Thread: Questions about Changing the Bodyguard units of a Faction?

Dark Attila's Avatar Foederatus

Default Questions about Changing the Bodyguard units of a Faction?

My question is straightforward, is it possible to change the Bodyguard unit of one particular faction with another Factions Bodyguard Unit? I'd like to change the Bodyguard units of Hungary's faction with the Bodyguard unit from the Turks faction is this possible to do by editing files?

Default Re: Questions about Changing the Bodyguard units of a Faction?

Change "ownership" of the unit in EDU for the Turks bodyguard to "turks, hungary"
    Make sure that unit is the first "general_unit" available to Hungary (from the top) or just remove ownership of the default Hungary bodyguard unit to "slave"

Then you get to try playing with battle_models.modeldb... you're going to want to check a tutorial for that one, it's a bit complicated.

Thanks CavalryCmdr, I will try to figure it out.
    Btw which tutorial would you recommend?

I don't really know, [Tutorial] Creating a World - Importing units from another mod (twcenter.net) should give you the basics. The article isn't dedicated to the modeldb, but covers it well enough and I've always found Gigantus' tutorials the easiest to follow.

Thank You, I will look through the Tutorial. I know Gigantus is a Legend in the Modding community. I remember a long time ago, I was trying to change something like the contrast/colors in a RTW mod, I had tried everything I could think of but couldn't solve the problem well it was Gigantus that helped me to solve the problem!

Thank You, I will look through the Tutorial. I know Gigantus is a Legend in the Modding community. I remember a long time ago, I was trying to change something like the contrast/colors in a RTW mod, I had tried everything I could think of but couldn't solve the problem well it was Gigantus that helped me to solve the problem!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

It's actually a different tutorial (not mine) that will be more helpful: How to add an existing unit to another faction

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

this may answer my question as well. in the version of call of warhammer i am playing all the merc units are general units and they have across the board ownership and every empire faction i play i keep getting alcatani pikemen bodyguard.

so i should just list those mercenary bodyguards under slave ownership to avoid general_unit recruiting when family members appear?

cause i realized that if those bodyguard units are not listed as general_units they wont self repair.

just let me know if im on the right path.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll try. Family members will appear with the first (from the top of the EDU) "general_unit" with their faction ownership for a bodyguard. So if you put the major faction generals bodyguard units you want family members to come with at the beginning of the EDU, thats the bodyguard family members will appear with, whether or not all those other units are general_units.
    Last edited by CavalryCmdr; March 31, 2023 at 04:27 AM.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

well actually i moved all the pike units to the top of the edu and that was the problem. so i moved them down til after the other bodyguard units and it fixed the issue. i suppose the game parses the first bodyguard unit that a faction can recruit with a family member or general.

i had read the link above about creating stuff and it had the answer i needed.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!