been healthy with 7000/turn. My pastoral converted into town settlement give 2000-2500 thabks to farm income. My nomad settlement give 1500-2000 dependant from how big they are and if i use horse or livestock herds. And my recently conquered settlemnt without pastoral which i have 2 gives 1200 and 2200 respectively but they are still process in being built with Celtic Nobility.

My border is concerning though. From the remote region Gallwagardas border with Bosporus from Tyragetae and Schytian. I'm allied with Sauromatae so after dealing with Boii i might have to prepare my army to preemptively attack Bosposrus first.

I fight some battles so i have a new unit overview.

Germanic/Pomerania levy spearman :
    Like Lugian light spearman they perform more than their stats would suggest. But like Lugian light spearman i tends to lose half of them each serious fight.

Celtic slinger/Germanic archer/slinger :
    I have given overview of them already but i cannot overstate just how important they are as your unit. And how dangerous they are as an enemy. They could melt enemy units if given a chance to shoot their ammunition, even Gallic retainer an armored unit still take heavy casualties against a simple sling and bow.

Gallic Retainer:
    Their performance suprisignly not that much diffrent than Lugian heavy spearman despite having chainmail. Nevertheless they are still an elite unit that can cut swath of enemies in melee with little casualties. Just don't let them get hit by missle.

Lugian medium cavalry:
    Edit : Wow nevermind this cavalry suck. They are completely annihalted against celtic light cavalry even when i charge and flank them. They only have their charge going for them and probably morale but the rest of their stats stinks compare to celtic cavalry.

Gallic Noble Cavalry:
    Newest addition of Lougiones army in 250bc. They are twice as expensive and need 24 turn/Celtic nobilty construction that has yet to being built are finished to refresh their manpower. But this cavalry have similiar charge with Lugian medium cavalry but with an actual melee stats and most importantly armor. That said i cannot judge yet how useful they are in my roster. I need to actually recruit and use them first. Edit : Considering how useless my Lugian medium cavalry turns out to be i might switch to entirely celtic cavlry.

Germanic club infantry(haven't try the Baltic version):
    Weaker cannon fodder/reserve than the spear unit. They are chepaer but their perfomance also matched their price tags, as in not much. Still for a unit with 75 upkeep and 200 men they could hold the line well. Just don't expect them to win battle unless you use them for flanking to rout enemy morale. Useful for garrison and meat shield along with skirmisher for actual line infantry.

Frisian skirmisher:
    Thureophori for the Barbarian flashback. They are a skirmisher with a slightly better stats comparable to Germanic/Lugian/Pomeranian spearman. Their melee perfomance is about on par with the levy spearman i mention above with an ability to skirmish. As i mostly used my skirmisher to soak up damage from enemy first charge and ranged attack i'm as confused as Greek general with Thuerophoroi on what to do with them. So far i try use them as the skirmisher/infantry hybrid as their classification goes.

Eastern Celt Swordsman/Germanic Veteran Spearman:
    Overpriced and too limited avaibality to make use of them. Despite their stats being better than levy spearman they are just as likely to lost half of their man in the fight but unlike levy spearman they cannot replace their losses.

Lugian light cavalry, Scandivaian Spearman and Slavic Spearman :
    Unit that i have yet to use them. Lugian light cavalry looks too weak and overpriced. Scandivian can only be recruit in one region with only max:1. Slavic Spearman looks competent and stronger than most of my levies with good manpower avaibility despite only can be recruited in Gallwagardas but i have yet to recruit them.
    Last edited by eyelurker; May 27, 2023 at 04:31 PM.

Turns : 138
    Cheat : Somehow a roaming Eleutheroi dedcide to bypass my heavily garrison settlement and i'm forced to ambush this army with my heavily outnumbered reinforcement army that unfortunately come along with my very good heir and a very good administrator. So i call bull and cheat victory. I also autoresolve cheat victory against spawning rebel whenever i outnumber the enemy 2 to 1 because losing 800 mens because the enemy general have 4 stars and your unit is levies is annoying.

Not a whole lot happening. I delay my invasion to Klepidava(Tyragetae) to consolidate my East Celt territories. Nemetokena and Kambodunon is mine while Tarodunon and Diuoduron would fall the next turns once i continued. I also allied with Aedui and maybe Aruernoi too to secure the eastern border.

My settlement is starting to become stone wall city with Leufana being the first and Lugidonon and Luppae follows. Lugidunon is quite an awkward capital however because the road only connects to Kalisia which is a nomad regiob that cannot build roads. Considering Lougiones is still an offshoot of Celtic-Boii culture if my Boii Retainer and Noble cavalry prominient in all my army is any indication i may change the capital to either Luppae, Alkimoenos or Streuinta.

Turns: 171
    Cheat : Auto-building lv2 mines in Kabyle. Cannot build lv2 mines with client state goverment and i decide might as well waste more of my overflow money since Makedon certainly don't bother build the rich mines.

East Celt have been consolidated except Diudoron since it's conquered by my allies, Aedui. My army proceed to conquer Asanka and attack Bosporan in Klepidava but they sue for peace in exchange for Klepidava which i accept. I also move my capital to Streuinta

Then i attack Getai, they only holds 3 territory of Kapidava, Histrie and Zermizegutsa. Only the last one remain standing. There is also Makedon but realizing that they could become a problem and i need a buffer from Greek politic, i allied Makedon by paying them 10000 and pay them 15000 for Zikideva and Kabyle. Zikideva, Kabyle and Histria are too far away from Lougiones sphere of influence to build Factional goverment(excpet Zikideva but Thracian is better than Celtic) so i set up client state for them.

I'm about to land the final blow against Zermizegusta who are only guarded with half stack. So i left my half damaged stack and march with just half my army. This turns out to be mistake as suddenly another stack show up with similiar size in garrison but combine they outnumbered me especially in my always lacking cavalry. And thus Getai land the first defeat of Lougiones army in Zermizegusta.

It seems it just delay the inetavable though. Half of my army still alive in Kapidava. And i have another army ready to take out Getai in a few turns
    Last edited by eyelurker; May 30, 2023 at 03:24 PM.

Turns 190

The overview would come tommorow because i only have one thing to say.

Bosporan annex almost all of my ally, Sauromatae.

Ahhhhhhhhhh

Turns 201

Conquer a lot of settlement here. Gorsissa, Singidunon, Segestika, Nesactium and Dardanion fall to my army while i bought off the isolated Delminion from Macedon. Macedon is having problem keeping my border away from Epirus so i decide to help Macedon first by securing Epirus. For now Bosporan is still too busy with Sauromatae despite Suaromate being reduced to a few settlement.

Unfortunately at 222BC i have finally gotten too bored to continue my campaign. I still want to play Lougiones but for this run i think i have make many minor mistake and cheat too many times to make me realize that i'm tired of the campaign.

I would probably make a new thread of Lougiones overview, which settlement is Lougiones sphere of influence(factional building) what kind if unit they use, and unique traits.

But for now i will conclude the campaign before i could get Prezworsk stabilization.