Thread: Regular CTD on AI turn

Default Regular CTD on AI turn

Hi,
    ive updated to ver 2.35a not too long ago. (2.35 was extremly stable for me)
    by deleting the whole game and installing it again outside program files as said.

ive been getting regular CTD's upon AI turn usually around turns 3-6 with any faction...
    not during battles tohugh.

log attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Regular CTD on AI turn

Please change the log level to trace and retrigger the error, and then show the error log

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Please change the log level to trace and retrigger the error, and then show the error log
    Sorry, added.
    Attached Files Attached Files

here is an image of the last logs in the document.

Quote Originally Posted by Squad View Post
    here is an image of the last logs in the document.

seems the image did not show.

10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 290041 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 292433 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 294825 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 297217 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 299609 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 302001 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 304393 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 306785 in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_RelA> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_RelB> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_RelC> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_RelE> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_RelF> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_RelG> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Global_RelH> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0083b_Update_Allies> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0084b_Update_Enemies> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0085_Update_Religion> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0096_Increase_Global_Standing_New_Turn> fired
    10:14:39.350 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0108_Update_Untrustworthy_Factions_Minor> fired
    10:14:39.350 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/data/ui/generic/eventpics/coming_of_age.tga
    10:14:39.356 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/eventpics/coming_of_age.tga (from: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    10:14:39.356 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/eventpics/coming_of_age.tga.dds
    10:14:39.356 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/eventpics/coming_of_age.tga (from: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    10:14:39.356 [system.io] [trace] file open,,450ECEF8,223664
    10:14:39.356 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/eventpics/coming_of_age.tga (from: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    10:14:39.356 [system.io] [trace] file open,,73139D98,215545
    10:14:39.356 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/ebii/data/ui/cul_4/buildings/#cul_4_temple_of_governors_L2_constructed.tga (from: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    10:14:39.527 [system.rpt] [error] Unspecified error. Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on the EBII technical help forum.

Thank you posting these logs. There are indeed a few errors in the logs, but they're errors that are present for everyone.

Code:
    10:10:48.858 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <siege_settlement>, at line 11653, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    Attacker <sauroleader1> cannot siege settlemnt <sett_070>.

10:12:49.546 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Seleukid_Tetagmenos> 
    : PercentageUnitCategory needs a living character with an army.

when testing <PercentageUnitCategory> condition

10:12:52.762 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <if>, at line 88327, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    I_WonBattle needs a faction that was in the battle
    when testing <I_WonBattle> condition

10:14:37.080 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <console_command>, at line 44984, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    create_unit sett_096 "hellenistic infantry toxotai" 1 0 0 0
    err: cannot add unit(s) because the garrison already contains the maximum number of units
    Did you make any local modifications to your game?

Also, did you update to 2.35a R3.5? There's a post-release patch that may have fixed your issues.

Thank you posting these logs. There are indeed a few errors in the logs, but they're errors that are present for everyone.

Code:
    10:10:48.858 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <siege_settlement>, at line 11653, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    Attacker <sauroleader1> cannot siege settlemnt <sett_070>.

10:12:49.546 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Seleukid_Tetagmenos> 
    : PercentageUnitCategory needs a living character with an army.

when testing <PercentageUnitCategory> condition

10:12:52.762 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <if>, at line 88327, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    I_WonBattle needs a faction that was in the battle
    when testing <I_WonBattle> condition

10:14:37.080 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <console_command>, at line 44984, in mods/ebii/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt: 
    create_unit sett_096 "hellenistic infantry toxotai" 1 0 0 0
    err: cannot add unit(s) because the garrison already contains the maximum number of units
    Did you make any local modifications to your game?

Also, did you update to 2.35a R3.5? There's a post-release patch that may have fixed your issues.

I have not made any modifications, it is a clean install of MED2 (but i did applied the 4gb large adress aware) with 2.35 installed and than updated to 2.35a

Quote Originally Posted by Squad View Post
    I have not made any modifications, it is a clean install of MED2 (but i did applied the 4gb large adress aware) with 2.35 installed and than updated to 2.35a
    Ok, that probably means you haven't applied the R3.5 patch yet. Please check the bottom left corner of your menu screen, and see if it says "EBII 2.35a R3.5". If not, then you haven't applied the latest post-release fixes

Ok, that probably means you haven't applied the R3.5 patch yet. Please check the bottom left corner of your menu screen, and see if it says "EBII 2.35a R3.5". If not, then you haven't applied the latest post-release fixes

ohhh you are absolutly correct, didn't even notice there is a post patch fix, i thought i installed it but i was using 2.35a R1....
    thanks for pointing that out! ill update the game and see if it occurs again

now it says r3.5 but there is anotehr problem, the sound does not work, music and unit names and lines (normal sound like marching etc works)
    i also deleted the music files and launched the game which i guess forces it to generate new ones (idx and dat files) they seem to generate and have the same weight as before....

what else could cause this>? (audi settings are fine)

Please double check your audio settings. In the meantime, unfortunately you'll have to delete the idx and dat files before starting the game each time. You might be playing on a Mac, which has this issue. Please create a shortcut to where the idx and dat files are, and place the shortcut somewhere accessible. At least this way you can easily re-delete those files before launching the game. Should this not work, then you'll have redo the installation from scratch. Remember, there are 3 steps:

1. 2.35
    2. 2.35a
    3. 2.35a post-release fixes

Apologies for the constant issues, this is a bulky mod

Please double check your audio settings. In the meantime, unfortunately you'll have to delete the idx and dat files before starting the game each time. You might be playing on a Mac, which has this issue. Please create a shortcut to where the idx and dat files are, and place the shortcut somewhere accessible. At least this way you can easily re-delete those files before launching the game. Should this not work, then you'll have redo the installation from scratch. Remember, there are 3 steps:

1. 2.35
    2. 2.35a
    3. 2.35a post-release fixes

Apologies for the constant issues, this is a bulky mod
    i did double checked, also reinstalled med2 again and did a fresh install of all 3 steps, does not seem to work. even after i delete the idx and dat files.
    when i do delete them i get a crash upon launching the game and after relaunching it again the game works but with no sound.
    im playing on windows (11).

seems ill have to settle for 2.35 base version for now...

The game is supposed to crash the first time, it's the no sound that's concerning. When you installed the 2.35a post-release fixes, did you replace the old files correctly? IIRC, most unzipping software allows you to merge directories (the correct way) or replace the top level directory (DO NOT DO THIS). It's possible that you're not unzipping the post-release fixes correctly

The game is supposed to crash the first time, it's the no sound that's concerning. When you installed the 2.35a post-release fixes, did you replace the old files correctly? IIRC, most unzipping software allows you to merge directories (the correct way) or replace the top level directory (DO NOT DO THIS). It's possible that you're not unzipping the post-release fixes correctly
    I do not unzip directly to the med2 mods folder. I unzip into the downloads folder without replacing anything and after that I copy the data folder and replace everything...

That's called "replacing". It means that if the 2.35a patch doesn't include a file as in the base game, it will completely delete it. So please instead of doing it that way, use an unzipping software like WinRAR to "extract to directory". This process will intelligently merge only the files in the zipped folder with the destination folder. I think that because you did it the "replacing" way, the sound files got deleted

That's called "replacing". It means that if the 2.35a patch doesn't include a file as in the base game, it will completely delete it. So please instead of doing it that way, use an unzipping software like WinRAR to "extract to directory". This process will intelligently merge only the files in the zipped folder with the destination folder. I think that because you did it the "replacing" way, the sound files got deleted

so ive done a small research, clean med2 install and than the mod with all the steps.
    seems the problem is with my hardware or thats atleast what i think...

i tried this on my PC - works fine!
    on my laptop (razer blade) however is where it keeps crushing or no sound or many other problems...

so i guess its a hardware optimization thing...

That's odd. Is your laptop running an old or new Windows version? Or should you update your laptop's graphics drivers?

That's odd. Is your laptop running an old or new Windows version? Or should you update your laptop's graphics drivers?
    runs updated windows 11, with updated graphics drivers...

it is odd.....but i can't think of anything else that may cause this...after several retries with clean installs...

Aha, it's a very new Windows version. Please see this article on how to run very old games like M2TW on a very new OS
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-a1e50942e9b3
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...y-Medieval-II)
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...and-windows-10

Basically, please open the "properties" window of your M2TW executable and change the Compatibility Mode to Windows 7, and always run as administrator