Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ridley Scott wants to vandalize history again (Napoleon)

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Ridley Scott wants to vandalize history again (Napoleon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_(2023_film)

"Napoleon is an upcoming epic historical drama film directed and produced by Ridley Scott and written by David Scarpa. (uh oh, this guy never wrote anything though)

It stars Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon (WHY???) and depicts the French leader's rise to power. The film is scheduled to be released by Apple Studios on Apple TV+ as an Apple original film. (uh oh)

The film depicts Napoleon's rise to power through the lens of his addictive and volatile relationship with Empress Joséphine.[1][2] (oh so it is going to be boring
    )"

"On October 14, 2020, the same day his film The Last Duel wrapped filming, Ridley Scott announced, the now titled movie Napoleon, Kitbag as his next project for 20th Century Studios, which he would direct and produce from a screenplay written by Scott's All the Money in the World collaborator David Scarpa. The film's title was derived from the saying, "There is a general's staff hidden in every soldier's kitbag." Joaquin Phoenix was reportedly attached to star as the greatest French General and Emperor of France Napoléon Bonaparte, reuniting him with the director after Gladiator in 2000.[3] However, when Scott's deal with 20th Century Studios concluded by the end of the year, the project became available to other major studios. In January 2021, Apple Studios announced its commitment to finance and produce the film, with shooting scheduled to take place in the United Kingdom in 2022. "Napoleon is a man I've always been fascinated by", Scott said in a statement, "He came out of nowhere to rule everything — but all the while he was waging a romantic war with his adulterous wife Joséphine. He conquered the world to try to win her love, and when he couldn't, he conquered it to destroy her, and destroyed himself in the process."[4]

(WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT?)

The Last Duel actress Jodie Comer was reportedly Scott's first choice to play Empress Joséphine. (WTF???? What is his obsession with Jodie Comer... even Eva Green makes more sense tbh) She entered negotiations to star in March 2021, confirmed her casting in September, and said, "I just jumped at the chance to work with Ridley and his team again and the idea of working with Joaquin, who's someone who I hugely admire ... I'm so excited to delve into that world."[5][6] In November, she said her role was "going to be another huge challenge, but what I love about period dramas is that kind of transformation. Even now, doing some costume and hair tests for Kitbag, it's just so exciting because it becomes so much easier to step out of yourself and into somebody else."[7] That same month, Youssef Kerkour was confirmed to star.[8] On January 4, 2022, Comer revealed her departure from the film due to scheduling changes caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.[1] Vanessa Kirby was announced as her replacement later that day.[2] On January 18, 2022, producer Kevin J. Walsh said the film had been retitled Napoleon.[9] In February, Tahar Rahim was added to the cast.[10]

Production began in February 2022.[10] The film will feature six major battle sequences, unlike another film featuring Napoleon, Waterloo (1970), that focused on a single battle.[11] Napoleon was shot under the working title Marengo, a reference to the Battle of Marengo (1800).[12] Filming took place in Lincoln, England, in March 2022.[13] The crew reportedly spent a week to prepare Lincoln Cathedral, which stood in for Notre-Dame de Paris. Shooting took place in the cathedral on March 17 and March 18, between 7 am and 7 pm.[14][15][16]

(SO UNLESS THIS IS LIKE A 6 HOUR RUNTIME THESE BATTLES WILL SUCK)

Filming also took place at Stowe Avenue and House, Buckinghamshire; Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, Oxfordshire;[17][18][19] West Wycombe Park in Buckinghamshire, England;[20], Petworth House in Sussex, England,[21] and Boughton House in Kettering, England.[22] It was also set to shoot in Malta for three weeks, starting in May 2022. Fort Ricasoli in Kalkara, Malta, is set to be transformed into the site of 1793's siege of Toulon, where Napoleon had his first victory.[23][24][25]"

Cast

Why is there Theresa Cabarrus and Sanson the Borreau even in this story? Who the heck are these people? Honestly its comes off like Ridley Scott barely knows who Napoleon is, skimmed through a Wikipedia article and then wrote a story about who he thinks Napoleon is.

Some of these casting choices are absurd. Why don't they cast Jackie Chan as police minister Fouche? How about Ben Kingsley as Napoleon cause why not. The most offensive casting is probably Tahar Rahim as Paul Barras. That doesn't even make sense. But John Hollingworth as Marshal Ney... where is Ney's fiery red hair?

Can we just put Ridley Scott out to pasture already. I think this old warhorse needs to be retired or sold to a glue factory. None of this makes sense to me. Throw in Apple TV and I am even more confused. What do they care about history?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 09, 2023 at 01:38 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

Default Re: Ridley Scott wants to vandalize history again (Napoleon)

The only Frenchman in this film plays the Russian Tsar.
    How is the kid from Black Gold playing Paul Barras? I... wait what? Is this real?

The ultimate casting choice would have been Danny DeVito as Napoleon and King George being played by Idris Elba.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Sarson was the guy who tried to assassinate Louis XV and executed Louis XVI, really important guy, while Cabarrus was a woman who married a bunch nobles, also very important.

Personally I have full faith in Ridley Scott. He has a history of producing historical movies of such accuracy that they might as well be documentaries*, movies such as Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood and the Last Duel.

