Thread: Condolences to the people of Turkey and Syria

Default Condolences to the people of Turkey and Syria

I didn't see a thread of this type, so I would like to start one here.
    It is a tragedy beyond measure, and it's even aggravated by the fact that the weather in this area is quite cold at this time.
    Hopefully, there will be as many survivors as possible.

Link.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 15, 2023 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Link added.

The Truth is Hate for those who hate the Truth.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Condolences to the people of Turkey and Syria

I applauded your sentiments. But one wonders on how many are dead of suffering because Assad decided to go war with his own people. In Turkey I also suspect more are dead or will die because all too many found it too expensive to have proper building codes. And no I do not mean that some as some fat happy American because I well suspect when a significant seismic event hits So Cal or Seattle we will find in the aftermath that all manner of preparations and planning and retrofitting could have been done was deemed to expensive or regulations to restrictive and getting in the way of growth etc.
    Last edited by conon394; February 10, 2023 at 09:17 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

My condolences to the people of Turkey and Syria too.
    And I agree with conon here: the numbers are so high because people were cutting corners with construction. Happens in this side of the Mediterranean too. When a real earthquake hits Crete, Herakleion would see a lot of damage.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The last few days have been a reminder of just how fragile life can be on this planet so may I suggest leaving casting of blame aside and give what you can to the aid teams so that they can do their job as best they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Surah Fatir 35
    All praise is for Allah, the Originator of the heavens and the earth, Who made angels ˹as His˺ messengers with wings—two, three, or four. He increases in creation whatever He wills. Surely Allah is Most Capable of everything. Whatever mercy Allah opens up for people, none can withhold it. And whatever He withholds, none but Him can release it. For He is the Almighty, All-Wise.
    RIP
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; February 10, 2023 at 09:56 AM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII