Thread: Melee cavalry units or missile cavalery units

Default Melee cavalry units or missile cavalery units

Do you prefer having melee cavalry units over missile cavalry units or the other way round? I'm finding out missile cavalry units ( as long as they aren't too weak ) are better to have specially in the case when your cavalry can outrun the enemy cavalry. They can serve either for killing enemy melee cavalry units with their javelins or for distracting the enemy cavalry or for applying the hit-and-run tactic safely against the enemy melee infantry units once you get rid of all the cavalry units. But I think it is better to save most of their ammo to use it later against the strongest enemy melee infantry units. If I attack the enemy archers or slingers I would just set my skirmish cavalry units in melee mode.

Default Re: Melee cavalry units or missile cavalery units

I mean....it honestly depends on the situation, but as a general rule, ranged cavalry beats out melee cavalry in terms of overall usefulness. They can wear multiple hats and mounted archers specifically can kite and whittle away an enemy army with zero to few casualties. It's why I avoid the steppe factions because every battle will turn out the same.

There's also the fact that melee cavalry is split into two camps: charge and true melee. Charge cavalry is just that, high charge damage but low melee defense. True melee cavalry might not have as impressive a charge, but you can use them to counter enemy cavalry and pick off skirmishers. They're more of a strategic unit.