Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to be done in the Curia

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Things to be done in the Curia

Not a must, but will definitely make the Curia more user friendly and updated. I plan to work on some or all of them, time permitting, but I'm being optimistic here, very optimistic. Anyone is welcomed to offer their help, of course.

I'm making a list of what I've seen so far, if you have something you want to see added, please post about below. Not all have the same importance, nor priority, for what matters.

- Rewrite the Constitution, getting rid of footnotes and condensing all the info about one argument in their own place; top one in my priority list right now, will work on that soon to put up an amendment.
    - Rewrite the Consular Handbook and the Consular Task thread (I've actually done both past week, they are in the Politia so not directly accessible, but if any former Consul wants to see them, I can provide screens)
    - Check the Citizens Handbook to see if needs some updates
    - Rewrite the Guide to the Curia which is outdated, to say the least - DFK has volunteered for the job
    - As above, but with the Guide to Patronizing New Citizens
    - check the Citizenship templates and see if need update
    (actually it makes sense to make one single thread for the last 3 old threads).
    - update the List of Citizens at the Wiki
    - Living history forum

So far it is all
    Last edited by Flinn; April 12, 2023 at 06:15 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Things to be done in the Curia

I'll likely propose text for the Guide to the Curia and header updates to copy and paste in at some point. A lot of the material has fallen by the wayside and become obsolete, it definitely needs updates to be of service. It can also just be far shorter: it almost seems to mirror the Constitution in places when it ought to be additive, and references to the various staff awards can link to relevant articles elsewhere. This would compliment a simplified Constitution... probably best for that to come first. I digress.

I'd consider the Guide to Patronizing New Citizens and Citizenship templates to be historic material, perhaps linked for posterity in a revised Guide to the Curia but otherwise detached from the header system and pointing to GttC for current material.

The Citizen's Handbook is a nice gesture but seems a bit redundant at this point. Not sure if updates would help or hinder it.

Good to hear regarding the Consular Handbook & Task thread. That's something I wanted to work on but didn't get far enough on in my past term, so it's good that it sees completion now. It's really not a difficult job, it's just a lot of little things to remember + maintenance and busywork in handling threads. In an alternate timeline many of the Consul's duties would be semi or fully automated, or at least simpler to navigate by interface. Most of the effort is someone posting threads that need to be tracked once in a while.

Wiki pages relevant to the Curia are in different stages of quality and 'up to date'ness, something which I've worked with on and off and I'll continue to update those intermittently. List of Citizens has been slipping and could use an eye to update it, both with current citizens and the award nomination stuff that it tracks (the latter is much lower priority though). There is room for improvement including articles on historic Curia pieces and the articles for current functions. Unlike most of what would be suggested here, this is a domain any registered user can contribute to directly (just need to log in on the wiki/get a wiki account as applicable). You can even dump what you know somewhere and it can be glued together more elegantly later. I can troubleshoot most wiki concerns directly, even 'I need an account'. Or you can contact Content Hex as official representatives. Lots of flexibility here.

I'll add that the Living History forum has not been living for a long time. This is an area I would be interested working with, as I've been doing a lot of history stuff lately anyway. Though he hasn't been around in a bit, I imagine PikeStance would be willing to help get it up to speed. Perhaps there are others, I'd especially welcome people who have lived the history. It serves well in the areas it covers, but that is now a small period of time and there is a lot of history that has moved on. I think this would mainly be the domain of 1-2 individuals working to update the index pin, copying threads of public interest script-style into it, and seeing how it may compliment related sections on the Wiki (eg: the Wiki can summarize events, the Living History forum gives primary sources). If nothing else, one of the images of the index pin is broken.

This was something I was going for with Proconsuls, but it seems we need another way or that proposal needs to be reworked for acceptance. Unless Flinn wants to put a particular amount of time into it/delegate to a censor, but the Living History forum is a bit out of the way and one of the more isolated elements of a Consul's scope. It lives at the mercy of whoever wants to maintain it at a given time. If it can be updated to reach modern times then it will be a pretty minor thing to update going forward, I think.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Blog Entries

ok let's go by points

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    I'll likely propose text for the Guide to the Curia and header updates to copy and paste in at some point. A lot of the material has fallen by the wayside and become obsolete, it definitely needs updates to be of service. It can also just be far shorter: it almost seems to mirror the Constitution in places when it ought to be additive, and references to the various staff awards can link to relevant articles elsewhere. This would compliment a simplified Constitution... probably best for that to come first. I digress.
    Ok so I'll put your name in the OP as a volunteer; if by any reason you need to drop this, just update me. And yes, I agree that the first step is definitely to simplify the Constitution, that's why it's my top priority.

