Thread: Hypothetical question regarding faction cap.

Foederatus

Default Hypothetical question regarding faction cap.

Just curious me asking a VERY hypothetical question.

If somehow at some point the hardcoded faction cap limitation was to be circumvented, would replacing the generic "rebel" Eleutheroi faction with multiple actual - albeit non playable - minor factions ever be up for discussion? Or would it simply not be feasible even without the current limitation in place?

Apologies if this has been asked many times before. I tried poking around old threads a bit but couldn't find any similar questions.

Default Re: Hypothetical question regarding faction cap.

To my knowledge, in M2TW it is not possible to exceed a certain number of factions due to the issue of 'available slots'.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mattus View Post
    To my knowledge, in M2TW it is not possible to exceed a certain number of factions due to the issue of 'available slots'.
    Please read his post again.It's not even that long and you couldn't even read the second sentence.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    Please read his post again.It's not even that long and you couldn't even read the second sentence.
    No need to get testy. Replacing the Eleutheroi faction with dozens of non-playable factions is not an option. This isn't Shogun II (where the Last Alliance mod can do that). This is M2TW, with severe hardcoded limitations. I thought everyone already understood this? There is barely enough room for more factions as it is. Just look at the campaign map and compare it to how many factions existed in vanilla M2TW (and the Kingdoms expansion pack).

If you play on Hard campaign mode and above, each rebel region and its local roving stack behaves like a non-playable faction. Their rebel stacks are strong, move around, and may even besiege your settlements on Hard and above. Sadly, they can't attack each other, unless you do something like RSII where there are two different rebel factions, and they're scattered and mixed with each other to simulate historical rivalries between certain regions. They'll even attack and conquer each other

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    No need to get testy. Replacing the Eleutheroi faction with dozens of non-playable factions is not an option. This isn't Shogun II (where the Last Alliance mod can do that). This is M2TW, with severe hardcoded limitations. I thought everyone already understood this? There is barely enough room for more factions as it is. Just look at the campaign map and compare it to how many factions existed in vanilla M2TW (and the Kingdoms expansion pack).

Yes I am very much aware that it is not possible as things are now with the current limitations in place. However, with the seemingly very quite probable prospect of a Medieval II remaster some time in the future, we might finally see some of these hardcoded caps removed. Just like they were in Rome remastered. Hence my question, which I want to stress again was purely hypothetical.

And yes, I also realize that the question of EBII migrating over to a possible remaster also is very much up in the air and something that very well might not even happen. But I thought it would be interesting to ask the question nonetheless.
    Last edited by Ecke; December 08, 2022 at 01:23 PM.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    If you play on Hard campaign mode and above, each rebel region and its local roving stack behaves like a non-playable faction. Their rebel stacks are strong, move around, and may even besiege your settlements on Hard and above. Sadly, they can't attack each other, unless you do something like RSII where there are two different rebel factions, and they're scattered and mixed with each other to simulate historical rivalries between certain regions. They'll even attack and conquer each other
    I am actually really quite pleased with how EBII handles "minor factions". The devs have done a fantastic job considering the shortcomings of the engine. But I think we all can agree that having "true" factions that could engage in diplomacy and war with eachother and the player would be a fun and interesting experience also. Even if it is just a pipe dream.
    Last edited by Ecke; December 08, 2022 at 01:33 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Ecke View Post
    Yes I am very much aware that it is not possible as things are now with the current limitations in place. However, with the seemingly very quite probable prospect of a Medieval II remaster some time in the future, we might finally see some of these hardcoded caps removed. Just like they were in Rome remastered. Hence my question, which I want to stress again was purely hypothetical.

And yes, I also realize that the question of EBII migrating over to a possible remaster also is very much up in the air and something that very well might not even happen. But I thought it would be interesting to ask the question nonetheless.
    Not sure if that's going to happen, but I would imagine the EBII team jumping on the opportunity to exploit any lifting of hardcoded limits in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    That's awesome! It would certainly make things a bit more interesting in EBII if possible.

A bit of potential necromancy but I would add the following.

If Europa Barbarorum would go to Rome: Total War 2 or Attila: Total War I would get totally crazy and play it until my eyes bled and fingers were down to the bones. Not only in regards to minor factions but other updates like automated reinforcements, automated garrisons and so on that it would be a gift from heaven.

I understand this isn't going to happen because from what I've heard total conversions are not possible in those two games, but we can dream about it anyway.

Senator

Then play Rome 2, it already has large mods like DeI .The newer games are garbage and starting over and wasting all the work done in Med2 would a terrible idea.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkhal View Post
    A bit of potential necromancy but I would add the following.

If Europa Barbarorum would go to Rome: Total War 2 or Attila: Total War I would get totally crazy and play it until my eyes bled and fingers were down to the bones. Not only in regards to minor factions but other updates like automated reinforcements, automated garrisons and so on that it would be a gift from heaven.

I understand this isn't going to happen because from what I've heard total conversions are not possible in those two games, but we can dream about it anyway.
    That's an entirely new project, not merely a "conversion", not least because it's a different engine. I don't think there's much appetite in the team to start again.

I could play Rome: Total War 2 but I think that Europa Barbarorum 2 is even better. So I'd rather play Europa Barbarorum 2.

I know it would be an, almost entirely new project as research and such would probably not need to be redone, but with "conversion" I meant that it was a total conversion kind of mod. Not that it wouldn't be an entire project to bring Europa Barbarorum to Rome: Total War 2.

Just because I think that a few aspects of Rome: Total War 2 and Attila: Total War are better done than in Rome: Total War and the expansion Barbarian Invasion, and Medieval: Total War 2, doesn't prevent me from thinking that EU2 is better than them all.