Thread: What can I play on my potato?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default What can I play on my potato?

I need the portability of a laptop and I want to play some games on it. On 2021 I made an important effort and I purchased a laptop and still working well but I wonder is aging. I like strategy games mostly, here the specs:

MSI GE75 Raider 2020

CPU: Intel Core i7 10750H
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 2933 MHz
    Hard Drives: 512 GB SSD NVMe + 1 TB 5400 rpm
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 super mobile 8 GB DDR6

Any recommendations that this thing can play well?

Default Re: What can I play on my potato?

Moved from Thema Devia.

That's hardly what you call a potato, especially for a laptop. My guess is you can play anything you want on it, as those specs are top notch.

Get the Warhammer trilogy.

It has very good GPU and RAM but CPU is not that good and the worst part in my experience is the hard drives. 512 GB SSD is very low to install games nowadays and the other hard drive 5400 rpm is very bad, everything runs slow in this one. I am trying to put games like Field of Glory 2, Pike and Shot, old games on the 1 TB 5400 rpm because those are the only ones that runs decently there and I have around 5 games in the SSD and I only have 233 GB free. I regret to not spend a bit more on SSD back in 2020.

What's the actual model? A little talked about, but very important part is the chassis, specifically how good the cooling is. Gaming laptops tend to suffer a lot in this regard.

Cooling is not so good I guess. The model is: MSI GE75 Raider 10SF

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

If you'd like to upgrade your storage, you can add another SSd here -
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

However, not fully sure on whether doing so or not will void your warranty - you'd have to check with the store you bought it from.

Also, the specs should in principle be good enough to play anything, so don't worry about that.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

If that's a potato I guess mine is a cauliflower...

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

For playing strategies it must be enough . Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing need better specs, but will play nicely through Nvidia cloud games subscription

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    It has very good GPU and RAM but CPU is not that good and the worst part in my experience is the hard drives. 512 GB SSD is very low to install games nowadays and the other hard drive 5400 rpm is very bad, everything runs slow in this one. I am trying to put games like Field of Glory 2, Pike and Shot, old games on the 1 TB 5400 rpm because those are the only ones that runs decently there and I have around 5 games in the SSD and I only have 233 GB free. I regret to not spend a bit more on SSD back in 2020.
    You mentioned having limited space on the SSD for games. Previously, you recommended Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail, which I'm enjoying - as you'll know, this game takes up just 11 GB (compared to 109 GB for Warhammer III). Ultimate General: Civil War takes up just 2 GB - so maybe you'd like to try Ultimate General: Civil War, if you haven't already tried it?