I'd consider the Guide to Patronizing New Citizens and Citizenship templates to be historic material, perhaps linked for posterity in a revised Guide to the Curia but otherwise detached from the header system and pointing to GttC for current material.
    *See below in the section about the Living History

The Citizen's Handbook is a nice gesture but seems a bit redundant at this point. Not sure if updates would help or hinder it.
    Good point, I'm not suggesting to redo it, just check if needs updates. I'll probably poke Brew at some point about that.

Good to hear regarding the Consular Handbook & Task thread. That's something I wanted to work on but didn't get far enough on in my past term, so it's good that it sees completion now. It's really not a difficult job, it's just a lot of little things to remember + maintenance and busywork in handling threads. In an alternate timeline many of the Consul's duties would be semi or fully automated, or at least simpler to navigate by interface. Most of the effort is someone posting threads that need to be tracked once in a while.
    Yeah I think almost every Curator/Consul after Shankbot wanted to redo it, but you need a madman to do a crazy work All in all I think I did a good job, I've always been good at condensing stuff into easy to use guides (and I wrote plenty of technical manuals for tech products back in my early career).

Wiki pages relevant to the Curia are in different stages of quality and 'up to date'ness, something which I've worked with on and off and I'll continue to update those intermittently. List of Citizens has been slipping and could use an eye to update it, both with current citizens and the award nomination stuff that it tracks (the latter is much lower priority though). There is room for improvement including articles on historic Curia pieces and the articles for current functions. Unlike most of what would be suggested here, this is a domain any registered user can contribute to directly (just need to log in on the wiki/get a wiki account as applicable). You can even dump what you know somewhere and it can be glued together more elegantly later. I can troubleshoot most wiki concerns directly, even 'I need an account'. Or you can contact Content Hex as official representatives. Lots of flexibility here.
    Damn, I had in mind to add the Curial wiki pages to the list but forgot it. I'm adding the List of Citizens, regarding all the other Curial pages in the Wiki I'm of two minds. You know well I did quite a lot of edits to them, but honestly apart from the aforementioned List of Citizens, I'm tending to consider the rest of them a duplicate of info one can already find elsewhere. Probably worth to rethink the whole "history" part of the Curia and move it to the Wiki? In any case there's no obligation for the Curia to update those pages, so if no one like us will look at them, they will remain unmanned.. I'm all for deleting stuff that isn't relevant anymore, but anywyas we'd better discuss this elsewhere since this is not really connected to actual Curial duties/work.

I'll add that the Living History forum has not been living for a long time. This is an area I would be interested working with, as I've been doing a lot of history stuff lately anyway. Though he hasn't been around in a bit, I imagine PikeStance would be willing to help get it up to speed. Perhaps there are others, I'd especially welcome people who have lived the history. It serves well in the areas it covers, but that is now a small period of time and there is a lot of history that has moved on. I think this would mainly be the domain of 1-2 individuals working to update the index pin, copying threads of public interest script-style into it, and seeing how it may compliment related sections on the Wiki (eg: the Wiki can summarize events, the Living History forum gives primary sources). If nothing else, one of the images of the index pin is broken.

This was something I was going for with Proconsuls, but it seems we need another way or that proposal needs to be reworked for acceptance. Unless Flinn wants to put a particular amount of time into it/delegate to a censor, but the Living History forum is a bit out of the way and one of the more isolated elements of a Consul's scope. It lives at the mercy of whoever wants to maintain it at a given time. If it can be updated to reach modern times then it will be a pretty minor thing to update going forward, I think.
    I'm all for proactive stuff and History isn't really my bread and butter; I mean, it won't be my personal priority at all to work on the Living History, but ofc anyone is welcome to do so. I was in favor of the Proconsul proposal and voted yes, but now I can see how you can't really "force" someone into doing that kind of work with the excuse of an elected position; someone really has to volunteer for it and later on we can propose them for a Curial Award or even a Phalera if the work is egregious enough.
    I'm adding the Living History part to the OP, in any case.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Good stuff, I'll take a gander at Guide to the Curia and wiki-side resources with this project in mind. Can't promise a timeline but it's on the menu. I'm also willing to look into the Living History section.

I'll admit most of the Proconsul proposal was abstract and leaned on bling for incentive, but in the case of History some permissions are necessary to be direct. But, like most things people would help out with on this, one can always put suggested changes into a spoiler and let them be pasted where needed. Indirect but functional.

