Thread: Help with Testing Guard Mode Off Phalanx-Users

Default Help with Testing Guard Mode Off Phalanx-Users

So here's my personal mod, and thanks to that guy who posted down there, I was snapped out of my sloth and actually updated it. Guards mode are off and phalanxes are nerfed by 2 attack, because without that nerf they're too strong. Don't believe me? Don't use the export descr unit file and just play with their original stats. In custom battle, use a regular phalanx vs three marian cohorts, or three spartiatai. If you don't delete it, know that the phalanx automatically is 8 men deep, to make your lives less hard, and to make sure ai on the offence when they contract their infantry for attack, don't make their phalanxes too narrow. Cheers and use my mod!!

P.S. Unless my nostalgia is killing my ability to compare between this and the older eb2 version...I think the devs fixed the ghosting issue and the integrity of the phalanx!!! Thank you devs and please try out my mod. The phalanx is a beast (that had to be nerfed for balance) and the ai are actually threatening when they use it (pyrrhus' battle line broke mine in the center, forget his easily repulsed elephants, his mercenary phalangites chewed through my middle!!).

P.P.S. Please help me on my character trait trigger issues, I'm going slightly insane...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Pooploop; March 12, 2024 at 07:26 AM.

Default Re: Help with Testing Guard Mode Off Phalanx-Users

How did you remove the guard mode? I deleted the lines in the script at the bottom but on the campaign battle the phalanx still has it on? I would download your submod but I don't know if it's compatible with 2.4.

Don't bother with my submod mate. It doesn't work. Not releasing anything, but try a hand at modifying descr_formations_ai and getting rid of the entire defend line under every line that says "phalanx". Another suggestion is to also try modifying export_descr_unit and change default depth of all units that can form phalanxes into 8 and subtract 2 to their attack. The depth thing is to compensate for ai behavior that increases the depth and narrows the width of their infantry formations when they go into attack (so their attacking phalanxes become 10 men deep, still wide enough that they don't get flanked easily) and the attack thing is for game balance, phalanxes with guard mode off are too powerful. This is not an exaggeration, without the minus 2 to their attack, regular, mercenary, and especially agema phalangites are capable of single-handedly steamrolling any other unit, even at a 2 to 1 disadvantage. Marian legionaries get crushed so thoroughly that if eb2 were real history, rome would never have expanded past illyria.

Also, still delete all guard_mode MAu1 (this specific phrase) lines in campaign script so that even if you fight a sallying garrison or get ambushed, all phalanxes have their guard modes OFF. Try deleting the two lines encasing that section of guard_mode MAu1 in campaign script, you'll get it if you see it (as it is part of a command).
    Last edited by Pooploop; March 12, 2024 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently playing Macedon right now and not a fan of the vanilla mod way of phalanx so was looking for alternatives.
    Will give the changes a go.

welshy, updated my mod, thanks to your questions. Try it please.

I can confirm that the changes made on descr_formations_ai did the trick for removing guard mode for the AI.