Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hastati Logic

  1. #1

    Default Hastati Logic

    As the title suggests, I've been curious as to the thinking behind giving Roman Hastati a sword instead of a spear. It is my understanding that "Hasta" is the Latin word for spear, hence "Hastati" would refer to men who use spears. This is no criticism, as I'm just wondering what the reasons for it were.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hastati Logic

    There are a lot of misconceptions about history most of it are lies written by jesuit templar orders. Barbaroi for example means bearded men, but people take from greeco-roman catholic context and say "barbaric" "uncivilised". So another lie. We now find that caledonians and scots and Picts have scythian-sarmato blood groups and probably migrated from Ukraine lands to live there running from something. They were also ruled by Egyptinian princess "Scotta" wich went there by a boat. Hence the scotish tittle origins for people. Many lies about many cultures from roman catholics. "Keltoi" for example from ancient aryan language means "to move by" or " to settle through". You can see this "pathway of migration from Ukraine-Black Sea to Iberian Peninsula. Take notice of gold and jewelry work how simillar in crafting that goes from Scytho-sarmatian crafts to "keltoi" crafts all the way to Britan and Spain. Also notice how all these people are amazing horse lords/riders.( Iberians, Kelto-Iberians, Gauls, Germans, Belgians, Boii,Sarmato- Scythians). Make no mistake all these people and tribes once lived in one place. They are all migrants. According to blood types Greco-romans , Carthaginians are all jews and stem from jewish tribes from Levantine/Tyre city. So a lot of misteries and lies about everything. Don t be surprised when "something does not fit the narrative" about history.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hastati Logic

    maybe they had a spear when the legions fought in greek style phalanx, sometime later they dropped it but the name stuck. or the name hasta relates to the javelin they were armed with.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hastati Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardDuck View Post
    As the title suggests, I've been curious as to the thinking behind giving Roman Hastati a sword instead of a spear. It is my understanding that "Hasta" is the Latin word for spear, hence "Hastati" would refer to men who use spears. This is no criticism, as I'm just wondering what the reasons for it were.
    They used to be armed with spears in times before EB2's timeline. The primary weapon changed to swords, but the name remained. Tradition, I guess.

  5. #5
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    15,007

    Default Re: Hastati Logic

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    They used to be armed with spears in times before EB2's timeline. The primary weapon changed to swords, but the name remained. Tradition, I guess.
    The funny/ironic part is that the Camillan era Principes are armed with spears, but the Polybian era ones simply have swords like their Hastati counterparts. The Triarii are tough little armored guys, but they're so few in number that it becomes a problem fighting against heavy cavalry. That's why the Roman army often needs allied/auxiliary spearmen units to support them on the battlefield.

    Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    There are a lot of misconceptions about history most of it are lies written by jesuit templar orders. Barbaroi for example means bearded men, but people take from greeco-roman catholic context and say "barbaric" "uncivilised". So another lie. We now find that caledonians and scots and Picts have scythian-sarmato blood groups and probably migrated from Ukraine lands to live there running from something. They were also ruled by Egyptinian princess "Scotta" wich went there by a boat. Hence the scotish tittle origins for people. Many lies about many cultures from roman catholics. "Keltoi" for example from ancient aryan language means "to move by" or " to settle through". You can see this "pathway of migration from Ukraine-Black Sea to Iberian Peninsula. Take notice of gold and jewelry work how simillar in crafting that goes from Scytho-sarmatian crafts to "keltoi" crafts all the way to Britan and Spain. Also notice how all these people are amazing horse lords/riders.( Iberians, Kelto-Iberians, Gauls, Germans, Belgians, Boii,Sarmato- Scythians). Make no mistake all these people and tribes once lived in one place. They are all migrants. According to blood types Greco-romans , Carthaginians are all jews and stem from jewish tribes from Levantine/Tyre city. So a lot of misteries and lies about everything. Don t be surprised when "something does not fit the narrative" about history.

    Uh, do you know how unhinged this post sounds?

    The question was about Roman hastati having spears or swords, not conspiracy theories involving genetics and migratory population movements. In either case, the thing that connects most of the peoples you mentioned are the Indo-European roots of most European cultures, in which genetics plays a more minor role but has been largely static since even the Bronze Age (for instance, population groups in Greece and Italy retain largely the same genome as their ancient Bronze Age ancestors). With that being said, LOL, Scottish people aren't related directly to Iranian speaking Scythians (and certainly not Afro-Asiatic Egyptians), lots of different ancient/medieval cultures had an emphasis on cavalry after the decline of chariots, and just like any similarity that might be found in jewelry it does not mean they were somehow the same culture or directly related. That's just silliness. And no, Greeks and Romans did not descend from Levantine Jews, who were Afro-Asiatic in culture. Phoenicians from Lebanon who became colonial Carthaginians were culturally Semitic like the Jews, but they were not the same exact ethnic group as the Hebrews in Israel. For that matter Semitic Canaanites lived in the Levant well before the arrival of Indo-European groups like the Hittites.

    In short, nobody is lying to you, you're just conflating several things together in a paranoid fashion. It's also common sense that Egypt has no relationship to Scotland. The Princess Scotta myth is quite frankly even more hilarious than the character of Merlin in Arthurian tales (which are also unproven fanciful mythology, largely cooked up by Geoffrey of Monmouth).

    At this point I think I would be very entertained by your opinion on Roman military equipment.
    Let me guess, the early Roman spear was descended from Shang-dynasty Chinese "ji" halberds!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Hastati Logic

    I wouldn t trust akademia historians to too much nowadays especially when new evidence is rising. I wouldn t be surprised if hastati fought with spears instead of swords, their age surely would promote the idea they did not have much combat skills so they most likely fought with spears for safety in battle, and also early hastati most likely used round shields rather than pavise shape ones. Also swords were much more expensive for young poor males drafted into military. But again in history there is at most 5 percent truth told so you can speculate what happened or look for new logical evidence.
    Last edited by bordinis; November 27, 2022 at 03:39 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hastati Logic

    I probably should have clarified in hindsight that I was referring to Camillan Era Hastati, not the Polybian Era ones. I understand that in the Polybian Era they had moved on to more mobile manipular tactics and this merited moving away from the hoplite esque spear and shield style for everyone barring the Triarii. I was just curious since the Camillan Era was when they were still influenced by Greek ideas of warfare with the spear being king on the battlefield, and it doesn't seem to fit with me that the youngest most inexperienced men would use swords and then switch to spears if they survived and were successful enough to make it to the Princepes. Also this is not a historical question per se, but a question for the dev team on their thinking and reasons for the decision.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •