Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Horrific statistics about the mental health of teenage girls in USA \ Globally

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Horrific statistics about the mental health of teenage girls in USA \ Globally

Ok. I am really sorry alhoon. I should not have participated in this discussion other than to say that the opinions (without any support obviously) that you express in the OP are nothing more than the typical stupidity that can be heard from any guy in the bar.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Horrific statistics about the mental health of teenage girls in USA \ Globally

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Ok. I am really sorry alhoon. I should not have participated in this discussion other than to say that the opinions (without any support obviously) that you express in the OP are nothing more than the typical stupidity that can be heard from any guy in the bar.
    What do you mean "without any support"?! The studies presented in the OP and other studies mentioned elsewhere in the thread, support what I said in the OP.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I was literally responding to a message in which you pointed out the relationship between the loss of past values with the current situation:

"suicides raise as old customs get dissolved"
    Yes but, do you intend or not to reply the following question, which is very very related to OP, which I repeat, and was previously asked with no reply given.

If such great improvements in human relations have been made, then why are teenagers more suicidal in the present in your opinion? I mean present, not past.
    By asking that question it means that I'm open to alternative explanations, instead of just digging in my own previously held ideas.

It's needed to reply questions to have communication, and all that. Or is it all from your posts just hot air?
    Last edited by fkizz; March 10, 2023 at 04:27 PM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    What do you mean "without any support"?! The studies presented in the OP and other studies mentioned elsewhere in the thread, support what I said in the OP.
    OP reread, no reference to any study trying to explain the "Horrific statistics about the mental health of teenage girls in USA \ Globally", just your opinions and comments blaming the teens themselves ("I am not sure how to make teens more thick-skinned and able to brush off online bullies etc without being traumatized or, frankly, how to actually get in their heads that the boyfriend they trust or the gym buddy they tease may try something in that party."). Update it if you want.

OP reread, no reference to any study trying to explain the "Horrific statistics about the mental health of teenage girls in USA \ Globally", just your opinions and comments blaming the teens themselves ("I am not sure how to make teens more thick-skinned and able to brush off online bullies etc without being traumatized or, frankly, how to actually get in their heads that the boyfriend they trust or the gym buddy they tease may try something in that party."). Update it if you want.
    Meanwhile, from the study in the OP:
    "Parental monitoring, defined here as parents or other adults in their family knowing where students are going and who they are with, is another key protective factor for adolescent health and well-being."

As for the three factors I identified in the OP, from the WP article:
    "They continue to grapple with social media pressures, academic strain and family turmoil. "

Will you keep claiming that I made unsubstantiated claims?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 27, 2023 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Unnecessary.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

So well, what can be understood, is that the idea that this great improvement in human relationships has been achieved is a considerable bluff, given the amount of problems in human relations that are present today, compared to what is needed, very little was "achieved" to what is actually required to improve human relations.

We're also re-discovering that divorce, regardless if good or bad, wasn't the Panacea it was hyped to be. For proper healthy relationships, which is a very difficult thing to achieve, just thinking the needed great progress has been done because of divorce and now we can all love each other, is a very naive belief.
    Last edited by fkizz; March 13, 2023 at 01:48 PM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Default Re: Horrific statistics about the mental health of teenage girls in USA

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Those figures seem impossible by intuition. 13 % attempted suicide? Self-reported sexual assault figures, unless defined very rigorously in the study, aren't worth much. There are so many things a woman can label a sexual assault.
    That appears to be the issue, yes. It's irresponsible to put scientific junk like this out in the open to be devoured by sensationalist journalism. US girls are living in rape concentration camps? Yeah sure, do your stupid commercial activism.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    That appears to be the issue, yes. It's irresponsible to put scientific junk like this out in the open to be devoured by sensationalist journalism. US girls are living in rape concentration camps? Yeah sure, do your stupid commercial activism.
    Sexual assault is not always rape. But non-consensual sex is unfortunately, much more common than I wanted to think. I was O_O and my father told me he expected such figures. He reminded me that rape/sexual assault stats are raising for the past 20 years.

