Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess where?

Default Guess where?

GENERAL RULES

- One person posts a picture/question/riddle with any details the poster feels are necessary.
    - Everyone else tries to guess the picture/question posted or solve the riddle, whilst providing some details about their guess.
    - The person who guessed correctly then posts their own picture/question/riddle within 24 hours.
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, that the person who guessed correctly gets reputation from the original poster of the picture/question/riddle (or from another player/Gaming Staff if the OP cannot).
    - It is customary, though not an obligation, to post a hint every 24 hours if no one tried to guess it or in any case did not guess it right.
    - Anybody can take the turn if a picture/question/riddle isn't posted within 24 hours or if the person who guessed the last picture/question/riddle says that anybody can take his turn.
    - While no correct answer has been given, the member who posted a puzzle can pass their turn at any time. If after 2 weeks no answer has been confirmed as correct by the poster, any member can override the active puzzle by posting a new one. The staff/administration of TWC will at this point judge the validity of any outstanding answers to the superseded puzzle.
    - People are supposed to play fairly and to respect the other players and to do their best to ensure that the game keeps flowing. Blatant cheating, lack of respect, lack of input and so on and on might lead to the disqualification of the offending player for that round, this at the exclusive discretion of other players and/or Gaming Staff

- Flinn

Default Re: Guess where?

Previous thread.

Stickied.

Previous thread exceeded 10k posts and had to be retired.

Muizer's current picture up for the guess can be found here.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; May 23, 2023 at 09:05 AM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Reposting the pics here: 2 sides of the same mountain

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Mont Ross, Kerguelen Islands?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Mont Ross, Kerguelen Islands?
    Is the correct answer.

I have this nagging feeling this name has come up before in the Guess Where competition.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Is the correct answer.

I have this nagging feeling this name has come up before in the Guess Where competition.
    I don't know about that, I managed to find it thanks to the penguins in the second image.

We'll stay in the mountains for a while. Disclaimer: Not my dog. I stole this image from...somewhere

Looks super German/Austrian. Other than that, no idea for now.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Looks super German/Austrian. Other than that, no idea for now.
    Miss.

The only clue that could narrow this down would have to be the cross, more particularly that symbol at the center of it, but I don't know what it signifies. In Southern Europe crosses on mountain tops are quite common, but this one's small, not particularly high up, and in woodland. It would not be visible from very far.

Other than that, I've seen felling areas in Sweden that tend to look quite like this with saplings and dead trees left standing and the ground covered with pine needles left by the cut down trees, but you can probably find the same scenes, including the snow, all the way down to the Mediterranean if you go up the mountains.

So, that's a dead end as far as I'm concerned. Not enough to go on.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I might be wrong, but I think it's a dead woods? maybe this has to do with the location's name...
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Well, crosses on peaks are common in German/Austrian places too, and as far as I can tell, the symbol in the middle is an Edelweiß. Hence why I thought of Germany or Austria. It could be somewhere in Südtirol though, the Bolzano area of Northern Italy that has a very large German/Austrian population and shares a lot of their customs and stuff.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    the symbol in the middle is an Edelweiß.
    Think you're right about that. Doesn't look like it's on a particularly high point though. I mean it's evidently not above the tree line. Maybe the photographer is standing with his back to a cliff edge or something.

@Flinn: probably a production forest. Foresters just didn't bother chopping down the dead ones.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

@Flinn: probably a production forest. Foresters just didn't bother chopping down the dead ones.
    Could be, especially if it's in the Alps
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I've realized that I've led you a bit astray with a hint, as I found out the point is actually on the very border of two countries, one of which you already identified. Mea culpa...

Other than that, it is indeed right below the treeline, but it's not a production forest.

If I may ask for a narrowing, is it in Austria or Germany then?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Austria.

So it's the summit cross at Ploeckenstein on the Czech-Austrian border. The trees died because of a beetle infestation.

So it's the summit cross at Ploeckenstein on the Czech-Austrian border. The trees died because of a beetle infestation.
    Correct. The proper Czech name is Plechı.

The Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque in the Sultanate of Brunei.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast