Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: David Hume's criteria for accepting stories of miracles applied to religious miracles

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: David Hume's criteria for accepting stories of miracles applied to religious miracles

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    conon394,

It may surprise you to understand that the Bible is full of numeric numbers each signifying an importance. Therefore when we see 3, 7, 10, 40, 1,000 we find if applied how important the point is.
    That answers no question I asked and in fact you provided no context at all for you mean.

Simple question why do reject Luke and why accept a version of the synoptic gospels that has a clearly made up child slaughter?

It may surprise you to understand that the Bible is full of numeric numbers each signifying an importance. Therefore when we see 3, 7, 10, 40, 1,000 we find if applied how important the point is.
    It my surprise you to learn classical authors liked to round numbers, and that in any sufficiently large work you can pull nominal patterns of stuff be it words or numbers.

numeric numbers
    Err what I assume you meant magic, mystical or something like that but are there any numbers that are not numeric
    Last edited by conon394; February 02, 2023 at 10:33 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: David Hume's criteria for accepting stories of miracles applied to religious miracles

conon394,

Boy oh boy, how does such a well learned wife manage to live with you? I flung that in so that you might see a little clearer but alas I should have known and kept my mouth shut as it were. No matter what the Bible says and no matter what I say both are wrong in your eyes and yet, you cannot explain why men and women all over this world are being saved from their sin and in most cases coming out and telling of their salvation experience. Perhaps I shouldn't be praying for you, rather your poor wife and family.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    conon394,

Boy oh boy, how does such a well learned wife manage to live with you? I flung that in so that you might see a little clearer but alas I should have known and kept my mouth shut as it were. No matter what the Bible says and no matter what I say both are wrong in your eyes and yet, you cannot explain why men and women all over this world are being saved from their sin and in most cases coming out and telling of their salvation experience. Perhaps I shouldn't be praying for you, rather your poor wife and family.
    Again classical authors rounded numbers. Any sufficiently large book can be rummaged through for apparently significant word patterns or numbers GIGO.

you cannot explain why men and women all over this world are being saved from their sin and in most cases coming out and telling of their salvation experience
    And yet so many more are not having born again experiences and finding comfort and peace salvation in different faiths.

Perhaps I shouldn't be praying for you, rather your poor wife and family.
    Your not Catholic your prayers would be pointless in your own view of Christianity for myself or my family - your Christianity is not transactional are you a Pegan now?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

conon394,

Yes, but in the Bible one doesn't have to rummage to see them. One could also say that is true but then as Jesus said He is the only way into heaven. I am a Baptist and prayer is one of the most important aspects of being a born again Christian, why? Because it is constant contact with God the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit