Thread: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.24 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 1.5.2023]

Default Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.24 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 1.5.2023]

Dumb Supply System Beta Ver. 0.2 (originally made for Citizen Hoplites Mod - now wip) is a simplified supply system which is basically intended to provide a Total War Rome 2 vanilla Campaigns of some more realistic mechanic, applying them a system where armies and fleets are involved in a dynamic balance of consumption/accumulation of food supplies (with good or bad effects, depending on the food supplies values themselves) according to local conditions (like the region type) or to quantitative conditions (like the army size). The system works for AI and player too and It affects armies and navies, with some different mechanics or effects (for AI the penalties will result less hard for reason of global game balancing). The DSS beta ver. 0.2 is not a complete or finished project and it will be released for collective testing purpose.

Update 1.5.2023: Info and screenshost at #12 post of this thread (happy International Workers Day to everyone! )
    Update 13.3.2023: Info and screenshot at #11 post of this thread.
    Update 5.3.2023: Info and screenshot at #10 post of this thread.
    Update 8.2.2023: Info and screenshot at #9 post of this thread.
    Update 27.1.2023: DSS Beta Ver. 0.24 at #6 post of this thread.
    Update 12.1.2023: DSS Beta Ver. 0.23 at #5 post of this thread.
    Update 8.1.2023: Info and screenshots at #4 post of this thread.
    Update 5.1.2023: DSS Beta Ver. 0.22 released. Info at #3 post of this thread.
    Update 3.1.2023: DSS Beta Ver. 0.21 released. Info at #2 post of this thread.

General Advertise: the mod's general check is triggered at every end turn, so some effects could be delayed of 1 turn when a faction changes his diplomatic stance towards player in the game period between end turn and start turn. In the next releases more check for different game moments will be added.
    At the first turn (and only at this) of every campaign game, human player and ai, armies and navies, benefit of global + 36 food supplies wherever they are.

More specifical: The Dumb Supply System provides a simplified supply system to the Total War Rome 2 campaigns, so ai's and player's armies and navies will need food supplies to preserve integrity and to avoid starvation and attrition. In particular land armies will consume their food supplies in foreign lands or at the sea, and they will consume instead food from faction's total food staying in owned regions. If armies or navies remain in hostile zone, without supplies, then they will suffer starvation and attrition.

Download Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2907981870

Mod Rules:

Supply Levels for Armies and Navies:
    Reserves full of food supplies level : +15 to army's morale and 36/36 supplies gathered;
    High Supplies Level : +10 to army's morale and from 35 to 25 supplies gathered;
    Medium Supplies Level : +5 to army's morale and from 24 to 6 supplies gathered;
    Low Supplies Level : -5 to army's morale and from 5 to 1 supplies gathered;
    Starvation: Attrition for all units in the army or navy and - 30 morale for all units;

Land Army:
    in owned land (not food shortage) : +18 food supplies per turn;
    in owned region (food shortage) : lost food supplies because they were redistributed among people and not food
    supplies per turn are gathered until food shortage last;
    in foreign lands or at sea : -2 (for small armies), -3 (for medium armies), -4 (for large armies) food supplies per turn;
    in allied region (no food shortage) : +9 food supplies per turn; \\n\\n in allied region (food shortage) : army will
    consume his own supplies (if present) and no supplies will be gathered until the food shortage last;

Armies' food consumption in owned region:
    small army in owned region : -0.5 foods to faction's total food
    medium army in owned region : -1 foods to faction's total food
    large army in owned region : -2 foods to faction's total food

Armies Movement's Penalties:
    Light Movement's Penalty : -5 Army's campaign movements because of little amount of supplies carried
    Medium Movement's Penalty : -10 Army's campaign movements because of medium amount of supplies carried
    Large Movement's Penalty : -20 Army's campaign movements because of high amount of supplies carried

Fleets:
    in port : + 36 food supplies per turn;
    not in port : -2 per turn;

Turns In Navigation for Navies Effects:
    Fleet in excellent conditions : + 10 morale for all units and + 10 to units' battle speed;
    Fleet in sufficient conditions : -5 morale for all units and -15 to units' battle speed;
    Fleet must recover : -10 morale for all units and -30 units' battle speed;

These are the general basic rules composing the mod. Anyway more other effects are included in the mod (like local effects and the food surplus from private markets factional effects).

The Dumb Supply System (beta ver. 0.2) is still an incomplete project and it has been released for testing and sharing purpose.

Mod Limits: because that's a non complete and still experimental project, i don't know yet if everything will work perfecty for every campaigns. I have hardly tested the mod in these months, but it's possible that some bugs could have evaded my attention.

For now the Dumb Supply System is not fully compatible with the main Rome and Caesar in Gaul campaigns (in the mod pack these campaigns are playable, but some scripted effects and missions are disabled) (to fix in the next release)

For now the starvation effect's red skull icon above the head of character will remain visible also when the starvation effect will be removed, if character takes sea while suffering starvation or character is at sea while suffering starvation and takes land. To fix in game it takes to move the character to the sea (if bug present on land) or to the land (if bug present at sea). Anyway this glitch does not affect the armies' integrity and you can ever check among the character's
    effects if starvation is active or not.

For now the Dumb Supply System fully affects the ai, but for non-human characters there will not be the checkfornewcqi function, so some supplies values, when an ai character dies, will risult incoherent (to fix in the next release)

For now the raiding stances are not tracked by this mod (to fix in the future)

FIXED - For now the mod sees the client/vassal state as foreign land (not allied for supplies gathering)

FIXED - For now if 2 or more characters died in the same turn, it's possible to have some confusional (but not incoherent) results (this problem at the moment is only theoretical and anyway it would not break the mod)

Credits: this mod use the fundamental and unsurpassed armystate/armystateregion/checkfornewcqi techqnique as created by the greatest Litharion, Magnar, Causeless and Mitch in Peoples of Rome 2 Mod, that i learned and adapted to the DSS, so i have to thank them so much. Furthermore i have learned some lua grammar by studying the divine DEI scripts and Peoples of Rome 2. Also i have to say that at starting of my modding activity i have learned about everything was needed to build a mod on the rich Total War Center Forums (i have to specifically thank Jake Armitage, who provided me of every tools useful to mod and for his scripting tutorials and creations). If i missed someone, just tell me and i'll add a further quote.

By Trasibulos from Total War Center

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.2 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released 28.12.2022]

Update 3.1.2023: hi @everyone, beta ver. 0.21 released - fixed the mod's limitation according to which the mod didn't recognise client/vassal faction's regions as allied (so armies consumed food supplies like in foreign lands). Now added a new function to check diplomatic status, abandoning the :allied_with() function (for now the function is restricted to human player because i have to do more tests - Furthermore i added some "bonus values" for AI navies, for increase global game balance;
    Download link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2907981870

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.21 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released 3.1.2023]

Update 5.1.2023 beta ver 0.22 - Furtherly developed the new function for checking the client/vassal factions (not recognised by the classical "allied_with()" function; now the function is able to check the silent changes of diplomatic status; the allied effects in client/vassal states are now more stable and the results seems globally coherent (but further testing is needed) - New bonuses for AI = since now AI land armies will gather +36 (instead of +18) food supplies by staying in owned regions and +18 (instead of +9) food supplies by staying in allied regions; since now AI navies will consume -1 food (instead of -2) supplies per turn;

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.22 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released 5.1.2023]

Update 8.1.2023: Hi everyone! I've thought to add a new feature to the mod; specifically a new function will check the distance of the character from the owned cities (allied cities to be added) and another new sub-function will check the settlement (owned and allied - allied to be added) most near to character. All this stuff has been developed to simulate a simplified "supply-lines" system, giving to armies, more or less near to the nearest friendly city, a proportional additional food supplies replenishment, also if in foreign lands. If distance from the nearest friendly settlement will grow too high, then the supply-line will result broken and army will continue with his own food reserves. Not decided yet if it will be useful or if it will only make the mod too heavy. Anyway i've tried to make all the job in the simplest way for any ipothetical user. This feature is not yet released because more testing is need. It will be released with DSS beta ver 0.3.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.22 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 8.1.2023]

Update 12.1.2023 beta ver 0.23 - permanently fixed the mod's limitations according to which the mod didn't recognise client/vassal faction's regions as allied(so armies consumed food supplies like in foreign lands). Now result are coherent in every campaign and in every region after fixing a "bug" in checking some diplomatic stances; for this i've furtherly developed the new function to solve the problem:
    now working VassalClientFactions() (local function) used to check the factions diplomatic status at every turn end (so a 1 turn delay could occurr if a faction changes his diplomatic status versus player, while army is in region of this faction - for example when the owning faction of the region where an army stays, declares war on you after end turn). The function substitutes the previous AlliedFactions(), which has proved unstable, working just when the target faction had just 1 treaty versus player (in reality this issue happened because a previous wrong logical interpretation of mine in function). Function can be developed up to check every diplomatic stance, but at the moment i need only clients and vassals; new project about supply lines is not released with this version.

