Thread: Concerning Bodyguard Replenishment

Default Concerning Bodyguard Replenishment

Many of my generals which have lost members of their bodyguard in battle don't really get many or any of them back. I have multiple generals who seem stuck in the teens regarding bodyguard count and don't replenish back up to the 20s. My question is how exactly these bodyguard sizes are replenished in-game and if the player can try and influence the process through traits and whatnot.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Concerning Bodyguard Replenishment

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardDuck View Post
    Many of my generals which have lost members of their bodyguard in battle don't really get many or any of them back. I have multiple generals who seem stuck in the teens regarding bodyguard count and don't replenish back up to the 20s. My question is how exactly these bodyguard sizes are replenished in-game and if the player can try and influence the process through traits and whatnot.
    Frankly speaking, I personally don't know. Maybe @Gigantus would tell, or somebody versed in this part of the game.

Default Re: Concerning Bodyguard Replenishment

Bodyguard size is influenced by the generals PersonalSecurity level, which is affected by certain traits and ancillaries. Personal Security also decreases the chance of a character being assassinated. Bodyguard size is also increased substantially for faction heirs, and substantially more for faction leaders. In Rome Total War a generals Influence would increase the bodyguard size as well but there is nothing like this in Medieval 2 Total War.

It is also possible to affect Bodyguard size by adding an attribute BodyguardSize to certain traits and ancillaries in the files (export_descr_character_traits and export_descr_ancillaries), but I do not believe that this mod does that.

Bodyguards will always regenerate to at least 10 men and to at most 78 men on huge unit scale. The Engine Overhaul Project removes this limitation.