I wonder, after so many years, has there been found a solution to CTDs after Pirates' turn? (Or after re-appearing factions' turn anyways.)"

After many many years I re-installed Empire and had a full Long Campaign as France. When I destroyed England, the moment I captured Quebec, the settlement, from Quebec the nation, game insta-crashed to desktop. I reloaded an earlier save, destroyed England again and then magically capturing Quebec worked. After many many turns, bug happened again, but that time with the Pirates in Cuba, after I had destroyed Spain. Game crashed when I captured the settlement of Cuba or I won and destroyed the Pirates' stack near Cuba (if my army got defeated, no crash), or said stack tried to interact and take back the port.
After I won the campaign, I started a new one with TROM mod (The Rights of the Man). After a few turns, when I destroyed Netherlands, game crashed again at the end of the pirates' turn, for the same reasons, ie pirate stack trying to capture back a port from enemy AI fleet.

So I wonder, is there a solution, a mod, a fix, an patch, anything really, to those CTDs? I am too discouraged to play around the problem or reloading saves, wasting so much time, until the bug does not appear.