Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Total War: PHARAOH - confirmed! - general discussion

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; May 23, 2023 at 02:10 PM.

Default Re: Total War: PHARAOH - confirmed! (trailer, FAQ and screens)

DELETED
    Last edited by Aruberikku; July 31, 2023 at 05:27 AM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Is that Saga or full historical?

And I see soldiers in the high hundreds. What era is this? Bronze era covers a laaaaarge span.
    Last edited by alhoon; May 23, 2023 at 01:55 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Full historical. XVI-XI cent. BC.

This looks amazing so far, I also love the ideas of dynamic weather and fire. I'd preorder this but I know that most TW games were atrocious at launch so I'll wait for them to fix it and for reviews.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Is that Saga or full historical?

And I see soldiers in the high hundreds. What era is this? Bronze era covers a laaaaarge span.
    In the era of the New Empire at the time of the Bronze Age Collapse, 1250 BC i would guess.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

The sword duel shows that it wont be historical. They fight like 3000 years later.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Every historical title has anachronisms. The question is how this informs the gameplay style. The pre-order bonus mentions bodyguard units and we've seen the return of Rome 2/Attila style ladders, so it's moving in the right direction at least.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

I also saw siege towers... In a game that is happening in 13th century BC, I find the idea of siege towers very peculiar. How did they even built siege towers? Not to mention that Troy was the only city of that time with serious walls.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Cyclopian walls of Mykenai of that time? Also Memphis which means White Wall. They had Walls also the hethitians. Archaeologists have found the remnants.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Cyclopian walls of Mykenai of that time? Also Memphis which means White Wall. They had Walls also the hethitians. Archaeologists have found the remnants.
    Yeah, those Cyclopean walls that inspired countless generations of Greeks from 1600 BC to the start of the classical era... are inspiring pieces of architecture but they are like 3m tall. Sure, they are composed by stones that would have taken great ingenuity to lift. BUT... a man can easily climb them. They like 3m tall with huge handholds, and there were no battlements on the other side, no guys to stop you from simply climbing. And if you fall? You may sprain an ankle and that's it.
    Those cyclopean fortifications are impressive for their era but they are not going to stop someone from going over the wall. Nor they did. The Dorean Greeks trashed them without issue.

Doesn't change the fact that the hethitian and egyptian cities and the cities of the fertile crescent had walls.

Hattusa:

Siege towers:

Siege Warfare in Ancient Egypt (touregypt.net)

So not incorrect in the time frame of the game.

And further: all four possible leader for the Egypt are historical (Ramesses, Seti, Tausret, Amenmesse):

Amenmesse (1203-1199 BC)

Amenmesse - Wikipedia

Seti = Sethos II (1203-1197 BC)

Seti II - Wikipedia

Tausret (1198-1188 BC), female pharaoh

Twosret - Wikipedia

Ramesses = RamessesIII or Ramses III (geb. 1221 BC,1188 - 1156 BC)

Ramesses III - Wikipedia

The timeframe of the game is around 1200 BC then.

And as the rulers changed in a short time politics / pleasing the court is playing an important role then.

Now it has sparked my interest.

New Kingdom Egypt was significantly more organized and better developed than the Myceneans, so their walls being significantly better isn't surprising. Their monument building was testament to their construction capabilities. Walled cities were common throughout the near east during the Bronze Age and the scale of warfare meant that people were constantly finding ways to attack them.

The fortress at Buhen (which is remarkably well preserved) featured rock walls 10m high, along with a host of other more sophisticated defensive measure such as drawbridges, battlements, and bastions, and it was built during the 12th dynasty, in the 19th century BC.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Difficult to put into words how disappointing this is, does CA not listen to fans at all?? More boring ass Bronze Age combat with sticks and clubs. I was very hopeful we might see a Medieval or a new Empire\musket game, I guess this series is truly dead after all.

Maybe I'll try it 2 years from now at 75% off when I'm bored...

I can only hope this is a smaller saga type title, but a lot of people are saying this is the new mainline title...all that wait for nothing, can you say anticlimactic...

Hattusa is the ancient city in the scale of Troy most of you likely never heard of.

The Armenian Issue

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Rob003 View Post
    Difficult to put into words how disappointing this is, does CA not listen to fans at all?? More boring ass Bronze Age combat with sticks and clubs. I was very hopeful we might see a Medieval or a new Empire\musket game, I guess this series is truly dead after all.

Maybe I'll try it 2 years from now at 75% off when I'm bored...

I can only hope this is a smaller saga type title, but a lot of people are saying this is the new mainline title...all that wait for nothing, can you say anticlimactic...
    Exactly! +rep. I won't even buy in 2 years! Last TW game I purchased was TOB, everything else is garbage. So underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Not to mention that Troy was the only city of that time with serious walls.
    This is not at all true. By the end of the Early Bronze Age in the Levant for example, cities typically had walls that were 8 to 10 meters thick. Walls built around Levantine cities in the Middle Bronze weren’t as thick, often only 2 to 4 meters. However, it was in this period that casemate walls started to appear. These were constructed of a series of squares or rectangles with walls that were 2 to 4 meters thick that were filled with earth, so that using less stone they effectively formed walls that were 10 meters thick or more. Starting in the Iron Age, the casemates that formed the walls were built with entrances on the inner side, so that they could be used as storerooms during peacetime and filled with earth during a siege.

During the Late Bronze Age, when this game is set, very few new city walls were built, probably due to population decline, but most cities still had their Middle Bronze Age walls. Jerusalem during this period was a highland city-state vassal of Egypt that was off of the main trade routes, and yet it retained its Middle Bronze fortifications that were so massive that nothing was built in the region on a scale that rivaled them until the monumental building projects of Herod I during the early Roman period.

So far, I’ve only been mentioning the thickness of the walls. This is because only the first few meters of the height above ground was made of stone, above that, the rest the height was made of mudbrick. Here is a pic of tourists walking through the gate at Megiddo, in which you can see the height of stone foundation:

These fortifications were built in the Iron Age, but are of similar proportions to typical Middle Bronze Age city walls. Although, they are actually not as thick as Megiddo’s Bronze Age walls were. Based on the surviving mudbrick detritus from other sites, the total above ground height could have been three times the height of the stone by itself. In Egypt, Ramesses III ordered mudbrick walls more than 15 meters high to be built around several cities.

Most of the stone from Egyptian walls has long since been reused for other projects, but these Middle Kingdom fortifications give some sense of what they were like:

Also note the 22 meter high gate at Medinet Habu built during the New Kingdom period:

EDIT: Regarding siege towers, this is from Middle Bronze Age Harput in Upper Mesopotamia (modern southeastern Turkey):

Image source

The people and the fortifications/siege tower are obviously not depicted to scale.
    Last edited by sumskilz; May 26, 2023 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast