Thread: Stop Crashes on Windows 11 Newer PC?

Default Stop Crashes on Windows 11 Newer PC?

Yup. Newer laptop now guys. Really good video card...can play Elden Ring smoothly. Now M2TW crashes way more often. Patched both exes (Kingdoms, medieval) using the 4gb patch, turned off nvidia overlay...still crashes. Specifically while clicking the save button...or mid-ai (enemy states)'s turns. Not playing EB2 though (I can't handle the depression if I definitively find out I can't smoothly play eb2) but on other mods like 1648 or Retro Submod of Game of Thrones. Autosave was disabled, is borderless windowed...what now fellow M2TW veterans??

Default Re: Stop Crashes on Windows 11 Newer PC?

Right click on the M2TW executable and go to its Properties. Then, enable Windows 7 Compatibility Mode

Welp that didn't work either. I made m2tw and kingdoms exe run on windows 7 compatibility. It's always an "unidentified error" in the logs, and it shows up when I save or overwrite a save, or mid turns of the ai. I can play custom battles extra smooth...but it seems the campaign is a dicey experience of crashes. And this is in other mods...I can only hope eb2 is way more stable...
    Last edited by Pooploop; April 17, 2023 at 07:38 AM.

Guys, thinking about it, my older laptop was windows 10 and also nvidia. It wasn't high end at all but relative to our beloved but kinda ancient m2tw it was light-years ahead. Is the problem more to do with my current setup using windows 11 more than anything else (like more ram and a better video card)? Any windows 11 specific tips aside from running compatibility settings on the two exes (medieval2 and kingdom)?

So I got a Windows 11 laptop and am now experiencing a guaranteed CTD 30-45 minutes into each playthrough, just like Pooploop. Absolutely nothing had helped - LAA, Compatibility Mode, admin settings, etc. So it must be an issue with Windows 11 itself. Players will have to either downgrade to Windows 10 or deal with nonstop CTDs

Just what we need ahead of the next release, an operating system that isn't backwards-compatible with M2TW.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I got a new computer with Win11 - the SSHIP runs on it (I don't know how long), but always crashes on exit.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

I tried downgrading to Windows 10 and it drastically improved how long I could play EBII before an Unspecified Error showed up. Previously on Windows 11 the game would randomly crash after 1 battle. Now on Windows 10 the game would randomly crash after... 2 battles on average. Granted, there was a lot of time spent on the campaign map between those 2 battles, so the stability on Windows 10 is a lot better than it seems. Also, the AI turn time and game speed in general drastically improved after downgrading to Windows 10. Still, this confirms that Windows 10 is much better for M2TW and EBII than Windows 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    I tried downgrading to Windows 10 and it drastically improved how long I could play EBII before an Unspecified Error showed up. Previously on Windows 11 the game would randomly crash after 1 battle. Now on Windows 10 the game would randomly crash after... 2 battles on average. Granted, there was a lot of time spent on the campaign map between those 2 battles, so the stability on Windows 10 is a lot better than it seems. Also, the AI turn time and game speed in general drastically improved after downgrading to Windows 10. Still, this confirms that Windows 10 is much better for M2TW and EBII than Windows 11.
    And it was as stable as they come on Windows 7...

@Pooploop , did you happen to enable Balanced Performance Plan on your Windows 11? It's possible that Balanced is causing M2TW to occasionally stutter, and when you perform a clicking action when this happens, the Unspecified Error occurs. If you did have Balanced Performance Plan enabled, follow this guide to enable Ultra High Performance, which should prevent stuttering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x84Ls_ZtQHI

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    I tried downgrading to Windows 10
    how do you do this downgrading? It's only for a game, or it's permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    how do you do this downgrading? It's only for a game, or it's permanent?
    I backed up my files and replaced Windows 11 with Windows 10. Windows 10 is supposedly better anyway.

Shoebopp I have no idea what Balanced Performance Plan even is. Waiting for eb2 has made me try out Attila and it's king of historical overhauls (e.g. Fote & EP) but if eb2 ever comes back (its new version) I'll definitely try that fix first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    Shoebopp I have no idea what Balanced Performance Plan even is. Waiting for eb2 has made me try out Attila and it's king of historical overhauls (e.g. Fote & EP) but if eb2 ever comes back (its new version) I'll definitely try that fix first.
    The new version is definitely coming, we wouldn't be trying to fix this damned music bug otherwise.

I really hope somebody is looking and adding more traits/triggers across cultures. EB2 has good roleplaying...but a cursory glance at the text files show how much more can be added...

Quote Originally Posted by Pooploop View Post
    I really hope somebody is looking and adding more traits/triggers across cultures. EB2 has good roleplaying...but a cursory glance at the text files show how much more can be added...
    'Fraid not at the moment, we don't have anyone looking at traits right now. And yes, there's a huge amount of work to do in that area.