Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tsardoms Total War - Roman Empire XVth Century Revamp

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - Roman Empire XVth Century Revamp

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Athanasios View Post
    Hello there! Big fan of Roman history and of this amazing mod here!
    So, having played your mod and reading the discussion here, I would like to share some ideas.
    First, the new models look amazing, please keep them in the files of the new version even if you will not use them eventually.
    Second, I like the idea of a what if scenario for the Romans, and there is also a way to make it more legitimate from a historical perspective.
    Historically, the late empire faced the great dilemma of uniting the churches, with many emperors actually formalizing the union, only to face fierce resistance back home.
    So what if you could make a script for uniting the churches (embracing catholicism), which will allow the Romans' roster ro become fully westernized (you can just add Roman textures to existing western units, gunmen, banner carriers, horses and shields), while ofc triggering unrest and maybe some rebel armies?
    On the other hand of the script, they can keep being Orthodox and keep the same units, with the lower tiers having oriental elements and the more elite using imported plate armour, just like you already did.
    Lastly, although I am a huge byzantine history nerd as a Greek, I really support the not so history-friendly idea of adding native pikemen to the roster (and even gunners and halberdiers if you make the churchunification script), in order to help the Romans rebuild their empire. I could even help you with the unit text files and the greek names.
    Lastly, hiring more Venetians and Genoese is not a good option from a historical viewpoint, as these city states fought mostly for their own interests, or didn't fight at all (Genoese Galata for example remained neutral during the last siege of Constantinople). It would make more sense to force the Romans to try to the ottoman juggernaut of the late Era using their own strength.

Sorry for the long text, keep up the excellent job! Can't wait to play the new version!!!
    Thank you!

Yes, we actually did originally have a conversion script. The player had to take the Roman Emperor to Rome and stay there for a turn and then they would have the option to convert the Empire. But due to lack of manpower we never really got to finalise and I am not sure even if we still have it anywhere.

I agree it would be cool to do a nice conversion event but I am not sure if we have the ability to do that at the moment. We only have one coder in the team and he is quite busy. Perhaps in the future we could have something like that.

Thanks for the reply.

I hope you will also update the oikeioi and paramonai units too, as well as the officers, captains, generals and banner carriers of the Romans. An extra upgrade for the new pikemen and also the siphonatores would also look 🔥

I would also like to mention a small bug that I noticed with the Roman barrier carriers (infantry, general and tagmata). Their left leg looks buggy when they are mounted (perhaps some misalignment of the mesh file). Some tagmata flag bearers also lack a mace or sword (which looks funny actually as they are just punching enemies).

Keep up the excellent job guys!

P.s. I read that you mostly need help with text files. I think I can help you. How can someone make contact with you? Is there a discord or sth?
    Thanks again.

Default Re: Tsardoms Total War - 1448 Campaign Release

Magnificent work! I would suggest that those Menaulatoi should have same gear (armour+helmets) as the late Skoutatoi and spathatoi you shown in the pictures. Also the shield style of Menaulatoi seems a little alien compared to the shield style of other units in the Byzantine roster. I guess my point is that if this Menaulatoi is not an elite or guard units, I don't see why they should have a distinct armour+shield style from other units people tend to field in large numbers (like skoutatoi and spathatoi).

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Athanasios View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I hope you will also update the oikeioi and paramonai units too, as well as the officers, captains, generals and banner carriers of the Romans. An extra upgrade for the new pikemen and also the siphonatores would also look 🔥

I would also like to mention a small bug that I noticed with the Roman barrier carriers (infantry, general and tagmata). Their left leg looks buggy when they are mounted (perhaps some misalignment of the mesh file). Some tagmata flag bearers also lack a mace or sword (which looks funny actually as they are just punching enemies).

Keep up the excellent job guys!

P.s. I read that you mostly need help with text files. I think I can help you. How can someone make contact with you? Is there a discord or sth?
    Thanks again.
    Yes, there is a discord the link is https://discord.gg/a63UPQfuJC But we can just talk via private message. I will send you one.

Would love to get any sort of help with text editing and coding if you have the time and knowledge.

Yes we would like to do upgrades for most Roman units. But it depends on time and manpower of which we are very short.

The Pikemen won't get an upgrade because they already have late era equipment (except the shields).

Quote Originally Posted by Chen Qingjing View Post
    Magnificent work! I would suggest that those Menaulatoi should have same gear (armour+helmets) as the late Skoutatoi and spathatoi you shown in the pictures. Also the shield style of Menaulatoi seems a little alien compared to the shield style of other units in the Byzantine roster. I guess my point is that if this Menaulatoi is not an elite or guard units, I don't see why they should have a distinct armour+shield style from other units people tend to field in large numbers (like skoutatoi and spathatoi).
    Thank you! Well there are two reasons. One is that different people created the Manaulatoi and the new late units. Two is that we also want to have some variety and the units not looking too similar to each other. But their equipment is still very much byzantine with some Eastern influences thrown in for good measure.

I do agree about the shield though. It is a bit anachronistic and fits the XIVth century rather than the XVth century.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    We absolutely appreciate all the help and are super grateful for it. But I disagree that no help came to you, Matthaeus who was in the original Tsardoms team created several of the rosters in TGC.

But unfortunately we are a super small team, we have only active modder. So we are happy to share any and all of our materials which has been our policy from the start.

Yes, the idea of that unit was for it to have imported Western armour. Thank you for the suggestions, these units were made by Banskie who isn't in the Tsardoms team so we don't have as much leeway to make changes to them as they weren't created by us. But hopefully we can switch them around.
    hello Wallachian I just happened to read your comment about this open policy of sharing resources which happened to be helpful because coincidentally I was planning to ask you regardless at some point for some tips over how certain things in your mod were accomplished especially for the campaign map which is extremely polished and other stuff like custom events because I don't think there is any other mod out there that uses such well working custom events like yours. I was hoping to at some point if I have the time to make an attempt at modding my own small mod in an entirely different period setting and location but mostly wanted to ask about the methods used to create your campaign map since I wanted to make mine as polished and and detailed as yours. Is there perhaps a link you can provide on the tools you used?

Quote Originally Posted by oorestis View Post
    hello Wallachian I just happened to read your comment about this open policy of sharing resources which happened to be helpful because coincidentally I was planning to ask you regardless at some point for some tips over how certain things in your mod were accomplished especially for the campaign map which is extremely polished and other stuff like custom events because I don't think there is any other mod out there that uses such well working custom events like yours. I was hoping to at some point if I have the time to make an attempt at modding my own small mod in an entirely different period setting and location but mostly wanted to ask about the methods used to create your campaign map since I wanted to make mine as polished and and detailed as yours. Is there perhaps a link you can provide on the tools you used?
    The people that created the Tsardoms map are long gone unfortunately. The map was created many years ago.

But all the resources they used for the map can be found here https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...p?1016-Mapping

absolutely gorgeous units! when the next version of the mod with all these previews or some of them will be released?

Any intention to work on some of the old unit cards? I know it sounds minor but it really makes a great difference for the gameplay experience. EB II has the same issue and it seems realm56 has started to revamp some of them. Maybe you can asked if he can work on your unit cards as well.
    Do you guys have a discord server? Maybe you can asked this community to include you there https://discord.gg/vhgNpuYG
    Last edited by Kranos; June 23, 2023 at 10:35 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12