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.23 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 12.1.2023]

Update 27.1.2023 beta ver 0.24 - finally fixed the bug occurring when 2 or more armies changed general at the same time. Now, when this circumstance occurrs, there will be no more confusional effects (like 0 supplies) and all the values will be correctly loaded.

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.24 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 27.1.2023]

Good work, mate!

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.24 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 27.1.2023]

Thanks so much Maximinus Thrax

Update 8.2.2023
    Hi all! I hope everything is good for everyone. The last weeks were sadly spent in facing a huge amount of work (for the most: dismissal appeals! Death to capitalism! ). Anyway i need some relax, so i'm returned tonight to modding. Something i'm working to (and it's already working). In the picture the Spartan Ai army is "trapped" in Euboia region while Athenians forces are blocking his supply line from the allied city of Thebai, the nearest supplying center in the macro area. New features added: 1) dynamic supply lines chaining armies to the nearest owned or allied cities providing food supplies to armies themselves; 2) if an enemy army (not at sea or navies) stays in the virtually limited area between army and his supplying allied or owned city then the supply line will be broken and the owned army will not receive any supplies from the nearest allied or owned city, so it will continue his path consuming his own food supplies, if present; 3) general check for the "besieged" condition: if an army is besieged it will start to consume his own supplies until depleted them, instead if a city is besieged then it will not more provide supplies to the near owned or allied armies; 4) now by staying in allied lands, an owned faction's army will take food (not food supplies, but food from food's faction, according to army size) from allied faction owning the region, instead if an allied force remains in owned faction's land, it will consume the owned faction's food, according to his size; 5) a lot of new effects added to the new conditions; 6) global balance of previous effects' values. More features are in becoming. Anyway these features will be released in a new project, associated to Dumb Supply System but with a totally new mechanic which substitute the old "region effects" (effects gained by staying in a certain type of region) with new dynamic effects based on virtual supply lines. Anyway because this is just an experimental project , the Dumb Supply System Mod's development will remain active (as i intend to pass some new feature to DSS, preserving his easy game interface) so i will continue to work on DSS and update it when it's needed. If someone would give me any suggestion, she or he, is welcome. P.s. because the most of the new structural mod lua functions execute a lot of checks for a big amount of conditions, not directly covered by the built-in functions of the game, of course more testing is needed!

I think it could be a sort of Not So Dumb Supply System

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.24 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 8.2.2023]

Hi all! Some news. Developing a supply-lines system based on distance from nearest friendly city: decreased the number of effect_bundle icons (now there will be only 4 type of ui icons: regional effect, supply line effect, supply level, consumption balance per turn). Added some new feature like the consumption balance (to help in tracking the food supplies consumption) or the "Foraging Stance" (to partially re-supply in enemy regions for the first 3 turns). As it's possible to see, in the screenshots it has been used the new Supply-Lines System (not the previous DSS) based on distance and on dynamic values. Effects have been globally rebalanced.

Here some screenshots:

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.24 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 5.3.2023]

Hi All! Benefiting of some some free times, i've built a new function ("recruitDistance"), to add a new feature to the dynamic supply-lines system i'm developing, regarding a time differentiation in recruitment in or out of owned settlements. Despite the "recruit_time_mod_land" effect is chained uniquely to province (because the recruitment system is province based), the new mechanic, by the function i've quoted, will make the effect works differently for each character. So if a character is in a settlement his recruitment time will have not penalty; instead if the character is out of settlement then his recruitment time will have a +1 turn penalty. This check (according to game recruitment logic) will be real-time (not checked at turnstart or turnend). For now this real-time check will affect only the "regional effects" and not the "distance effects". It's tested, well performing and fully working. I just hope it will not be too harsh

in the first screenshot (in this case from empire divided campaign) it's possible to see that the "Auxiliary Germanic Axe Warriors" needs 1 turn to recruit when character is in city;

in the second screenshot the same unit ("Auxiliary Germanic Axe Warriors") needs 2 turns to be recruited, because it's out of the city;

in the further screenshots the units were recruited with different recruiting times and finally after a turn the army out of the city will continue recruiting the unit of the previous turn (cause it need 2 turns) while the army in the city has already completed the recruiting operations

Default Re: Dumb Supply System beta ver. 0.24 for Total War Rome 2 Campaigns [released - Update 13.3.2023]

Hi all! Developing a "Force Supplies Panel" for new DSS. The ui panel will be shown as the mouse is on the character's action points bar. Of course more infos and data have to be added and the city names have to be corrected (p.s. the distance measure in stadion - it should be "stadia" but no problem- is scale accurate)