Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ridley Scott wants to vandalize history again (Napoleon)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Ridley Scott wants to vandalize history again (Napoleon)

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Ridley Scott can direct, but Fabio Lanzoni should star, cast, write, produce, and promote the film, and do all the stunts while being in charge of stunt choreography and special effects. Just go hog wild and make it like an Eddie Murphy movie where he plays all the major roles at once.
    A more modest idea would be to have him play the childhood friend of Napoleon, in Corsica, who grew up in the circus and then became a beau-spy-whatever of various long-jawed monarchs. The reveal will be that proximity to this character, even mentally, was what made Napoleon leave Elba.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The first portrait was problematic for me because she seems to have been influenced by the coronation portraits done by Ingres. Those were basically propaganda. As were the Imperial busts. Unless anyone actually believes that Napoleon had a chiseled jaw and Ptolemaic features. That first portrait has a jaw that is way too large I think. The portraits should have been based on the death mask in my opinion. Also did Napoleon have blue eyes or brown eyes? This has been debated ad nauseam for literally centuries now.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

It could be Fabio or it could be Furio.

If this movie was made by Tarentino then it should have Joe Peschi in the lead role. Probably Hugh Grant as the Duke of Wellington.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

1. He couldn't look less like Napoleon.
    2. This has all the markings of fluff, eg Gladiator type
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Should have used that "de-aging" technology on J. Phoenix. This is him at "24 years":

Last edited by Pinarius; July 10, 2023 at 05:14 PM.

Patrician

Looks like overproduced modern garbage.

Don't get why Nappy is fighting in battle like if he was an 18th Century knight or something.

Trailer looks bad but the script is outright terrible.

I might hate watch this we will see.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Should have used that "de-aging" technology on J. Phoenix. This is him at "24 years":

How old is Joaquin Phoenix? Like 50? That is how old Napoleon was when he died.

Google says he is 48. He just aged prematurely

A young Napoleon in Bonaparte,: la Campagne d'Égypte (2016).

Last edited by Pinarius; July 11, 2023 at 11:35 AM.

Another young Napoleon in Assassins Creed: Unity

"This just makes you realize how much better the original painting was and how dull Hollywood's colour pallet has been since ~2000 when everything has to be put through some gray/brown/yellow filter"
    https://twitter.com/ByzRomanLevant/s...17659584036865

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I know the modern twist on the plot is already rather dumb, but would it have killed Scott to just cast a younger actor? His affinity for Phoenix is great, but this is just dumb casting per the massive age gulf here. I'm not a fan of overuse of CGI, but maybe they legitimately should have de-aged him with CGI to play Napoleon in his 20s if they wanted him that badly. LOL. It's about as dumb as people saying 48-year-old Angelina Jolie should play Cleopatra, when Cleopatra killed herself at age 39, and a movie about Cleopatra would take at least a year or two to produce. That means a 50-year-old woman depicting a historical queen in her 20s and 30s when she reigned.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I know the modern twist on the plot is already rather dumb, but would it have killed Scott to just cast a younger actor? His affinity for Phoenix is great, but this is just dumb casting per the massive age gulf here. I'm not a fan of overuse of CGI, but maybe they legitimately should have de-aged him with CGI to play Napoleon in his 20s if they wanted him that badly. LOL. It's about as dumb as people saying 48-year-old Angelina Jolie should play Cleopatra, when Cleopatra killed herself at age 39, and a movie about Cleopatra would take at least a year or two to produce. That means a 50-year-old woman depicting a historical queen in her 20s and 30s when she reigned.

I'll re vist my early cares - not the age. I can deal. Not the resemblance I can deal. Its Ridley scott directing multiple liner battle scenes - that won't make my eyes bleed and and a love story - either of which should be bloody separate.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

This is an appropriate place for this:

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    A young Napoleon in Bonaparte,: la Campagne d'Égypte (2016).

That looks like Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka. Or Matthew Broderick or something.

Haircut looks a bit too lesbian for me anyhow.

From the still I thought he was asian

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

No interest in this era, (unless it's Sharpe or Hornblower) but, I'm looking forward to this, almost as much as Gladiator II.

I'm sure both will be terrible loosely based on - accounts with ethnically/age appropriate questionable cast members and, liberties beyond the tolerance levels of anyone with more than a passing interest in the actual historical events.
    But Ridley will blow up, kill thousands of horses and get someone to write a lovely score that Lisa Gerrard will likely sing her made up language over.

And, remember, you can quote the Maximus speech off the top of your head, you know who touched whom on the shoulder, once! And you know that Jerusalem was worth nothing, everything.

Popcorn chomping nonsense at its glorious best.