I think the Curia's history section and the respective parts of the Wiki can help each other: the Curia maintains just lists of worthy reading (as it is currently arranged), while the Wiki provides summaries and uses the forum for sources. Moving the actual threads into the wiki word for word could be tricky. Some personal perspectives are already there but it is exception more than rule. LH, the curial side of the wiki and for example, blogs are all things which are not directly pertinent to the Curia or the Consul's day to day functions the Curia will persist without them) but they're still there and connected, and in an ideal world more people can help traffic and improve these areas. Until then... well, we'll see what we can do.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

List of Citizens should now include all 'recent' patronages going back to 2020. If someone got citizenship specifically by getting a large award I may have missed them.

Blog Entries

List of Citizens should now include all 'recent' patronages going back to 2020. If someone got citizenship specifically by getting a large award I may have missed them.

I applaud the effort, let me know if I can be of any use.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I don't really have anything to add here other than that I'm glad to see people still putting their best foot forward here in the Curia. As Ponti said let me know if I can be of any help.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Not a must, but will definitely make the Curia more user friendly and updated. I plan to work on some or all of them, time permitting, but I'm being optimistic here, very optimistic. Anyone is welcomed to offer their help, of course.

I'm making a list of what I've seen so far, if you have something you want to see added, please post about below. Not all have the same importance, nor priority, for what matters.

- Rewrite the Constitution, getting rid of footnotes and condensing all the info about one argument in their own place; top one in my priority list right now, will work on that soon to put up an amendment.
    Finalmente. The current constitution is a pain to read.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I applaud the effort, let me know if I can be of any use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I don't really have anything to add here other than that I'm glad to see people still putting their best foot forward here in the Curia. As Ponti said let me know if I can be of any help.
    Thanks for the offers gents, I'll take them into consideration. Just in case I'll have one small office with just one desk for the both of you, because drama is what the Curia feeds on ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Finalmente. The current constitution is a pain to read.
    I'm on it, a bit behind the schedule anyways. I've been busy with counting nominations for the Member Awards and also had some holidays (went to Lourdes to pray for Silvio), but I'll be back on that asap.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I can't complain, being a bit behind schedule myself. I'll probably chunk out some awards and a citizen candidate before I get to the Guide and curial things relative to the Wiki. If someone wants to update the wiki page for large award recipients, I won't get to that for the foreseeable future.

Blog Entries

Means that there miss the 2021-2022? shouldn't be many there

Blog Entries

Bump

Also, I'm halfway the work of preparing the amendment for the reworked Constitution

Blog Entries

Bump

Also, I'm halfway the work of preparing the amendment for the reworked Constitution
    And I'm done

Just need to double check it and I'll be good to go, I hope to be able to post it this week

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Haven't spotted any, so we should be clear.

-----

On a tangent regarding a Guide to the Curia, aside from ending up with a few non-starters I have pestered myself with a question: is a guide even necessary? The constitution is rather simple and only getting simpler. The relevant wiki articles are/should be able to cover any needed support. Citizenship templates are old age, the process has streamlined to the extent where I've demonstrated that an applicant paragraph isn't even necessary and there is no pomp to citizenship, you like the idea or you don't and the Curia thinks you're a substantive presence on the forum or not, the latter being very rare to come by in prospects these days. Patronizing itself is rather simple. Any complexity that remains is the ghost of busier years. I've come to wonder if it's worth retaining a guide or if it is just extraneous, better off removed from the link index. It and the other two threads were formed for a bygone age. If there is merit I'll need suggestions to make it useful to get over the writer's block.

Blog Entries

As I said, IMO it makes sense to have one single "guide" including the Guide to the Curia, the Guide to Patronizing New Citizens and the Citizenship templates. It's not really a priority, so just in case it remains pending I'll see if I can look at that in the next weeks.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

That's the thing - the other two elements are obsolete and the guide itself is covered by a clear constitution and already available wiki supplements. I'm not sure what role it would serve aside from being just extra text.

Blog Entries

- Rewrite the Constitution, getting rid of footnotes and condensing all the info about one argument in their own place; top one in my priority list right now, will work on that soon to put up an amendment. done
    - Rewrite the Consular Handbook and the Consular Task thread (I've actually done both past week, they are in the Politia so not directly accessible, but if any former Consul wants to see them, I can provide screens) done

- update the List of Citizens at the Wiki
    - Living history forum

So far it is all

I started updating it and for better part of three years kept it up to date. I forget who, but it was beautified while I was doing it. I can continue to work on it if you like.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Any bit helps I reckon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast