Thread: Want to start 3d Modeling- Milkshape or Blender?

Default Want to start 3d Modeling- Milkshape or Blender?

I am at the point where I want to start 3d modeling stuff (starting with Strat Map trade icons) but I am wondering whether I should shell out for Milkshape or try to make do with Blender. I dabbled a bit with some freeware 3d modeling back in 2012 but I'm basically starting from scratch again, and the entire process seems quite intimidating, particularly given that I'm simply trying to add in a few new trade resources right now plus some unit doctoring (I do want to eventually make custom models for settlements but that's a very long-term process). Any advice would be appreciated.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Want to start 3d Modeling- Milkshape or Blender?

Milkshape is like a tricycle for babies, it's good to get you in the spirit of 3d modelling and even that is nowhere near as easy as playing a game.
    Blender is a consummate suit with everything (or almost everything) you will need to make state of the art graphics, though the learning curve is a lot steeper and goes on for a lot longer.
    For M2TW, I don't think you will be able to make graphics that benefit from the abilities of Blender, though I cannot be sure with what is happening with the latest version of Rome: TW.
    Try modifying an existing model with Milkshape just to get into the spirit of things and then decide for yourself.

I would suggest jumping straight into Blender and skipping Milkshape entirely.

The reason Milkshape is a staple in the M2 modding community is because, up until a couple years ago, it was the only tool we had to do lots of things. By now, IWTE has made it possible to do pretty much everything in Blender. There may be something really niche people are still using Milkshape for, but I can't think of what it is off the top of my head.

Milkshape isn't even really a modeling program, it's more of a viewer. Once you have experience with an actual modeler like Blender, 3ds Max, Maya, etc. you will understand what a joke Milkshape is and how frustrating, and in many cases impossible, it is to use for actual 3D work. I would call Milkshape a middleware app. It's primary use is importing/exporting a variety of game-specific formats because people wrote converters for those games ~15 years ago. Don't ask me why people wrote converters for middleware like Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap 3D (apparently still used by the ETW community); I guess people used to think Blender had too steep a learning curve. The whole situation with these sorts of apps is pretty messed up in my opinion because the apps themselves are essentially just the most basic possible viewing/editing tools that were probably pulled from public repositories and a compendium of converters that were written for free mostly by modders. Then they turn around and try to charge people money for this joke of an app so that modders can have access to the converters and work on their favorite games. It seems very scummy to me especially when full blown development platforms like Blender are completely free.

So yeah, I'd strongly recommend not paying for Milkshape and just using Blender which is extremely intuitive, much more so than Milkshape in my opinion, and will give you the tools you need further down the road.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

While I don't recommend doing any actual modelling in milkshape, doing basic things like unit doctoring is a lot easier in milkshape. I disagree that blender is more intuitive in terms of editing, groups, comments, materials, texture and vertex assignments.

I've dealt with new modders trying to do basic things in blender and they get confused very easily.

On the other hand, the more advanced the modding you are trying to do becomes the more attractive the prospect of learning blender becomes. So IMO, for basic stuff stick to milkshape, for custom made 3d models, settlements, animations use IWTE and blender.