Also, there are many cases where the victim doesn't label what happened as "sexual assault". Especially when the victim is not a "her" but a "him".
    To put it simply, a 19-years old pressuring his 17 years old girlfriend to put out or he would seek it elsewhere, can put the girl in a position that she agrees to have sex without being ready. And those cases are anything but rare. And it's not like the women I know would tell me unless we're very close friends. I had girlfriends telling me that "they wanted it every time" they had sex but that's not always the case.
    Then, there are cases where the victim doesn't want to rat out her attacker because she doesn't want him to go to jail forever for something she kinda-feels-guilty about herself! I kid you not, I have read studies (and criminal reports) that touch this case! Or the one doing the assault is important for financial reasons. There have been cases in the news where the family (not the best one obviously) allowed the landlord to molest the girls - or pretended they didn't know or refused to see - etc. And there are cases, in the past at least, where the mother was clear-cut whoring her daughters. As in, finding the customers herself and driving the girl to their door.

And more. If anything, I think sexual assault and rape are under-reported.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

If it is true it's horrific. Now, I have not grown up in some protective bubble that might make me unsee the horror. But, in fact, I have only heard 2 times of women being sexually assaulted in my 40+ years. The one time was about 11-12 years ago and - i kid you not - it was a refugee that has been taken in and misunderstood compassion for sexual attraction. He raped her not once, but two times and he could not be deported because he supposedly had schizophrenia or something. No, I don't know how it ended, probably bad. The victim, i was told, survived her suicide attempt.

She is in fact a strong woman who never even thought of entertaining instagram.

No, i don't take it seriously. Modern women in western countries are not exposed to sexual assaults with that intensity and frequencey. It's garbage.
    Last edited by swabian; March 18, 2023 at 05:49 AM.

returning to the topic again, on suicide there is fairly credible and objective data, like the anti-depressives becoming a profitable industry (rise of 400% since 1988), rise in fetanyl overdoses, the fact that deaths by gunfire are more likely to be suicide than murder (or shot by another)

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/home-and...y-topics/guns/
    https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/a...5-in-six-years
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4872449/
    https://usafacts.org/articles/are-fe...ing-in-the-us/

So yes, kinda naive to pretend things are okay in modernity no problems to solve just because convenient to say yes? This is modernity problems, folks.
    Where are the pro-modernity folks adressing this issues? This is page 9, haven't started yet.

So much for worry about the greater "public wellbeing". Guess a lot of it was/is just another bluff aswell.
    Last edited by fkizz; March 20, 2023 at 04:08 PM.

-George Orwell

I think the implications of the prevalence of social media are the clear number 1 factor. I don't think it has anything to do with divorce rate because the data does not support it.
    From that link "According to data from the Centers for Disease Control, the suicide rate among 10- to 24-year-olds was stable from 2000 to 2007; it then increased 57% between 2007 and 2017."

So, the increase doesn't correspond at all to divorces while it does correspond with skyrocketing use of social media.

Another important factor could also be easy access to firearms which makes a lethal suicide much easier to achieve:
    "We find that suicide by firearm is highest in states with the fewest gun laws (10.8 per 100,000), lower in states with moderate gun laws (8.4 per 100,000), and the lowest in states with the most gun laws (4.9 per 100,000) (Figure 3)."

In the past few years you can probably add things like COVID stress and economic issues (related to COVID in some cases).
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

I don't think it has anything to do with divorce rate because the data does not support it.
    Incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    The recent relative decline in single parenthood/divorce is driven entirely by parents choosing to cohabit instead of get married in the first place. I’ve already addressed the differences between cohabiting outcomes vs marriage, such as the 80% chance of separation by the time kids reach adolescence. It’s certainly an improvement over single parenthood though, thus proving the rule rather than the exception. The timing does comport with the established link between deteriorating youth mental health and divorce/separation rates.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    From that link "According to data from the Centers for Disease Control, the suicide rate among 10- to 24-year-olds was stable from 2000 to 2007; it then increased 57% between 2007 and 2017."

So, the increase doesn't correspond at all to divorces while it does correspond with skyrocketing use of social media.
    In that span of years there is the 2001 black swan events, 2007-8 financial crisis, and the non recovery of the 2007/8 crisis in the next following decade (have we recovered yet?).
    I guess it shows at least we should link our mental state less to bearish economy, not saying it is bad, just that it is not guaranteed to have mindset/emotions/expectations too dependant with events of economic expansion, given such things are more fragile than they look.
    At the same time ideologies that promote distrust on societal fabric based on tribalisms (male/female or republican/democrat) started to soar, which didn't help either.

The social media was used a cope mechanism, but a failed one it seems, if it was introduced during harsh times or if it made things worse, is up for debate.
    Last edited by fkizz; April 06, 2023 at 10:56 AM.

-George Orwell

Nevermind, tried to post a video from Youtube about 50's girls and being pretty.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; April 06, 2023 at 05:06 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789