Thread: Illegal occupations and Western double standards (was Turkish-Greek-Cypriot dispute).

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Illegal occupations and Western double standards (was Turkish-Greek-Cypriot dispute).

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    How should the world react to Greece orchestrating a coup in Cyprus and attempting to ethnically cleanse Turks from the island?
    We didn't ethnically cleanse the Turks though. There were crimes, inexcusable crimes for over a decade. And yet, the Turkish Cypriots were still there.

So, the world should react to Greece orchestrating a coup in Cyprus and attempting some ethnic intimidation and national strife the same way they did when Ukraine's Pro-Western forces orchestrated a coup in 2013 and attempted some ethnic intimidation in Crimea: Take Greece's side and punish Turkey. Or how they reacted once the Egyptian Army overthrew the democratically elected Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt: Have their leaders on TV to advise peace, have some mid-high ranks give a couple of interviews that coups are not nice and then go to business as usual.
    And I remind you that the Greeks toppled the junta that orchestrated the coup in Cyprus.

Now, if you ask me how the world should react on Turks attempting (and managing) to ethnically cleanse Greeks from Constantinople, you would get a very different answer.

@Nebaki: If you want to believe that during the invasion a group of Greek soldiers magically appeared in the occupied lands, stole Icons and sold them, then feel free to buddy. I find it idiotic as a stance, but you do you.

"Well I read them too and even clicked on it and some of them are not even present anymore. " <== What do you mean? The wiki articles are there. I quoted wikipedia that despite what you claim is widely accepted as a source since it gives sources. Then you started putting up things and twisting the obvious (that Turkish soldiers pillaged, raped and killed) and I didn't even check your long post as I consider it drivel. And FYI: I also won't check them again.

"Most of it are completly different then your accusations which you claim in your post." + "Well in that case you are wrong then most of it does not even support it or even missing the part which should support your claims." Oooor so you seem to interpret what you read. Which is taking the wrong conclusions.

Let me reiterate just so it doesn't get missed: According to wikipedia's sources, survivors' tales and UN officials, many Turkish soldiers behaved worse than animals, raping, looting and killing and Turkey should have been heavily sanctioned till they leave the island and take the settlers with them.

"Where are those sources went all of sudden?" They are still where they were in my post. If you want a repeat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkis...reek_Cypriots\

"Turkey was found guilty by the European Commission of Human Rights for displacement of persons, deprivation of liberty, ill treatment, deprivation of life and deprivation of possessions.[110][111][112] The Turkish policy of violently forcing a third of the island's Greek population from their homes in the occupied North, preventing their return and settling Turks from mainland Turkey is considered an example of ethnic cleansing.[113][114]"

That goes to you too, @PoVG. We are not the ones that were found guilty of Ethnic Cleansing. Turkey was.

And @Nebaki, here are the numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkis...16_August_1974

"In the process, many Greek Cypriots became refugees. The number of refugees is estimated to be between 140,000 and 160,000.[107] The ceasefire line from 1974 separates the two communities on the island, and is commonly referred to as the Green Line.

After the conflict, Cypriot representatives and the United Nations consented to the transfer of the remainder of the 51,000 Turkish Cypriots that had not left their homes in the south to settle in the north, if they wished to do so."

Yes, before the 2nd invasion and especially after the first, we have been intimidating Turkish Cypriots to leave. But after the brutal invasion and the Turkish military butchering families the UN agreed to the transfer of the Turkish Cypriots if they wished to do so to the rich homes left behind by the Greek Cypriots when they were hunted from their homes by violent and cruel invaders.
    The Hellenic Cypriots were not given the choice when much of the Turkish army was killing, pillaging and raping.

And @Nebaki, those are my sources. You can twist it all you want, but this is what happened. And it is in wikipedia for all to see.

What did the greeks on the island expected? Returning to a unified cyprus and constitution which only favours greeks? Here my previously reply regarding that:
    Ah, here is something we could possibly discuss.

A just deal would be:
    - reunification
    - expulsion of some of the settlers, especially those that showed up from Anatolia, or at least them losing their rights to vote.
    - a constitution that doesn't give seats based on national or religious identity.
    - obviously, laws about respect on religious freedoms.
    - schools teaching both some Turkish and some Greek.
    Last edited by alhoon; November 28, 2022 at 06:59 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.