Thread: How to replace two-handed animations in vanilla/Kingdoms with the ones from Stainless Steel?

Icon5 How to replace two-handed animations in vanilla/Kingdoms with the ones from Stainless Steel?

I tried figuring it out myself, but starting from scratch I am still struggling. It seems there are a lot of changes need to be made. For now what I am guessing is that animations and skeletons need to be unpacked, and existing ones in vanilla/Kingdoms replaced with the ones from SS; then packed again. Idk if descr_skeletons needs editing, Kingdoms file has things that SS is missing, and SS replaced some things that vanilla and Kingdoms have. Also, in SS animations folder there are subfolders (before unpacking) that are also inside animations pack.dat (when unpacked) - they seem to be adding some stuff too, but they are not packed.

All in all - I am mighty confused, and need some direction. Please help.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Default Re: How to replace two-handed animations in vanilla/Kingdoms with the ones from Stainless Steel?

I think that if you want to make any changes to your game it's probably best to download bare geomod and make your changes there. Here is a guide for merging animations from a different mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...different-mods

Default Re: How to replace two-handed animations in vanilla/Kingdoms with the ones from Stainless Steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    I think that if you want to make any changes to your game it's probably best to download bare geomod and make your changes there. Here is a guide for merging animations from a different mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...different-mods
    Thank you! I will check it out.

I checked it out, and instructions in that tutorial are not clear about how to replace animations, despite having "merge" in the title.

Patrician

I wrote a step by step guide. It's for a slinger animation in EB2 but you can apply it to the animation you want.

1. Create a folder named workshop somewhere in your drive or on your desktop
    2. Inside your workshop folder create a folder named mymod and inside that folder create a pack
    folder and a skeleton folder
    3. Go to your mod folder inside your data/animations folder copy the pack.dat and pack.idx files
    and paste them in your workshop/mymod/pack folder. Do the same thing with your skeletons.dat
    and skeletons.idx but paste them in your workshop/mymod/skeleton folder.
    4. Inside your workshop folder create a folder named eb2 and inside that folder create a pack folder
    and a skeleton folder
    5. Go to the EB2 mod folder inside data/animations folder copy the pack.dat and pack.idx files
    and paste them in your workshop/eb2/pack folder. Do the same thing with your skeletons.dat and
    skeletons.idx but paste them in your workshop/eb2/skeleton folder
    6. Open the zarathos modeler toolbox 0.6, click the arrow and navigate to
    Animation/Skeletons tools
    7. Press Unpack DAT and navigate to your workshop/mymod/pack folder, click pack.dat and
    open. It should show a message listing how many files you unpacked. Do the same thing with the
    skeletons.dat file inside workshop/mymod/skeleton folder.
    8. Press Unpack DAT and navigate to your workshop/eb2/pack folder, click pack.dat and open. It
    should show a message listing how many files you unpacked. Do the same thing with the
    skeletons.dat file inside workshop/eb2/skeleton folder.
    9. Navigate to workshop/eb2/pack/mods/EBII/data/animations copy the EB_slinger folders.
    Navigate to workshop/mymod/pack/mods/devkit/data/animations and paste the folders.
    10. Navigate to workshop/eb2/pack folder and open the pack.list using Notepad++, find all the
    lines containing EB_slinger, copy them. Navigate to workshop/mymod/pack folder and open
    pack.list using Notepad++, scroll down to the end of the list and paste all the EB_slinger lines.
    11. The path will be incorrect, select the name of the mod folder (EBII) and press ctrl+F go to the
    replace tab and write your mod folder name (devkit) in the "Replace with" box. Click the Replace
    All button.
    12. Navigate to workshop/eb2/skeleton copy the EB_slinger files (there are 4 of them) Navigate to
    workshop/mymod/skeleton and paste the files.
    13. Navigate to workshop/eb2/skeleton folder and open the skeleton.list using Notepad++, find all
    the lines containing EB_slinger, copy them. Navigate to workshop/mymod/skeleton folder and
    open skeleton.list using Notepad++, scroll down to the end of the list and paste all the EB_slinger
    lines.
    14. Navigate to workshop/mymod/skeleton. Open the EB_slinger skeleton file using Notepad++.
    Identify a line with a file path, select the name of the mod folder (EBII) and press ctrl+F go to the
    replace tab and write your mod folder name (devkit) in the "Replace with" box. Click the Replace
    All button. Do this to the other slinger skeleton files.
    15. Open the zarathos modeler toolbox once more if you closed it, navigate to
    Animation/Skeletons tools and press the pack DAT button.
    16. Navigate to your workshop/mymod/pack folder and open the pack.list file and press open, do
    the same with the skeletons.list file inside your mymod/skeleton folder.
    17. Inside your pack folder you should have a pack pack.created.dat and a pack.created.idx and
    your original files which you should keep as a backup, same with skeletons.created.dat and
    skeletons.created.idx.
    18. Copy pack.created.dat, pack.created.idx, skeletons.created.dat and skeletons.created.idx
    and paste them in your mod's data/animations folder
    19. Delete pack.dat, pack.idx, skeletons.dat and skeletons.idx and remove .created from the
    names of pack.created.dat, pack.created.idx, skeletons.created.dat and skeletons.created.idx
    Last edited by Louis Lux; January 02, 2023 at 04:06 PM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by trueman11 View Post
    I checked it out, and instructions in that tutorial are not clear about how to replace animations, despite having "merge" in the title.
    That guide is 100% about getting one animation from a mod, SS 6.3 in his example, to your own mod. You just need to follow the guide and trust the process. If you get stuck in a particular step I can guide you through it.

That guide is 100% about getting one animation from a mod, SS 6.3 in his example, to your own mod. You just need to follow the guide and trust the process. If you get stuck in a particular step I can guide you through it.
    Hi again. I finally want to try and follow your instructions and replace two-handed animations in Kingdoms Teutonic campaign with the ones from Stainless Steel. And I have a question: for the animations to be replaced correctly in Kingdoms Teutonic, do I have to replace them in vanilla data/animations folder too?

Thanks for your input and help, btw.

Patrician

No. You need to make your changes to the animation files inside your Medieval II Total War\mods\teutonic\data\animations folder.