Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mississippi Republicans Want Separate Police Force for White, Black Areas

Default Re: Mississippi Republicans Want Separate Police Force for White, Black Areas

Over here the entire court system is appointed and it works pretty efficiently, when it's working. It's usually not working because of a very large personnel shortage because you have to pass an exam with a 95% failure rate to get into magistrate school.
    Inadequate staffing does seem to be a genuine concern. Last year the state Chief Justice called judges out of retirement to deal with a backlog of criminal cases in the county where Jackson is located. It would seem this legislation is a more permanent fix, and I suppose it’s easier to cry racism than to come up with alternative solutions. Year after year, the city has been breaking its own national records for homicides. So Democrats’ insistence that everything is fine the way it is and Republicans therefore have no good reason to change anything is….well….. What this really seems to be about is local Democrats having no defense of their decades and decades-long tenure running the city, and being upset by the perceived trespass upon their political fortress.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mississippi Republicans Want Separate Police Force for White, Black Areas

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    My brother in Christ, your source has no facts to speak of.
    Really, now I want to know how Fox News is approaching this story,

From what I have read and from what I am reading here from the defenders of this initiative, this sounds a lot like "the white man is going to save you, stupid black voters".

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Really, now I want to know how Fox News is approaching this story,

From what I have read and from what I am reading here from the defenders of this initiative, this sounds a lot like "the white man is going to save you, stupid black voters".
    Republicanism/Fascism is always an ideology of inequality and authoritarianism: I make the rules because I am inherently superior to you, you follow them because you are inherently lesser than me. I change the rules on a whim and punish you if you don't obey, or maybe even if you do, because I can. If you don't do exactly what I want exactly when I want it and exactly how I want it done, you are responsible for my violent actions.
    Last edited by Coughdrop addict; February 16, 2023 at 03:40 AM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

We've already had this conversation. That a friend of your mother once told you that you looked like a Jew or that a great-great-grandmother was not a wasp does not make you a person of color. you're white, and declaring otherwise to silence critics of racism is, again, pathetic.
    I agree.
    But I also think we should tell that to those that claim native American ancestry based on a single great great grandmother.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I agree.
    But I also think we should tell that to those that claim native American ancestry based on a single great great grandmother.
    It was stupid of her. there you have it. Although maybe it would be necessary to analyze why she said it. Maybe it was a stupid thing said with good intentions (seriously I don't remember the details).

It was stupid of her. there you have it. Although maybe it would be necessary to analyze why she said it. Maybe it was a stupid thing said with good intentions (seriously I don't remember the details).
    She? Who is she? What are you talking about?
    I am talking about people that claim benefits for N.American ancestry based on a singe great great grandfather. In my opinion, if you're not 1/4 or more of something, you can't claim to be of that minority. And that goes for more than those that claim to be Native Americans with 1/16 quota. That goes for "Greeks" in USA that have one great grandfather in Greece, have visited Greece three times in their life and speak perhaps 20 words of Greek.
    Jennifer Anniston's Grandfather is Greek and her father has spent two years of his life in Chania ... but I would not consider her Greek just because she's rich and famous and has a distant Greek ancestry.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Blog Entries

I thought you were talking about Elizabeth Warren. If you want to talk about who can be considered Greek or who can receive a subsidy due to one of their ancestors, perhaps it is an interesting debate that deserves a thread of its own.

I thought you were talking about Elizabeth Warren. If you want to talk about who can be considered Greek or who can receive a subsidy due to one of their ancestors, perhaps it is an interesting debate that deserves a thread of its own.
    Ohhhhhh... right. Warren. I have honestly forgot about that. Look, I used to feel betrayed by Warren when I found out she was not "real" with strong convictions like Sanders (which I like as a person and strongly disagree with politically). But since then (which was not too long ago), we had Santos and the crazy ladies and things were put on perspective.
    Yes, it was stupid of her. But my standards have been lowered. I still find it bad that she did that and I will mention it again, I am sure. But nowdays it doesn't sound as hypocritical as a member of the Homeland Security committee suggesting to break up the USA or someone we are not sure is called George Santos being elected or the other ones in the hypocrites thread.

Now, who can be considered Greek is a different discussion that I am not even sure I can do properly as I am not a sociologist / anthropologist. Law-wise, who I think should be treated as Grecamerican I can discuss about. But the who should receive subsidies due to ancestry is a more interesting topic... that I don't know much about. Different tribes have different quotas!
    Can YOU open such a thread in the Academy? (No, this is not a trap. I have no issue with you as a person or poster, truly, just with some of your ideas)
    Last edited by alhoon; February 22, 2023 at 05:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12