Thread: How do you normally fight a battle if you are fight from inside a camp?

Default How do you normally fight a battle if you are fight from inside a camp?

If you are the one who waits for the enemy from a camp, how do you normally fight the battle? In my case it depends if the enemy has numerical advantage over me or not.
    If it hasn't or just an insignificant advantage, the enemy normally comes from only one same direction. I just put a few units in the front entrance to hold the enemy off. I disable fire at will on my range units. I choose their targets: first I aim at the enemy range units if I can reach them from inside the camp. If I can't, I wait until all the enemy melee units pile up there in the front entrance to the camp. Then I move all my range units outside to put them either at the flanks of the enemy melee units or at their rear. And fire at wil from there. I also send my cavalry to go after the enemy range units.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How do you normally fight a battle if you are fight from inside a camp?

It depends on who I'm playing and who I'm fighting, but my tactics are usually similar to yours - hold them in place at the entrance and flank them with whichever units I have available.

Default Re: How do you normally fight a battle if you are fight from inside a camp?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It depends on who I'm playing and who I'm fighting, but my tactics are usually similar to yours - hold them in place at the entrance and flank them with whichever units I have available.
    Many make the mistake of leaving their archers or slingers in fire at will mode. That would cause unnecessary casualties to the units that are blocking the enemy from getting inside the camp. When the enemy melee units are not completely piled up yet, the range units targets should always be the enemy range units. I believe it is the best option because it gives covering fire to the melee units that are holding off the enemy at the camp front entrance and because shooting enemy melee units at their front doesn't cause serious damage to them specially if they are strong units. It would be a waste of ammunition.
    And it is very important to set your range units in guard mode so that they don't move forward when shooting.

And what do I do if the enemy outnumbers me significantly? Then enemy would likely come from at least 2 different directions. It means I'd have to block two entrances and distribute my range units equally.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 12, 2023 at 07:52 AM.

Good tips about directing the fire of your ranged units and putting them in guard mode - I've had the problem of my ranged units moving forward and ending up in a losing melee fight.

If you play as Rome, you can put your legionary units that are not fighting in testudo mode so that they protect themselves from enemy fire while the enemy melee units aren't all pile up at the front entrance yet.
    Some people are lazy for moving their range units even if all the enemy units are all piled up at the front entrance.
    What if the enemy who attacks you is Parthia with many horse archers? Would you still wait for the enemy from the camp?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 17, 2023 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Good tips about directing the fire of your ranged units and putting them in guard mode - I've had the problem of my ranged units moving forward and ending up in a losing melee fight.
    If you play DIVIDE ET IMPERA another alternative is when all the enemy melee infanty units are all piled up at the front entrance is to set your range units at "concentrated fire" mode. You set a spot where no projectile will land on any of your units such as approximately in the center of those piled up enemy units.

I treat them rather similarly to you. You want to funnel the enemy in where their numbers don't mean squat, then pelt their backs and flanks with ranged fire.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    I treat them rather similarly to you. You want to funnel the enemy in where their numbers don't mean squat, then pelt their backs and flanks with ranged fire.
    What if the enemy is a nomad faction that brings many horse archers and you are Rome or a Greek faction?

I'd counter horse archers with lots of infantry archers (ideally armoured, such as Auxiliary Syrian Archers if I'm Rome) and heavy melee infantry - and maybe some artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    What if the enemy is a nomad faction that brings many horse archers and you are Rome or a Greek faction?
    Honesty, if I'm just playing a solo campaign, I get an army of spear units with high defense and auto-resolve the steppe hordes to death. If I'm fighting the nomads, I'm not setting up a fortified camp - I'm going on the aggressive and taking the fight to their settlements.

If you find yourself in that situation, then you're going to have to hug your walls and try to get your own archers to concentrate fire and whittle down individual enemy units.

Honesty, if I'm just playing a solo campaign, I get an army of spear units with high defense and auto-resolve the steppe hordes to death. If I'm fighting the nomads, I'm not setting up a fortified camp - I'm going on the aggressive and taking the fight to their settlements.

If you find yourself in that situation, then you're going to have to hug your walls and try to get your own archers to concentrate fire and whittle down individual enemy units.
    Specially if you are a Greek faction and you fight from a camp it would be a problem because the infanrty greek units don't have the testudo mode like the legionaries. Then in this case when you are at war with a nomad faction or parthia you should make sure you have at least like 6 slingers in your army plus some thureos spears units to shoot at the enemy cavalry units.