*/s

Honestly I expect a decent popcorn flick with good visuals, good music and a completely made-up story.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Sounds very bad.
    Besides, there already are Napoleon movies. The Byzantine Empire needs a US/holywood movie
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Sounds very bad.
    Besides, there already are Napoleon movies. The Byzantine Empire needs a US/holywood movie
    You would think Irene blinding her son and ruling in her own right and laughing out load when she learned about Charlemagne's coronation would sell itself.
    Last edited by conon394; April 10, 2023 at 11:12 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

I'd go with Basil II and his mother, personally. Brutal and imperial ^^
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I'd go with Basil II and his mother, personally. Brutal and imperial ^^
    Fair enough. But than you got all kinds epic stuff and lurid stuff if you do Justinian and Theodora. Or Romanos and an end with the Battle of Manzikert
    Last edited by conon394; April 10, 2023 at 02:35 PM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician

They filmed the entire thing in England for some reason. This is just Ridley Scott, an Anglo, trying to subvert French history. Shame on him and may the people give him the guillotine.

Patrician

Sounds very bad.
    I don't think you want Hollywood anywhere near this.

Looks like someone who dressed up as Napoleon for Halloween

I dunno Looks pretty close to some of the First Consul paintings... and I mean some of the Emperor ones are over the top.

Patrician

That looks nothing like Napoleon. Like maybe the nose is similar but they are both from the Mediterranean.

Anyway Napoleon portraits are all inconsistent as heck. You could look at one portrait and he looks nothing like the other portrait.

Either way casting choice of Joaquin Phoenix is just cause he won awards and overacts in all of his movies. Which displaying emotion is now considered good acting or something.

That looks nothing like Napoleon. Like maybe the nose is similar but they are both from the Mediterranean.
    Seems like a pointless argument. And I was commenting on the uniform. SO you stormed out of Henry V by kenneth branagh or every and all royal the Bard company performances?

Anyway Napoleon portraits are all inconsistent as heck. You could look at one portrait and he looks nothing like the other portrait.
    So you contradict yourself

Either way casting choice of Joaquin Phoenix is just cause he won awards and overacts in all of his movies. Which displaying emotion is now considered good acting or something.
    Seeing as you have not seen in the role yet how can you say.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Seems like a pointless argument. And I was commenting on the uniform. SO you stormed out of Henry V by kenneth branagh or every and all royal the Bard company performances?
    Well if I did then that was my mistake. But I'm not here to watch a play, I'm here to watch a MOVIE.

So you contradict yourself
    Not at all. Just because he doesn't look like the portrait from Jacques Louis David doesn't mean Monsieur Joker looks anything like the portrait from Jean Auguste Ingres either.

Seeing as you have not seen in the role yet how can you say.
    Because I don't like him in any other movie.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Sarson was the guy who tried to assassinate Louis XV and executed Louis XVI, really important guy, while Cabarrus was a woman who married a bunch nobles, also very important.

Personally I have full faith in Ridley Scott. He has a history of producing historical movies of such accuracy that they might as well be documentaries*, movies such as Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood and the Last Duel.

*/s

Honestly I expect a decent popcorn flick with good visuals, good music and a completely made-up story.
    The best one was Exodus Gods and Kings. Amazing how he used a special camera that could emit time traveling rays of light to actually film the moment when the real Moses opened up the Red Sea, and then used CGI to put Christian Bale's face over that of the real life Moses. Ridley Scott gives James Cameron and his boring Avatar 2 a run for his money.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I think Alien is the most historically accurate movie of Ridley Scott, in the sense that what is depicted may still happen.

Adjust expectations accordingly.

Patrician

I always forget that Ridley Scott also made Alien. Guess it was that long ago.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Well if I did then that was my mistake. But I'm not here to watch a play, I'm here to watch a MOVIE.

Not at all. Just because he doesn't look like the portrait from Jacques Louis David doesn't mean Monsieur Joker looks anything like the portrait from Jean Auguste Ingres either.

Because I don't like him in any other movie.
    I should clarify on these points.

My primary issue isn't that Joaquin Phoenix doesn't look the part. He looks close enough. These are just actors whatever.

But what I do think will be the case is that he will not be able to pull off the role. I don't think that his acting ability is at the level where he could play Napoleon.

I expect that he will just be a stereotypical Napoleon, acting all detached and stern, likely overacting certain scenes and start screaming or something, as Joaquin Phoenix tends to do.

Well he might do a better job than Marlon Brando did but that is hardly an achievement. As far as Napoleon actors go it is hard to beat Rod Steiger in Waterloo. While Christian Clavier did a believable job in the Napoleon miniseries. Vladislav Strzhelchik did a pretty good job for the short amount of screen time he had in the 1967 Russian version of War & Peace.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 15, 2023 at 11:09 AM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I think centering the story about his relation with Josephine isn't that bad for a movie. We know from correspondence that Napoleon was clearly obsessed with her in this stage of his life / career. Can understand why Kirby was second choice to Comer when it comes to looks. Then again I haven't seen Comer except in "the white princess" which character wise is rather remote from what you'd expect of Josephine. More problematic is that JP is mucholder than either, which reverses the age gap and then some. Old, serious man - young whimsical spouse
    suddenly makes it so clichee.
    As for JP's looks, well I tried to fiend alternatives and it's quite hard to come up with anyone better if you limit yourself to Hollywood. However, I did come across French actor Karim Leklou whose looks to have that certain softness of features that almost all Hollywood actors lack.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Sounds very bad.

Looks like someone who dressed up as Napoleon for Halloween
    A young J. Phoenix would have been an interesting casting choice, but now he's just way too old.
    Last edited by Pinarius; April 15, 2023 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast